Is Die Hard an Xmas movie?

Scott1989

Is Die hard an Xmas movie?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Well is it?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Probably the movie equivalent of "Does pineapple belong on a pizza?", is Die Hard (the original one) a Christmas movie?

I say it is and it's the best christmas movie?

What are your thoughts on this?

I've never seen, have no desire to see it because it looks like complete shit, and no it is absolutely not a Christmas movie.

i thought i knew you grace :angry:

9 minutes ago, Graceful said:

I've never seen, have no desire to see it because it looks like complete shit, and no it is absolutely not a Christmas movie.

21 minutes ago, Graceful said:

Aw, that makes me sad to hear :( Hopefully you are not basing that off Die Hard with a Vengeance, Live Free or Die Hard, or a Good day to Die Hard, as they are (imho) rubbish comped to Die Hard and Die Harder, which I think are classics.

sad-pug1.jpg

Just now, Scott1989 said:

Aw, that makes me sad to hear :( Hopefully you are not basing that off Die Hard with a Vengeance, Live Free or Die Hard, or a Good day to Die Hard, as they are (imho) rubbish comped to Die Hard and Die Harder, which I think are classics.

I honestly have no idea what those are.

Just now, Graceful said:

I honestly have no idea what those are.

9f4262a6672833f8aab44dd6448cd482.jpg

Thanks for your honesty.

As I said, knew this was the movie equivalent of pineapple on pizza.

My memory of Die Hard is kind of rusty, but all I can really remember that it took place on Christmas Eve, I believe? I don't recall the main theme being much about Christmas. Only that it took place around Christmas and had some Christmas decorations and outfits here and there. So because of that, I don't really consider it a Christmas movie. But then again I haven't watched it since I was 12, so I can't really recall how Christmas-y it was. Maybe I'll rewatch it and see if my opinion changes.

Just now, Aromanatee said:

My memory of Die Hard is kind of rusty, but all I can really remember that it took place on Christmas Eve, I believe? I don't recall the main theme being much about Christmas. Only that it took place around Christmas and had some Christmas decorations and outfits here and there. So because of that, I don't really consider it a Christmas movie. But then again I haven't watched it since I was 12, so I can't really recall how Christmas-y it was. Maybe I'll rewatch it and see if my opinion changes.

Yeah, it doesn't have anything obviously christmasy, but as I posted int he favourite xmas movie post, I think there are xmas movie based themes in it, but that maybe me just over thinking it.

arekathevampyre

I watch them and they are nice mainly because of the story taking place before Christmas :)

But yeah , they can be awesome subsitutes to those standard Christmasy movies

Lord Jade Cross

I feel like this question has been sked before. Was there another thread like this or did I read it somewhere else?

Anywho, I've seen all the Die Hard movies and I do think its a Christmas movie. 

If its food and you eat it on pizza, its a pizza topping.  If its a movie and you watch it on Christmas, its a Christmas movie.  The intent matters very little to me, its an individuals interpretation that counts. And now I want a pineapple pizza.  

The movie takes place in Christmas time, and its a minor subplot to the movie. Sure it is an action movie, but that doesn't mean it cant also be a Christmas movie. 

Die hard is a Christmas movie.

Die harder is possibly a Christmas movie ish. I do watch it ever year because it's the sequel to die hard and then I remember how good it is and wonder why I don't watch it as often. 

Die hard with a vengence got corrupted (we don't have a DVD player that works anymore so we have all our movies saved on the computer :() and we lost the DVD. I haven't watched any of the other die hard movies but given how they all seem to be disliked I don't think I will.  

• 2 months later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I liked the first in the franchise better than the rest, I remember clutching the arms of the chair back in the 1980s... I was sweating! That Alan Rickman was the consummate pantomime baddie!

Yes, because all the bang and crash is ruined by soppy Christmas sentimentalism. 

I read recently an article that not only said Die Hard is an Xmas movie, but that also said It's a Wonderful Life, what many say is one of, if not the best Christmas movie, is not.

More or less it says Die Hard not only mentions Christmas a lot more, but that from a story point of view, it would not make sense to be set during any other time.

It's a Wonderful Life on the other hand hardly mentions Christmas and literary could take place during any time of year yet still make as much sense and hold the same meanings as it does.

Here it is:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/12/giz-investigates-why-die-hard-is-definitely-a-christmas-movie-and-why-its-a-wonderful-life-is-definitely-not/

• 9 months later...

@Scott1989

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived