How Can I Get Erectile Dysfunction?

Yonder

I want erectile dysfunction. As a person disgusted by everything sexual, erections are of no use to me. If anything, they are just annoying and potentially really embarrassing. So how can I get erectile dysfunction without injury or whatever? I have tried looking elsewhere online but could only find cures to it. Please help. Are there any easy, sure-fire ways? Any ways any of you have heard about?

Erectile dysfunction is definitely not a medical condition you can self-impose purposely by "easy, sure-fire" methods. Typically it happens in older people by having physical (ie. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, nerve damage)  or psychological conditions (ie. depression, guilt, severe anxiety), although some younger people may have this condition too. Some drugs may cause erectile dysfunction, but I highly discourage finding something like that just to rid yourself of a normal function of your body. You could potentially affect much more than you intend (as in physical body parts) and cause yourself harm.

From what I've been told, erections can happen for no reason at all. Perhaps decouple the idea that erections are inherently sexual? 

You can check in the side effects of medications; I've had this to a mild extent as a result of antidepressants --- but try to do this with help from a medical professional! If you explain to your doctor that erections decrease your quality of life and cause you distress, they might be able to help (or, turn out to be a jerk; but, it's worth a try).

Just now, praetorius said:

You can check in the side effects of medications; I've had this to a mild extent as a result of antidepressants --- but try to do this with help from a medical professional! If you explain to your doctor that erections decrease your quality of life and cause you distress, they might be able to help (or, turn out to be a jerk; but, it's worth a try).

Good idea! But how can I make talking to my doctor about it not super awkward?

1 minute ago, Yonder said:

Good idea! But how can I make talking to my doctor about it not super awkward?

Maybe try writing down in advance what you might say, with a list of reasons that erections make you unhappy? You can even start out with "this is going to be really awkward, but there's something I'd like to ask that's important to me." Hopefully, your doctor will be a well-trained professional, who has dealt with other people's awkward, gross, and intimate problems before; they may be able to talk you through it in a not-free-from-awkwardness but not-crushingly-painful manner (and, remember, confidentiality of patient conversations is highly protected under law!).

2 minutes ago, praetorius said:

Maybe try writing down in advance what you might say, with a list of reasons that erections make you unhappy? You can even start out with "this is going to be really awkward, but there's something I'd like to ask that's important to me." Hopefully, your doctor will be a well-trained professional, who has dealt with other people's awkward, gross, and intimate problems before; they may be able to talk you through it in a not-free-from-awkwardness but not-crushingly-painful manner (and, remember, confidentiality of patient conversations is highly protected under law!).

Ok. But should I talk to a psychologist or a physical doctor, or what?

A physical doctor (starting with the general practitioner who would give you a regular exam) is able to prescribe medications, and would be the right one to talk to for a medical fix to problems. Psychologists cannot prescribe medications, though they often work with you to get medications you need --- a psychiatrist is the medical doctor who prescribes medication for adjusting brain chemistry. Talking to a psychologist, too, might be a good idea; their job will be to help you understand your feelings about erections, and whether medically stopping them (versus finding ways to mentally cope with them) is the right choice.

4 minutes ago, Yonder said:

Ok. But should I talk to a psychologist or a physical doctor, or what?

Antidepressants are typically prescribed by psychiatrists (general doctors may refer you to one if mental illness is not within their scope of practice). I would recommend discussing this issue with a psychiatrist or therapist and see what they can offer, but I wouldn't go in expecting that an antidepressant will necessarily be the solution to your problem. Again, I advise against using drugs to solve this, mainly because antidepressants do come with a lot of side effects (sexual dysfunction included) and shouldn't be used if not medically necessary. I am a pharmacist though, so understand that I do speak with bias.

Yeah, to clarify my original post where I mentioned antidepressants --- I meant that as an example of medicines with these side effects, rather than a recommendation that antidepressants are the right choice for your case. When you talk to your doctor, don't try to figure out what medications you need (e.g. don't say "I want antidepressants to stop erections."). Instead, say what the problem is (describing how unwanted erections cause you discomfort), and let the doctor figure out what particular treatments/medications will work best.

Seeing a psychologist also/instead is still a possibility, but not "to get depression medication" (unless you're actually depressed, too, which they can help diagnose) --- distress and anxiety over embarrassing bodily functions may be something they can help you work through from non-medical angles (i.e. not decreasing how often erections occur, but helping you feel less distraught when they do).

9 minutes ago, praetorius said:

Yeah, to clarify my original post where I mentioned antidepressants --- I meant that as an example of medicines with these side effects, rather than a recommendation that antidepressants are the right choice for your case. When you talk to your doctor, don't try to figure out what medications you need (e.g. don't say "I want antidepressants to stop erections."). Instead, say what the problem is (describing how unwanted erections cause you discomfort), and let the doctor figure out what particular treatments/medications will work best.

Seeing a psychologist also/instead is still a possibility, but not "to get depression medication" (unless you're actually depressed, too, which they can help diagnose) --- distress and anxiety over embarrassing bodily functions may be something they can help you work through from non-medical angles (i.e. not decreasing how often erections occur, but helping you feel less distraught when they do).

Don't worry. I wasn't going to ask for specific meds.

Psychologists aren't able to prescribe meds since they're not medical doctors; psychiatrists are.  So probably no point in going to a psychologist.  

Apathetic Echidna

I'm sure there are some medications out there, but I also heard of some ancient sun worship cults who practised over-stimulation so that initiates wouldn't have erections regularly. Of course the method and long term physical impact information is sketchy and translated from dead languages but it is pretty safe to assume the process requires lots of stimulation before getting to the point of non-responsiveness. ~ so my comment is probably no help at all. sorry

I'm not intent on using ancient worship cult stuff, or rumored stuff from the British Navy. As much as I appreciate the sun, I don't really want to dabble in the goat-killing communities.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Bromide, I heard. They used to give it to people who 'ought not to breed' in the asylums etc....however it will lead to unsavoury side effects. Also , I heard there's a piece of equipment that has little barbs on, guaranteed to hurt and reverse any unwanted engorgements! Mind you , I'm no expert...

A combo of opioids and antidepressants will render you nonfunctional.

You are aware of the fact that boners aren't sexual quite a bit of times, are you? Morning wood isn't, for example.

Opoids and antidepressants, a veritable ton of cannabis, you could try morbid obesity (at least 100 pounds overweight.)  You could nofap for like a year and these things would just take care of themselves.  You could meditate.

But in the end tho you want to take a natural bodily function and end it.  Probably slightly dangerous.

As someone who, along with being asexual, also has erectile dysfunction, I would advise, when I passed kidney stones this year, it was far more painful than the spinal cancer I suffered 10 years ago, also, when having a pee, I have to wipe my penis as shaking a limp one. the dregs of pee stick inside the foreskin, hence you get some old boys who stink of pee, especially in the warm weather, yes, in some respects I felt blessed as an asexual not to be able to have erections, but remember this is a natural bodily function, it allows the blood to flow freely around your lower half, stops clotting, I have suffered erectile dysfunction since the age of 19, this can be as embarrassing as having an erection, this is a natural function, I recommend not dabbling with nature.

If you really still feel you need to do something about this, speak with your doctor, they will probably recommend you to an appropriate professional, don't shun them if they recommend you to a sex therapist, they may only be able to offer advice, but remember that these people are professional, they know what they're on about, they've heard most things, so speaking with your doctor really shouldn't be even slightly embarrassing, they can offer the best forms of help to you, I doubt drugs of any description would be involved.

everywhere and nowhere

I would add: remember that you don't have to agree with therapists. If you stumble upon a sexologist who doesn't believe that people can be asexual, you can just tell them that their approach doesn't suit your needs and thank them for their time.

Archived