How to turn someone down without being awkward

Alduin

So recently a girl came on to me and I sort of freaked out. No one knows that I’m asexual and I’d kinda like to keep it that way for now. How do I turn someone down when they come on to me without acting awkward?

Just say "no, sorry, I'm not interested". You don't have to say you're asexual. Actually in my experience it's better not to say you're asexual because once you say that they think they can magically turn you into a sexual person if they harass you enough. Just say you're not interested, and if they want to keep hounding you and making it awkward, that's their problem, not yours. 

Thanks I’d basically just ignored them in the past but I’ll try and tell them I’m not interested. The only problem is I don’t want to sound rude.

I honestly don't think there's a way for it to not be a little bit awkward. If you aren't outright rude about it and just politely turn her down, and she still gets upset, you can't really help that. Honestly, I agree with what was said above, just go for it as politely as you can, and from there it's kind of out of your hands what happens next.

If it's someone you know or interact with, you could also say you just don't see them that way.

If you're friends with each other online already, ask for a 24 hour grace period and decline on messenger?

Or "No thanks I'm not interested" works too.

Apathetic Echidna

the key to not being awkward is being definite and seemingly confident in your statement*

* you don't actually have to feel confident, you just have to make other people think you sound/look confident for the 2-30 seconds you need to turn them down

Or you could just be really weird until they start backing away, and this normally warns everyone else in the room to leave you alone...but they will also think you are crazy

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

You could maybe also say that  you're not in the position to have a relationship. That might end it , or at worst, have it crop up again at a later time, but that'd give you time to think of the next (or same) polite refusal. Good luck!

Archived