Same Sex Asexual Relationships ??

Malllia

I understand that an Asexual person can have a romantic relationship and not a sexual one. But do they have these relationships with both sexes or just the opposite?

Can a Asexual person date a person of the same sex?

Hi there Malllia, and welcome to the forums! :cake:

On to your question: Yes, absolutely! It just depends on the asexual person's romantic orientation. If you're not familiar with this term, don't worry. It's not used much outside of asexual circles. Here is a wiki article on it which is very informative: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Romantic_orientation

Basically, if a person finds themselves feeling romantic toward a member of the "opposite" sex or gender, they would be hetero-romantic. In the same way, if they feel like that toward the same sex or gender, they would be homo-romantic. Bi-, pan- and aromantic are all possibilities as well, among many others. Some people are in the gray area as well, and find themselves attracted to certain genders in a more limited romantic way.

I hope that helped!

Yes, sure. I've dated someone of the same sex before.

You can also have multiple partners of different sexes, if you want to. Everything is possible.

Many of us just date cake though. :cake:

Welcome to AVEN!

It differs. Usually, there is a distinction made between romantic and sexual attraction. There are heteroromantic asexuals, homosexual aromantics, biromantic asexuals etc.

So an asexual person sometimes does have sex. Does a biromantic Asexual do to? 

Orientation is not always related to having sex for obvious reasons.  Anyone can have sex for any reason as long as he's physically capable.  Homosexuals often have sex (and even relationships) with the opposite sex because they would be persecuted otherwise.  Likewise asexuals can have sex (and relationships) with the opposite sex for the same reasons ex. avoiding other types persecution related to not having sex.

Aside from reasons like persecution, anyone CAN have sex with anyone.  A heterosexual man can have sex with another man, for instance.  But typically heterosexual men have sex (and relationships) only with women because why would they not if there are no factors making those things more difficult to do? [sexual orientation] typically have sex with [sexual orientation] because they are sexually attracted to [sexual orientation].

Asexuals may find themselves more often having to compromise by having sexual relationships with any sex because they 1-have no sexual bias dictated by sexual orientation (because they're asexual, whereas heterosexual men have a sexual bias towards women, because they're hetero); and 2-most people are not asexual, so asexuals a lot of the time have relationships with heterosexuals, homosexuals, and so on.

15 minutes ago, Malllia said:

So an asexual person sometimes does have sex. Does a biromantic Asexual do to? 

Sometimes. Some do not. As with asexuals and people in general, it depends on the person.

One could think of it like this: some people like cake, and others do not. Those who do like it do not necessarily like the same kind of cake, filling, topping or even occasion to eat it.

Generally though, asexuals like cake more than sex

Anyone can have sex. Anyone can be in a relationship. Whether they sexually/romantically desire the other person is a separate matter. Some asexuals can bring themselves to sexually compromise and some can't; just like some gay people can bring themselves to have sex with the opposite gender and some can't (same for straight equivalent). Sexuality strictly refers to one thing; WHO someone DESIRES to have sex with. Romantic orientation strictly refers to who one romantically desires. Most have these two parts match up (and thus use one term), but a minority don't (which is collectively called a cross-orientation).

J. van Deijck

there are homoromantic aces on this forum. why would it be impossible at all?

J. van Deijck
3 hours ago, Antihero. said:

How can such a question with such an obvious answer even come to someone’s mind without knowing the answer themselves I wonder?

I didn't want to say it loud, but I wonder about the same thing. :huh:

Archived