Christmas Tree Poll

flagsforhippos

Will you be having an artificial tree or a real one this Christmas?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be having an artificial tree or a real one this Christmas?

• artificial tree
    • real tree
    • no tree
  2. 2. what will be on top of your tree?

• a star
    • an angel
    • a fairy
    • tree with nothing on top
    • other (please share)
    • no tree
  3. 3. what else will be on your tree this year?

• tinsel
    • baubles
    • lights
    • chocolates
    • candy
    • glitter
    • ribbons
    • fake snow
    • figurines
    • other (please share)
    • no decorations - a bare tree
    • no tree
  4. 4. when will you be putting your tree up?

• November
    • 1st Dec - 8th Dec
    • 9th Dec - 16th Dec
    • 17th Dec - 23rd Dec
    • Christmas Eve
    • Christmas Day
    • no tree
  5. 5. ...and when will you take it down?

• the day after Christmas Day
    • before New Year's Day
    • on or before 6th Jan
    • after 6th Jan
    • no tree

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/17 at 11:59 PM

Blueberry Pie

My family has not purchased a real tree yet. We always seem to put one up at the last minute or whenever there is a good deal at the Home Depot my dad works at, so I said Christmas Eve for this poll. We take it down around a week after January 1st. My friend's family, meanwhile, takes theirs down in March or whenever it's all shriveled up! 

My dad is sort of into Christmas, so he enjoys decorating the tree with me and my brother. We place multicolored lights, a million baubles, and a fairy-like angel on the tree. No tinsel or glitter or anything else. Like some other people, I get quite paranoid about the lights causing a fire. I don't want the Christmas tree to become the Christmas flame.

My mom is kind of "meh" about Christmas--she would rather be skiing than decorating a Christmas tree. I'm not a fanatic about the holiday, but I do enjoy the festivities that start after Thanksgiving in the United States. Personally, I don't like it when the Christmas festivities start right after Halloween. Good old Halloween is one of my favorite holidays--I love the spookiness and ability to be something you're not--so I feel like revving up those Christmas friers November 1st or even earlier takes away some of that ghastly Halloween atmosphere. I mean, spookiness and merriness kind of clash each other. I wish at least everyone in the US had the day off on Halloween--it's hard to celebrate it when you have drudgery the during the day or the next day.

I really like non-alcoholic eggnog, gingerbread, and visiting family on the holidays.

I have a mini-tree. I've yet to decorate it, I don't have a lot of space and I have cat (a cat who really likes to do cat things), I'm still deciding between getting a bigger tree with no decoration for my cat to climb on or just use my mini-tree and put it out of his reach .

16 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

for those peeps who use a real tree , what do you do with the tree after the Christmas season ? 

Where I used to live you could put it out on the curb for the city to pick at scheduled/limited times or take it to the city yard yourself. They would shred the trees and add them to the yard waste which gets mulched for people to use.

4 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

Ooh !! I didn't know about that !!

It's essentially the only thing I know of that boy scouts do, other than selling kettle corn outside of Home Depot.

arekathevampyre
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Where I used to live you could put it out on the curb for the city to pick at scheduled/limited times or take it to the city yard yourself. They would shred the trees and add them to the yard waste which gets mulched for people to use.

This is cool . :)

24 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

It's essentially the only thing I know of that boy scouts do, other than selling kettle corn outside of Home Depot.

Haha I don't even know what the scouts here do !!

I don't celebrate christmas (real grinch), hate the general consumerism during the christmas time and I certainly won't get a tree, real or not, or anything else. 

flagsforhippos
8 hours ago, Muledeer said:

real tree = dead tree for Jesus.  without any hope of resurrection.

If I were to ever have a real tree I'd feel I should plant a new one. Very unlikely that I'll have a real one though, my family have had the same artificial tree for decades, it's virtually an heirloom :)

SamwiseLovesLife

I put one up in my room in November and one at work Dec 1st :D

Both artificial with built-in lights, both with baubles and tinsel

Everyone in the Caribbean has artificial trees as the real ones do not grow here. I'm getting myself an entirely pink one.

A star.

My mom decorates the tree so it's the same thing every year. Bubbles, tinsel and lights. Though this year's colour theme is pink. Idk who had a hand in that....no idea at all.

Tradition is to usually put it up on my bday in November.

We take it down before the 6th.

arekathevampyre
Just now, Rhaenys said:

Everyone in the Caribbean has artificial trees as the real ones do not grow here. I'm getting myself an entirely pink one.

A star.

My mom decorates the tree so it's the same thing every year. Bubbles, tinsel and lights. Though this year's colour theme is pink. Idk who had a hand in that....no idea at all.

Tradition is to usually put it up on my bday in November.

We take it down before the 6th.

You have to show us a photo !! A pink themed pink tree is cute !!

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

You have to show us a photo !! A pink themed pink tree is cute !!

Not really cause the current tree has pink and gold. My mother is obsessed with gold and uses it every fking year. The pink isn't the annual colour.

I'm not very fond of Christmas (besides the presents, who doesn't like presents), but I still live with my mother so will have a real tree with some decorations and it'll stay probably till 6th Jan.

We put our tree up last night. We got it for free from my flat mate's mum, it's an artificial black one that's about 5-6ft and comes with lights built in (but we haven't found the plug for them yet). We've decorated it with blue, silver, and pink baubles, with a silver star on the top. At first we had it leaning against the wall because the stand was missing a leg, but we found it hidden with the decorations.

Artificial tree, it's prohibited to cut tree for Christmas. 

I don't remember what we usually put on top of the tree. 

My youngest sister wanted to do it this last weekend, but we forgot, so they will do it the next without me (probably). 

We have it until day 6 or more, if we forget. 

BinaryFission

We sometimes keep our fake Christmas tree up till Valentine's Day...too much work to disassemble after it only being up for the usual time :lol:

On 12/3/2017 at 2:29 AM, arekathevampyre said:

for those peeps who use a real tree , what do you do with the tree after the Christmas season ? 

By the way , I managed to get a mini tree which came with decorations but it was so crappy I had to use our own !! :D

Here it is . 

https://postimg.org/image/hosdrx03v/

https://postimg.org/image/e56g26pp7/https://postimg.org/image/ug6jyhmrf/

Not perfect but whatever !! :D

We used to recycle ours. The trash company usually does that here. They turn it into compost.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:29 AM, arekathevampyre said:

By the way , I managed to get a mini tree which came with decorations but it was so crappy I had to use our own !! :D

Here it is . 

https://postimg.org/image/hosdrx03v/

https://postimg.org/image/e56g26pp7/https://postimg.org/image/ug6jyhmrf/

Not perfect but whatever !! :D

Your tree looked interesting. My parents bought a 9-12in. tree; it came with a tag that said it has a one-year guarantee and came with instructions on how to plant it into the ground, so I think they'll do that after the holidays. I think it'd be neat if it grew larger and was able to be reused and decorated again, next year.

Oh, one year I bought a rosemary bush that was trimmed to shape. It looked pretty good and Christmas-y. And after the holidays were over I planted it in my front yard where it thrived (was still there when I moved away this past Winter). I think I bought it around 15 years ago or more. I occasionally used some leaves from it in cooking. :)

arekathevampyre
46 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Your tree looked interesting. My parents bought a 9-12in. tree; it came with a tag that said it has a one-year guarantee and came with instructions on how to plant it into the ground, so I think they'll do that after the holidays. I think it'd be neat if it grew larger and was able to be reused and decorated again, next year.

thank you !! :)

Wow that is cool !! 

On 12/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, flagsforhippos said:

.... and a partridge in a pear tree  :P

That's gonna be one hell of a tree! Can we please see some photos when it goes up? :)

it's not a particularly great quality photo and is kinda fuzzy and stuff, but this is our tree from last year, sadly, my parents don't know where our ornaments are this year, so our tree might look quite dull... 

Spoiler

XxuoBw2.jpg

looks like last year we had a random santa head as our top of the tree :P 

flagsforhippos

I've just stumbled across this pic, @XYZ96

Spoiler

pexels-photo-261084.jpeg

Amazingly, you're not the only one who decorates their tree with decapitated Santa heads! :P:D

I posted a pic of my Christmas tree in the 2017 photos thread. :)

flagsforhippos

@daveb cool (pun 100% intended) snowman village :)

And you made the buildings yourself !!! Very impressive

My parents used a real tree since forever, but eventually used a fake tree to save on costs. We topped it with a fiberoptic angel, but we have had a star before. We generally do lights and baubles, with some figurines and home made ornaments. We usually put it up after Thanksgiving at some point, but take it down before New Years. 

No tree for me.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by the artificial tree my grandparents had. This was before artificial trees were affordable or popular. My grandpa was a retired firefighter so no fire hazard tree for him. :P He also had smoke detectors in every room except the bathrooms. 

I've got an artificial tree that I bought last year, with a glittery star on top, lights, and various ornaments (some specifically Christmas-themed, some not so much. My zombie flamingo now has a wooly hat on though!).

IMG_20171120_202442_606.jpg

Archived