Fun Facts About My Country

arekathevampyre

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

it kind of relates to geography I guess :o

*nods* yeah it definitely plays a part :)

paperbackreader

7 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

Always wanting to learn more about other people’s culture . 

So are there anything fun , weird or highly misunderstood things about your country ?Share here . 

My country is considered a city , island and country :) 

Singapore? (and I might get shot by the PRC Government; but alternatively...) Hong Kong? 

6 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

My country is the only country that gets an entire continent to itself. It sometimes gets referred to as an island because it shares no land borders with any other continent.

Australia? 

My country of origin is completely transparent about how it thinks corruption is a way of life. 

arekathevampyre
4 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

My country of origin is completely transparent about how it thinks corruption is a way of life. 

Russia ? (omg please don’t kill me)

Our national dish is banned in the US.

And also, you're not allowed to buy alcohol from shops before 10am or after 10pm. Bit of a difference from what I was used to in England, where you can buy it whenever you like, so long as you can find a shop that's open.

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, sea-lemon said:

And also, you're not allowed to buy alcohol from shops before 10am or after 10pm.

we have a similar rule but from before 7am or after 10.30pm to curb the problem of drunkards 

21 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Haggis ?

Yep. Also our national soft drink (Irn Bru) is also banned in it's normal form in f

The US, having to be editted to be allowed. It is however the only country that allows coca cola to be sold in it where the drink isn't the moat drank soft drink, as it is Irn Bru.

Men don't mostly wear kilts here, just on special occations, and Scotland isn't full of highlands. 

Glasgow (largest city but nkt capital city) was once named knife crime capital and friendliest city in europe at the same time!

Our national animal is the Unicorn, hence why the British coat of arms has one!

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Glasgow (largest city but nkt capital city) was once named knife crime capital and friendliest city in europe at the same time!

wow , irony !! :D

3 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Our national animal is the Unicorn,

Oh my !! 😮😍

Irn Bru

What is it made of ? 

Men don't mostly wear kilts here, just on special occations, and Scotland isn't full of highlands. 

My life has been a lie !! Okay I know that kilts are for special occasions but highlands on the other hand ... 😌

I can give three different answers to "where do you come from" and they are all correct. And they are all country names, broadly speaking.

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Midland Tyke said:

I can give three different answers to "where do you come from" and they are all correct. And they are all country names, broadly speaking.

cool !! So where are you from ? 

9 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Scotland isn't full of highlands. 

It is certainly true that the Scottish Highlands aren't full of Scots. But there is a fair percentage, by geographic area, that is highland, isn't there? Much more than your neighbour to the South, at least. ^_^

37 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

we have a similar rule but from before 7am or after 10.30pm to curb the problem of drunkards 

I think that was the reasoning behind the rule here too, although I don't think it works very well - people just end up buying more than they need before the shops stop selling, just in case they run out.

2 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

cool !! So where are you from ? 

I'm from England.

I'm from Great Britain

I'm from the United Kingdom

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm from England.

I'm from Great Britain

I'm from the United Kingdom

Great answer !!! :D

arekathevampyre
4 minutes ago, sea-lemon said:

I think that was the reasoning behind the rule here too, although I don't think it works very well - people just end up buying more than they need before the shops stop selling, just in case they run out.

exactly !! I once saw a young lady (in her early to mid 20s) drunk and she fell asleep on a grass patch at around 6 plus AM  in the morning hahaha 

1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

exactly !! I once saw a young lady (in her early to mid 20s) drunk and she fell asleep on a grass patch at around 6 plus AM  in the morning hahaha 

Haha that's fairly common up here too - I've seen people drinking Buckfast at like 7 or 8am before!

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, sea-lemon said:

Haha that's fairly common up here too - I've seen people drinking Buckfast at like 7 or 8am before!

woah haha :)

i guess it doesn't matter where you are from , then !! :D

- Those blue seas, white sand bs y'all see on any fking thing that mentions the Caribbean only applies to the North coast of my island and the smaller island. The western coast where I live is industrial so the beach waters are brown.

- Nicki Minaj was born on my island. Rihanna is not from my island kthanxbye

- My island's culture is very laid back. Lateness is part of my culture for ffs.

- We used to be a part of Venezuela before the land bridge sunk.

- People say our accents sounds musical.

- We speak Creole english which is just a broken dialect of English. Th > D sounds. Sometimes we ignore R sounds. We usually keep stuff in the present tense which is a mistake I make on here often. 

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Rhaenys said:

The western coast where I live is industrial so the beach waters are brown.

what a waste !! 

36 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

wow , irony !! :D

Oh my !! 😮😍

What is it made of ? 

My life has been a lie !! Okay I know that kilts are for special occasions but highlands on the other hand ... 😌

Irn Bru is made from the girders if Scotland (seriously I have no idea. It's orange but not orange flavoured).

And the Highlands do feature alot of Scotland, just not the whole country. I (and @sea-lemon live in the central belt which is  it the lowlands nor highlands.

As for @Midland Tyke technically living in 3 countries while living in 1(and explination) this should be helpful

Also fun fact about our drinking ban that sea-lemon mentioned. You can't buy non-alcoholic drinks (as in non-alcoholic variation of alcoholic drinks) during the time shops can't sell alcohol. This is because it still "encourages" drinking. Soft drinks are fine though so you can still get a great hangover cure called Irn Bru at 5 in the morning.

Also Scotland now has minimum price laws in place for alcohol to discourage cheap drink and offers that could encourage binge drinking.

arekathevampyre

Irn Bru is made from the girders if Scotland (seriously I have no idea. It's orange but not orange flavoured).

And the Highlands do feature alot of Scotland, just not the whole country. I (and @sea-lemon live in the central belt which is  it the lowlands nor highlands.

As for @Midland Tyke technically living in 3 countries while living in 1(and explination) this should be helpful

Also fun fact about our drinking ban that sea-lemon mentioned. You can't buy non-alcoholic drinks (as in non-alcoholic variation of alcoholic drinks) during the time shops can't sell alcohol. This is because it still "encourages" drinking. Soft drinks are fine though so you can still get a great hangover cure called Irn Bru at 5 in the morning.

Also Scotland now has minimum price laws in place for alcohol to discourage cheap drink and offers that could encourage binge drinking.

ah now I get it !! :)

How about tobacco products ?

Just wondering because though I don't smoke , I realise that the pricing of tobacco products (including rolling papers) are increasing . Lighters are still cheap though haha 

in my country we dont ride kanagroos to school, they arent called koala bears they are just koalas.., it isnt hot 24/7 and its not that dangerous...if youre in the city you wont see a snake or spider or anything that can kill you other than humans...in the bush you might see some animals but mostly they hide from humans. Vegemite and milo are aussie staples and everyone has it. if you dont want to die when camping dont go to the waters edge in Queensland or Darwin cause a salt water crock is most likely gonna grab you and pull you into the water and do a death roll, but that only will happen out in the bush land so if the roads arent dirt youll be just fine. oh and we do have buildings and cities 

Thats melbourne the city where my family and i live, i also live in the bushland, i switch between urban and rural constantly. but yeah no red belly black snakes in the city 

doing-business-melb.png

^What an awesome picture!

Canada has the largest coastline of any country in the world. It's the world's second-largest country, but one of the most sparsely populated. We have the world's largest covered bridge. Our national sports are hockey and lacrosse. We're one of the countries that claims to be home to the North Pole, and thus, Santa Claus.

arekathevampyre

@miettaisace 

What a beautiful photo and description of your country !!

We love milo here :)

I was still panicking if I am gonna encounter any creepy crawlies in the city !! 

@TheAP You just made me fall in love with Canada a little more ❤

My country is often referred to by its inhabitants as «The Hexagon» because apparently it looks like one on the map. 

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Ortac said:

My country is often referred to by its inhabitants as «The Hexagon» because apparently it looks like one on the map. 

I googled 'the hexagon country' and the results pointed to france . Am I right ? 

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

I googled 'the hexagon country' and the results pointed to france . Am I right ? 

Yes, that is correct. Is your country Singapore? 

Archived