Manga Artist Writing About Asexuality - Editor's Question

gaogao

I've not posted in World Watch before and I haven't seen this anywhere here .. but this has been going around and I thought it ought to be archived:

Esteemed manga translator and academic Rachel Matt Thorn has been soliciting replies from the asexual community on twitter. Her friend is writing a manga about asexuality/aromanticism and her editor seems to think that what makes us happy might be different from what makes other people happy.... 

I hope twitter aces can show this editor that happiness comes from within, rather than from a partner or a romantic relationship - for people of all orientations.

LadyWallflower

I'm soooo excited about this! Someone in Japan writing a manga on asexuality... I never thought I'd see it!

Yeaahhh!

I need that. Why are there, like, almost no (fictional) media about asexuality and/or asexual people? I feel like the world just got 10 times better because I LOVE manga.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:06 AM, gaogao said:

and her editor seems to think that what makes us happy might be different from what makes other people happy.... 

Well, I suppose so; being asexual means you're ok without having sex, and aromantics without having relationships, so we're bound to value other things more than most other ppl.

I'm very glad about someone wanting to write on the topic, and both at that, but I am also afraid they'll spread (sadly common) misinformation. They could define the orientations wrong (i.e. include cupioromantics/sexuals as Aro/Ace). Did they say they're gonna define it in the manga or just write about someone with these features? Does the mangaka know that there are sexual Aros? Portraying Aros, I'd imagine it'd be hard to avoid the inclusion of QPRS, in which case I'm afraid of the cupio equivalent in this matter; the non-platonic users of this term that cancel itself out). Some people also don't realize they do feel romantically because it's rare/their first time and past a typical age (and know about QPRs), or what they feel doesn't match up with the norm.

Also, as far as I know (not that I've ever intentionally looked), there is one openly ace mangaka (and likely aro who's confusing the two). Yuhki Kamatani on their social media. Genderqueer too.

@Tortuga Yes, but will it be translated. *the world suddenly went back to getting worse lol*

11 hours ago, Star Bit said:

Well, I suppose so; being asexual means you're ok without having sex, and aromantics without having relationships, so we're bound to value other things more than most other ppl.

Uh... but many sexual and romantic people value things other than sex and partnerships just as much as asexuals do. We're all individuals, after all... and some romantic asexual people might still put a lot of importance on their romantic relationships for their happiness, while some aromantic sexual people might still think their happiness is dependent on having sexual partners.

I think non-ace/aro people need to remember and understand that happiness isn't defined by one's orientation, it's defined by each individual's satisfaction with themselves and what they have in their life. Yes, for many sexual and romantic people there's a focus on being satisfied by sex or a romantic partnership, and in Japan especially, marriage and children are still very much seen as the endgame Key To Happiness in society... but it's important to remember that plenty of non-ace/aro people are also happy without certain aspects of these relationships and there's nothing weird about being happy without them. We shouldn't forget that there are sexual people who would find happiness being free to pursue their interests outside of traditional partnerships in ways that might overlap with how an asexual person might find happiness.

Basically, it's totally valid for anyone to be happy having a good work-life balance, or having time for their hobbies, or for their extended family... just like aces ... and basically I think in Japan's homogenous society it's important to point out that it isn't just asexuals who can find satisfaction/happiness outside of traditional monogamous pair relationships or romance.

11 hours ago, Star Bit said:

I am also afraid they'll spread (sadly common) misinformation. They could define the orientations wrong (i.e. include cupioromantics/sexuals as Ace/Aro). Did they say they're gonna define it in the manga or just write about someone with these features? 

Rachel Thorn who asked the question didn't provide much more information - all we know is that the mangaka is her friend who is a Japanese asexual who wants to write about about asexuality/aromanticism and has been asked to think about 'asexuals' happiness' by her editor. Rachel will be translating western asexuals' responses for her friend.  I don't know what the asexual community is like in Japan, but I think I would defer to a Japanese asexual who is writing about what they have experienced there - even if it's different from what is commonly accepted in western forums and asexual communities.

Also.. personally I really like Yuhki Kamatani's work - especially Shimanami Tasogare. 

LadyWallflower

@gaogao Thanks for the additional info! I'll have to check out her and her previous works!!! I'm excited! There are many different perspectives on asexuality. And it's good to see many points of view!

@gaogao I never said we weren't the same/vastly different. I was just trying to say that alot of sexual ppl hold sex to be a 10, for example, and other things a 9, when asexuals would hold other things at a 10. Just that the values ARE different, but not that we can't share a majority of them. That this slight difference in values does shift the scale.

I think it's important to point out that Thorn also said the mangaka is an asexual as well who recently discovered it. 

Anyway I am glad an ace is doing this and hopefully it gets attention.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mack_Attack said:

What is the manga called. I love manga and would love to read it.

We don't know any details, unfortunately! It seems like the manga is in the editing process - so there may be no confirmed title. I just thought it was interesting to note that an asexual manga artist was actively seeking to get a story about Japanese Asexual experiences published.

I suppose we will have to keep an eye out on anime news network, etc. to find out more - or follow Rachel Thorn on twitter to see if she updates us on her friend's progress.

Archived