• I don't vape or smoke
  2. 2. Why Do you vape/smoke?

• Cloud Chaser
    • Addiction
    • Stress Relief
    • The MEMES #vapenaysh
    • No Real Reason
    • Don't Vape or smoke
  3. 3. For those who don't Vape or Smoke, why?

• Bad for you. (smoke)
    • Cuz
    • Why would I?
    • Don't like the smell (vape)
    • Don't like the smell (smoke)
    • Don't feel the need to
    • Other (explain)
    • I do vape / smoke
    • Bad for you. (vape)

I started Vaping a few months ago partly for the meme, partly for stress relief, and partly to see if I could - so that I can later vape thc and other canibid oils.

I have never smoked, anything.

Say whatever you want I about it, why you do or don't etc.

-edit-

the 'cuz' response is just like for people who don't have a real reason, or can't put it to words, I have a friend who just doesn't like it for no reason. not trying to be an ass with that one.

-edit-

added different option for bad for you to differentiate between vaping and smoking

Explain: I don't for more of an "all of the above" plus.
It's bad for you, the smell is unappealing to me, and I think it would make people look down on me. I don't enjoy the culture around it, it really repulses me. Absolutely no offense meant, personal preference. 
That's for cigarettes and vape sh*t.
Marijuana use I'm totally fine with, but do not partake in.

8 minutes ago, OldSoul said:

Explain: I don't for more of an "all of the above" plus.
It's bad for you, the smell is unappealing to me, and I think it would make people look down on me. I don't enjoy the culture around it, it really repulses me. Absolutely no offense meant, personal preference. 
That's for cigarettes and vape sh*t.
Marijuana use I'm totally fine with, but do not partake in.

Good enough, idc what people think about me so that doesn't bother me. Really don't like smokers & smoking though, but wanted to know anyway. For me, vaping is just really good at dealing with intense amounts of stress, and I think it's funny and its pretty fun to do.

It's the vape culture that gets me. Nothing against the actual action, but bad... "fandom"? If that's what to call it here.
Not one to judge anyone specifically, least of all you or someone here, but I personally wouldn't put myself there just for my own image-anxiety-whatever.

arekathevampyre

I don’t vape , smoke or do marijuana . Because I don’t like the smell of cgarettes/cigar and vape in general and have weak lungs/allergic to tobacco smell (I will start coughing like crazy) . Plus weed is is illegal in my country for as long as I know (and I don’t think I can take the smell too) . 

Curious , does anyone use water bongs (I DON’T) but I see them very commonly around Southeast Asia (where I am from just that my country bans it) 

9 minutes ago, OldSoul said:

It's the vape culture that gets me. Nothing against the actual action, but bad... "fandom"? If that's what to call it here.
Not one to judge anyone specifically, least of all you or someone here, but I personally wouldn't put myself there just for my own image-anxiety-whatever.

I do find the 'culture' pretty silly, but it's usually fun, the people are always super nice to me, and the 'community' aspect of it is cool, just like a passing nod to and from other vapers, I thought it was really dumb initially, but now its like a silly club. I totally understand not liking something because of the 'fandom' but with anything I try to just ignore those people if I want to partake in whatever it is. :)

10 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

I don’t vape , smoke or do marijuana . Because I don’t like the smell of cgarettes/cigar and vape in general and have weak lungs/allergic to tobacco smell (I will start coughing like crazy) . Plus weed is is illegal in my country for as long as I know (and I don’t think I can take the smell too) . 

Curious , does anyone use water bongs (I DON’T) but I see them very commonly around Southeast Asia (where I am from just that my country bans it) 

I live in AZ and most marijuana cannibids (the different chemicals in weed) need a medical card for (or weed as a whole), In a few months I intend on getting a card to try vaping THC for literally all the benefits, idc about the 'high' part; If you read the symptoms that a card is given for, I fit most of the reasons.

I don't do those things because they're bad for you, mostly. But also because I don't like having altered states of mind when I don't have to (I have a fear of things messing with my anxiety meds and others, even though I know it probably wouldn't much). Also, I like to have control over my mind as much as I can. No more possible addictions. Not after what I've dealt with.

Aaaaand also the smell. XD

arekathevampyre
23 minutes ago, Kazka said:

I live in AZ and most marijuana cannibids (the different chemicals in weed) need a medical card for (or weed as a whole), In a few months I intend on getting a card to try vaping THC for literally all the benefits, idc about the 'high' part; If you read the symptoms that a card is given for, I fit most of the reasons.

Interesting .

I don't smoke or vape for various reasons, don't like the smell and cigarette smoke is bad for you. I also for myself never saw any appeal in smoking, cigarettes cost don't seem worth it to me (currently €12 for a packet). 

In my family, both my parents smoked (my father still does) and one of my brothers does but I never liked the smell from it.

I am and always have been vehemently anti smoking. It is disgusting, foul and I resent it when selfish smokers expose me to it in their presence.  Vaping on the other hand, I am perfectly OK with, and in a way I am even pro vaping in that if someone is doing that rather than smoking that can only be a good thing. I knew someone who tried for years and years to quit smoking without success; after every attempt she would always eventually relapse. However when vaping became available, she finally had success with that and managed to keep off the cigarettes. 

I don't vape nor smoke. And I absolutely abhor people who bash, hate, and wish harm upon people who do. I think it is absolutely disgusting how people are so horrible to people who smoke or vape. When I was in high school, I remember I was in maths class, and some guy was saying to his friend that he wished all smokers would just die and be wiped off the face of the Earth. My dad smokes. I can't believe people would wish such horrible things over people they've never met. People they know only one thing about. It makes me sick.

Alcohol isn't that much different. People get second hand smoke from smokers. And people get drunk and cause car crashes. Yet alcohol is so much more accepted. Why? That's just one example. People get addicted to both smoking and alcohol. Yet only smokers should all die in a hole, apparently. Disgusting.

If someone wants to smoke or vape that is their decision. If you want to ban smoking, then you must also ban alcohol, and all other drugs affecting your mental state in a negative manner. 

Could someone please explain the "memes" part to me? :huh:

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Being born in 1960, when everyone smoked, I watched my father smoke himself into a lung cancer, so I had some early tuition in how not to get that disease. Never felt the need to smoke or vape, I spend my money on other things.

I don’t see the appeal at all. No thank you.

Can't stand the smell, and intentionally inhaling solid particles is always bad for your lungs. Don't want to get addicted to anything either.

I vape CBD. Helps with nerve pain and agitation.

6 hours ago, Flower Boy said:

I vape CBD. Helps with nerve pain and agitation.

I got some CBD oil for the same reason (and more) a few months ago, but I think I bought from a bad brand, mine tasted like black pepper and I experienced very small presumably placebic effects if anything, even when vaping a full 4ml tank in an hour. I ordered some from a reputable source off the CBD subbreddit after sharing my experience. 

16 hours ago, Homer said:

Could someone please explain the "memes" part to me? :huh:

When someone does something ironically for laughs basically, like this guy for example: H3H3

Hermit Advocate

I don't vape or smoke. Cigarettes are disgusting and make me want to run out of the room screaming. I hate the smell of marijuana and I personally do not understand the appeal. I don't care what flavor of vape a person is using, it makes my sinuses swell and clog up and give me a horrible cough. If I am in an enclosed room with a vaper/smoker I can't breath. My friends vaping is part of the reason we do not see each other as often anymore. I cannot breath around her. 

Don't, and won't do either. Having watched a relative die a debilitating and drawn out death from a smoking related illness rather puts you off. 

I was more looking for results on vaping from this poll, but decided to put in smoking to see the difference of both the poll and the comments on the two. I understand folks that don't like vaping because it specifically affects them adversely.

However, I wanted to put down some things about vaping:

Compared to smoking anything, vaping is not an unhealthy thing to do (not that the bar is very high), inhaling the smoke of any thing is bad for you, but especially inhaling the burnt substances in cigarettes/tobacco products, which leave poisons and tar along the way.

Vaping on the other hand does not involve inhaling smoke and consists of mainly 2 types of a sweet liquid, that are practically a liquid sugar:

Polypropylene Glycol- FDA - often found in common foods such as: Ice Cream, iced tea, boxed cake mix, packaged frosting & is the main liquid compound found in food coloring

Vegetable Glycerin- FDA - often found in dairy products, obviously fruits and vegetables, canned foods, & extracts and flavorings,

Both of which have little to no evidence for negative health effects on humans.

E-Juice also contains FDA approved flavoring,

It can optionally contain various and clearly marked amounts of:

nicotine- which Isn't inherently unhealthy, has a lot of beneficial stress relieving properties; and who's main qualm is that it can be addictive, especially when it is commonly included in cigarettes in conjunction with other addictive chemicals. As well as caffeine being only about half as addictive as nicotine (according to what oddly small amount of information I could find comparing the two), and is in so very many things, but for some reason is not generally considered a bad thing.

THC, CBD & other cannabis chemicals

The biggest common response to vaping ingredients not being bad is that you shouldn't be inhaling anything other than air anyway, but I have to raise that our air is generally not great quality and is very bad in metropolitan areas, with a lot of lead and other things still being in the atmosphere.

Other than inhaling the actual un-condensed vapor it has little to no smell, and does not last long.

There are no known health problems linked to vaping itself, however it can be argued that there hasn't been enough time to examine long term effects of vaping.

Lastly, vape does tend to leave a small amount of translucent residue on things it condenses on (mostly noticeable on glass), when it doesn't condense into the air. However, it is very simple to wipe, and clean up, consisting of Polypropylene glycol, and vegetable glycerin, although, compared to smoke from cigarettes, which is very difficult if not impossible to get the smell and discoloration out of most things.

17 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Don't, and won't do either. Having watched a relative die a debilitating and drawn out death from a smoking related illness rather puts you off. 

Have seen several family members die to smoking related illnesses, with years of fighting cancer and stuff.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 29/11/2017 at 4:34 AM, Hazel_Elise said:

I don't do those things because they're bad for you, mostly. But also because I don't like having altered states of mind when I don't have to (I have a fear of things messing with my anxiety meds and others, even though I know it probably wouldn't much). Also, I like to have control over my mind as much as I can. No more possible addictions. Not after what I've dealt with.

Aaaaand also the smell. XD

This is why I vape. Non nicotine oil and smells like fruit. It's relaxing without all the toxic crap

9 hours ago, Kazka said:

Vaping consists of mainly 2 types of a sweet liquid, that are practically a liquid sugar, both of which have little to no evidence for negative health effects on humans.

I agree that there's things that are worse for your health than vaping (like smoking or inhaling city air) but I've heard much about sugar being harmful, escpecially synthetical sugar and large amounts of fructose (don't drink fruit juice, people!).

I don't pretend being a saint, I do consume a lot of sugar, but still I don't want to inhale it.

As to why I don't smoke:

1) I consider it a waste of money.

2) I don't want to be dependend on anything I don't need for survival. Don't drink coffee for that reason, either.

3) It's unhealthy.

4) I strive for a frugal life.

5) Can't stand the smell.

10 hours ago, Julian of Norwich said:

I agree that there's things that are worse for your health than vaping (like smoking or inhaling city air) but I've heard much about sugar being harmful, escpecially synthetical sugar and large amounts of fructose (don't drink fruit juice, people!).

I don't pretend being a saint, I do consume a lot of sugar, but still I don't want to inhale it.

As to why I don't smoke:

1) I consider it a waste of money.

2) I don't want to be dependend on anything I don't need for survival. Don't drink coffee for that reason, either.

3) It's unhealthy.

4) I strive for a frugal life.

5) Can't stand the smell.

I totally agree sugar isn't great for you anyway, I try to keep it to a minimum, no soda, juices or coffee either.

Personally, I think aspartame (common synth sweetener) is absolutely horrible, I used to have a really bad soda addiction a when I was 15 or so, and judging by what I can credibly find, I blame a lot of my mental and physical problems on it, and that time.

Nice with the frugal thing, I thought that was the direction I was going to go for a while before I started working, but I decided to dump my money into only a few things I enjoy or QOL stuff, in order to get the most out of them, IE a really good computer, games that I enjoy, content I support, a nice bed, a good car, and now a little bit of vape. It really drives me up the wall when people like my parents spend every dime they have on a bunch of random cheap stuff that they need to replace constantly and performs poorly, and things with little functional value like a few hundred in jewelry every few months, and an over sized house, then complain about living paycheck to paycheck, or say they can't afford to turn up the AC in the summer (arizona).

Didn't want to come off as defensive either, not trying to change anyone's mind. Idc if people do or don't vape, I just felt the need to stick up for it a bit when I feel that a lot of people have the misconception that its just a less bad version of smoking, when there hasn't been any real issue identified with it, and looking at the differences between the two I highly doubt that there is anything relatively un-healthy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen the appeal. Mostly because I've been interested in other types of substances that don't require smoking, and I dislike the act of smoking. Ironically, one of my friends quit smoking, and subsequently starting vaping, only to find that vaping got him back into smoking regular cigarettes again.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:04 PM, arekathevampyre said:

I've only ever used a bubbler (water bong) to vape weed, mainly because I do not like the appeal of smoking and the fact that I'm breathing in water vapor instead of smoke makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.  Both my grandpas on either side of my family died of lung cancer, so I didn't want to inhale legit smoke for my own health.  I'm indifferent to it now that I've tried it.

Personally, vaping marijuana isn't that big of a deal.  I had never tried weed or ever smoked prior, so once I did it I kinda shrugged my shoulders as to why people freak out over its usage and legalization.  I don't see the problem in it at all, if anything a lot of scare tactics are totally wrong.  It is not addictive so long as you don't do it to escape your problems, and it is really effective for anxiety. 

Granted, I'm a bad "smoker" and can't take hits without coughing from the heat, but once I got them in it was a pleasant experience minus the pain in your throat/lungs.  I like the feeling of my mind going blank for once.  My mind never shuts the fuck up so having it completely dead in there for once was really refreshing and calming.  I've only done it a handful of times anyway.

However, I definitely recommend drinking marijuana tea if you prefer the CBC over the THC :)  It has a nice flavor if you like the earthiness.  Combine with peppermint for extra flavor!

Growing up with asthma, I didn't figure smoking was a good choice. I think I've tried four cigarettes and the last time I tried it back in the 80s, I threw up.

Archived