A Romantic Orientations Poll

The_Reluctant_Dragon

What is your romantic orientation?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Here are some options:

• Aromantic- lacking romantic attraction
    • Heteroromantic- romantic attraction towards the opposite sex
    • Homoromantic- romantic attraction towards the same sex
    • Panromantic/Omniromantic- romantic attraction to anyone regardless of gender
    • Biromantic/Ambiromantic- romantic attraction towards two genders
    • Polyromantic/Multiromantic- romantic attraction towards multiple genders
    • Demiromantic- romantic attraction felt until a strong bond is made
    • Frayromantic- romantic attraction is felt if a strong bond isn’t made
    • Grayromantic- limited amount of romantic attraction is felt
    • Lamvanoromantic- wanting to receive romantic acts but totally okay with never giving it in return
    • Placioromantic- not wanting to do romantic things to someone but does those romantic things anyways
    • Akoiromantic/Lithromantic- feeling romantic attraction and not wanting those feelings to be reciprocated
    • Quiromantic/WTFromantic- having difficulty understanding different attractions
    • Autoromantic- feeling romantic attraction towards oneself
    • Maromantic/Androromantic/Phalloromantic- romantic attraction towards males and/or masculinity
    • Womaromantic/Gyneromantic/Yoniromantic- romantic attraction towards females and/or femininity
    • Nomaromantic/Noandroromantic/Nophalloromantic- romantic attractions toward anyone who isn’t male or masculine
    • Nowomaromantic/Nogyneromantic/Noyoniromantic- romantic attraction towards anyone who isn’t female or feminine
    • Chameleoromantic- a person who is romantically versatile when it comes to the gender of their partner(s)
    • Other
  2. 2. Here are more options:

• Sapioromantic- romantic attraction towards intelligence
    • Skolioromantic/Ceteroromantic- romantic attraction towards non-binary, genderqueer, and non-conforming people
    • Triromantic- romantic attraction towards three genders
    • Monoromantic- romantic attraction towards one single gender
    • Tryromantic- feeling romantic attraction to someone but willing to experiment with another
    • Reciproromantic- only feeling romantic attraction once realizing someone feels romantic attraction towards them
    • Requiesromantic- not feeling romantic attraction due to past experienced trauma
    • Androgyneromantic- romantic attraction towards androgynes or androgyny
    • Noandrogyneromantic- romantic attraction towards anyone who isn’t an androgyne or who isn’t androgynous
    • Vexromantic- not understanding the concept of romantic attraction
    • Bellusromantic- not feeling romantic attraction and is repulsed, but, are okay with doing behaviors traditionally associated with romantic attraction
    • Borearomantic- having exceptions to your usual orientation
    • Caligoromantic- feeling romantic attraction that is very weak or vague
    • Cupioromantic- not feeling romantic attraction but wanting a romantic relationship
    • Already Picked An Option Above
    • Other
  3. 3. Here are even more options

• Dissociatromantic- someone who dissociates regularly while engaging in romantic activities
    • Apothiromantic- an aromantic who is romance repulsed
    • Pothiromantic- an aromantic who is romance positive
    • Abroromantic- one who’s romantic orientation constantly changes and fluncuates.
    • Idemromantic- feeling romantic and platonic feelings in the same way
    • Idioromantic- feeling romantic and sexual feelings in the same way
    • Neuroromantic- romantic attraction towards people who lack gender
    • Specioromantic- romantically attracted to individual traits regardless of gender traits
    • Sansromantic- without any consistent romantic orientation or preference
    • Noviromantic-experiencing a complicated romantic attraction
    • Apresromantic- only feels romantic attraction after another form of attraction is felt
    • Thymromantic- feeling romantic attraction which varies depending on emotional state
    • Novoromantic- your attraction changes based on the gender(s) you’re experiencing
    • Aegoromantic/Autochorrisromantic- fantasizing about romance or romantic things, but never wanting to do those things or experience those things in real life
    • Ceaseromantic- similar to aroflux, arospike, and arofluid (look down below)
    • Desinoromantic-one who doesn’t experience full-on romantic attraction
    • Other
  4. 4. A couple more options:

• Proquuromantic- romantic attraction towards masculine people when you’re masculine
    • Proquaromantic- romantic attraction towards feminine people when you are feminine
    • Aliquaromantic- not normally feeling romantic attraction
    • Amicusromantic/ Culparomantic- romantically attracted to people you’re platonically attracted to
    • Finromantic- attracted to femme identifying people
    • Fictoromantic-romantically attracted to fictional characters
    • Fantaromantic-romantically attracted to people you fantasize about
    • Intraromantic- romantically attracted to someone with similar systems and traits as you
    • Icularomantic-being aromantic but open to romance
    • Duoromantic-having two romantic orientations that change between each other
    • Casromantic/Medromantic- being indifferent towards romance
    • Antiromantic- being against romance entirely
    • Penulromantic- feeling romantic attraction towards every gender except your own
    • Polarromantic-feeling either extreme attraction or intense repulsion
    • Preromantic- someone who thinks since they haven’t experienced enough attraction, they can’t know their orientation
    • Spectraromantic- romantically attracted to someone who falls in a spectrum of identities and labels
    • Questioning Your Romantic Orientation
    • Compound Orientation
    • Other

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

"Does not experience romantic attraction". Pretty binary. Either you do at some point or you don't.

Seems clear enough --- all you need now is to provide a definitive binary definition of "experience romantic attraction" that doesn't seem arbitrary and invalidating to lots of other people's experiences. I see descriptions of "non-romantic" that pretty much span the spectrum from "seeking queerplatonic life cuddles partner that's totally not romantic" to "I hate all people and don't want to be in the same room as one." I've got my own reasons for identifying as aromantic, but they aren't exactly a point-like representative of everyone else with good reasons to choose the label.

4 minutes ago, praetorius said:

I see descriptions of "non-romantic" that pretty much span the spectrum from "seeking queerplatonic life cuddles partner that's totally not romantic" to "I hate all people and don't want to be in the same room as one."

Yet they all have this one thing in common - they don't desire to connect romantically with others. That's all there is to it. Whatever else they are looking for (be it a QPP or just to be left alone) doesn't play a role. Many roads lead to Rome, but at the end of the day you still end up in Rome.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yet they all have this one thing in common - they don't desire to connect romantically with others. That's all there is to it. Whatever else they are looking for (be it a QPP or just to be left alone) doesn't play a role. Many roads lead to Rome, but at the end of the day you still end up in Rome.

The point I was trying to make is that, towards the "queerplatonic cuddles partner" side of the range, you start blending into things that other people might say "that's actually what I'm looking for when I think about a romantic relationship." Within the variety of millions of people's experiences,  you're going to find edge cases where one person might say "that actually sounds like a variety of romanticism," and another will say "but it's different (from the thing I claim to have no experiential understanding of)." For the complicated edge cases, where do you draw the line between "queerplatonic" and "no, that's just romanticism with some personalized twists"? And, what's the boundary between "has never experienced romantic attraction" and "way back when I was a confused teenager, I felt something that I categorized as romance?"

Many roads lead to Rome; some lead to the outskirts in  the suburbs around. Who gets to draw the exact line on the map, saying "this house is in  Rome; this one next door isn't"? We let the Italian government negotiate that with the Vatican --- who are those definitive authorities in the geography of asexuality, and are their lines based on more than arbitrary whim?

Another complicating factor is that sexual aromantics like me exist.

Can I just say that I'm glad I'm relatively uncomplicated when it comes to this topic?  It's one of the few things about which I am uncomplicated! LOL

I'm not sure. IRL I usually tell people I'm panromantic because I would definitely date people of every gender. But I also consider myself (and voted) quoiromantic because the attractions I feel towards someone affect each other / overlap all the time.

I do have a boyfriend and I do love him, but I can't tell whether my feelings for him really are any different than the platonic feelings I have for my close friends or just more intense (he definitely IS my best friend, too). I definitely do have romantic crushes, but I also have squishes and often I can't really distinguish them.

I think I just want people to like me and give me affection in ANY way, and because I feel like many people kind of value romantic relationships more than friendships, I would love them to see me as "special" enough to develop romantic feelings (or even sexual desires) for me... :D (Although I have no desire for sex myself and usually don't act very "romantic" in a relationship.) I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else than me, though.

I consider am greyromantic / grey-aromantic but cupido and ficto are secondary options 

Apathetic Echidna
On 28/11/2017 at 5:34 PM, miettaisace said:

omg these labels are getting crazy..so hard to keep up with them all tbh.

just want to say: Do you need to? Knowing about a specific label because it relates to yourself or someone you know is important, but who is going to know that many people who identify that many different ways? If you do happen to have to keep up with the list then you are worthy or some sort of discussion organiser or awareness leader or counsellor level kudos. 

• 2 weeks later...

This many labels are only useful for self identification purposes.

If we single ourselves out so specifically on our experiences so far, then we're more likely to feel isolated and misunderstood.

As long as we understand ourselves at the present moment and don't attach ourselves to a label that may not be correct tomorrow, next week/month/year then we can be more free to commune with others who are mostly like ourselves rather than exactly like ourselves.

Even being an ace-aro introvert I understand the value of community.

As another point, it would be interesting to know the average age for each selected answer in this poll. I would guess that it's predominantly the younger AVENites who identify with the more specific romantic orientations.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to think I was heteroromantic but now it's between androromantic and polyromantic since I became more open to genderqueer people.

I used to look a little bit into recipromantic/reciproromantic, but after some thinking about past attractions, I'm certain that I'm heteroromantic ^^

And whether those label options are considered excessive or not, I gotta say, kudos for taking the time and effort to include them all!

• 4 weeks later...
questioningmyself

So I think I managed to break myself down.

Heteroromantic- romantic attraction towards the opposite sex

Aegoromantic/Autochorrisromantic- fantasizing about romance or romantic things, but never wanting to do those things or experience those things in real life

Fictoromantic-romantically attracted to fictional characters

Fantaromantic-romantically attracted to people you fantasize about

This helps me a lot. Thanks for putting up all the labels!

• 1 year later...
Black Towel

I don't know what to say about my romantic orientation because for now I'm questioning myself but I have a specific trait/personality (desire) that I would wan't to have to the person I would fall into... and plus I only had fallen in love once in my entire life and suprisingly, to the same gender of mine (male) but it's not that I'm homoromantic... I felt that attraction toward him because of some of his traits that I took liking and makes me fall in love with him....

Is that demiromantic?

• 3 weeks later...
Dreamsexual

Archived