What are your parents' sexualities?

Zebrafinch

What is your mother's orientation?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is your mother's orientation?

• Asexual aromantic
    • Bi/Pansexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Homoromantic asexual
    • Heteroromantic asexual
    • Bi/Panromantic asexual
    • Other
  2. 2. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being very asexual and 5 being hypersexual, how sexual is she?

3. 3. What is your father's orientation?

• Asexual aromantic
    • Bi/Pansexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bi/Panromantic
    • Heteromantic
    • Homoromanitc
    • Other
  4. 4. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being very asexual and 5 being hypersexual, how sexual is he?

5. 5. Do you have siblings?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Are any of them asexual?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly

This poll is closed to new votes

On 11/23/2017 at 11:47 AM, TheAP said:

They are both straight, to my knowledge. They don't seem very sexual, but I don't know how sexual they are, because I've never talked about it with them before.

Hah yeah they could have a BDSM dungeon hidden under their bed for all you know, it's not the sort of thing parents would want their kids to know about :P 

4 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

Hah yeah they could have a BDSM dungeon hidden under their bed for all you know, it's not the sort of thing parents would want their kids to know about :P 

Okay now i got a weird picture in my head i cant get rid of:D

I love how we are supposed to know how sexual our parents are. ha ha. I'm really close to my family, but I don't think that specific question has come up with either of them.

It woukd make sense if it was inheritable...

My mother is quite sexual, even at her age. I have many siblings as well. I seem to be the odd one out though. Only one in my family is LGBT+.

My father isn't very sexual, as far as I know. I take after him quite a bit. So i might have inherited his low libido, on top of my genetic disorders, and very low contact to sexual stimulus. It is no wonder why I am asexual.

This is the kind of thing you desperately want to know, but don't want to ask.

I am pretty sure some of my relatives are on the ace spectrum, but I've never asked about it, and nobody has volunteered the information.

Is it weird that I would love to have that conversation?  As an ace, it seems somewhat impersonal to me, whereas it would likely make someone feel awkward or uncomfortable to talk about it.  On the other hand, I don't want any TMI, so guess it's better to err on the side of mystery...  

On 22/11/2017 at 11:34 PM, Zebrafinch said:

I've been wondering how heritable asexuality is, so I thought I'd ask. Educated guesses/speculation is encouraged.

Ace-spec responses only, please. 

I believe there is some heritability. I haven't filled the poll because it lacks some in between possibilities (differentiating between asexuality and asexual spectrum sexualities + the last question should have a "I don't have siblings" box so that only children don't mess up the yes/no)

Not to criticise for no reason, I'm just not sure how to answer it. Anyway both my parents are on the ace spectrum but I would not call either of them asexual, nor would they call themselves that. My mom is definitely demi, not sure about my dad but he cares more about companionship in their marriage, they both do.

Divide By Zero

I'm having a lot of difficulty imagining my parents as sexual, although they obviously have had sex at some point in their lives (either that or my brother and I were delivered by a stork :D).

I have often wondered if sexual orientation is to some degree heritable and whether those who are not heterosexual are that way because of genetics. My mother has a first cousin who is gay and I have often wondered if there is some sort of connection there. Perhaps there is something floating around in the gene pool on my mother's side of the family that caused, or contributed to, me being asexual and my mother's cousin being gay. On my father's side of the family, he has three first cousins that I have often wondered if they are grey sexual and/or grey romantic. One cousin married when he was in his 20s, divorced a decade later, and, as far as I know, he has never shown much interest in relationships since then. Another cousin married for the first time in her 60s and I think she only a few relationships before that. The third cousin has never married, although she's had a few relationships over the years.

• 2 months later...
Fluffy Femme Guy

Both my parents are heterosexual. But I've never seen my father do anything romantic ever. (Some sort of sexual/aromantic possibly?)

My father's parents were both straight. My father's aunt was a lesbian, however.
Both my mother's parents were straight too.

My sister (who is nearly 11 years younger than me) is pan-sexual.

I do have two cousins (one from each side) that have non-hetero sexuality.

One cis female lesbian cousin on my mom's side.
And a cis female who's most likely an ace/aro on my dad's side. (I'm not totally sure, but she barely/never showed any romantic/sexual interest in either guys or girls. She really keeps to herself, and seems very uninterested in people in a very broad sense. She's certainly 'different' in that regard, esp. all her other sisters are married with kids.)

My parents have been divorced for some time.
The divorce happened at the end of my middle school years or the very beginning of high school, but it was never a good marriage from the start.
(Don't worry I'm not sad/upset about this, it needed to happen. I barely interacted with my father anyway)

As far as I know, my father never cheated, neither did my mother.

My mother dated only one guy post-divorce. After that ended she said she's most likely not going to bother with that anymore.

Since the divorce he's had a few girlfriends, but none of the relationships seemed (to me) very affectionate.

On questions 2 and 4, I put down both my parents as 2, since they certainly aren't ace or near-ace but they seem to be less than 'average' in that regard.

It wasn't until my junior year of high school that I learned that parents being affectionate/romantic was considered 'normal', I just wanted them to stop arguing/fighting and get along.

Sorry for the somewhat upsetting tangents, but I think they provide some relevant information.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom is heterosexual but she doesn't really seem interested in sex anymore based on her views of it so she could be a closet heteromantic asexual.

My dad is definitely heterosexual and really likes sex and even cheated on my mom to have sex with other women so that deeply tells a lot about him. 😕

siblings wise. my older sister is heterosexual trying to find someone. my younger sister to me seems asexual and aromantic but i haven't sparked a conversation about it with her yet and probably won't want to. my younger brother ? too young for it . i do have a lesbian cousin on my dad's side of the family and she's a very nice person :)

FallenAngel9799

Once I asked my mom and dad "Sex or chocolates?" Mom answered chocolate, dad answered sex.

I have a weak hunch that I may have inherited my gray asexuality from my mother.

Also, a fatherside relative of mine is still single, and maybe aro-ace.

• 4 weeks later...

My mom was heterosexual, but outsiders would think she was lesbian. I say 'was' because she passed away 6 years ago. My other parent is a trans woman. I think my mom refused to call herself lesbian, even though she accepted/knew my parent was a woman. She also loved her dearly. I can't really say how sexual she was. She was very open about sex stuff though. Doesn't necessarily mean she was hypersexual. 

I sometimes still call my other parent Dad, but often I've defaulted to parent instead. She's not a man. This poll seems very hetero/cis-centered. There are a lot of families out there with either both parents that are the same gender and/or are non-binary. Anyways, she's either bisexual or pansexual. She's unsure which one. I can't say how she rates on being sexual. Again, that seems kind of something more 'personal' than I'd want to know. She's always had a very dirty sense of humor, but that doesn't mean she's hypersexual. I'm aro ace. This has also made her question her orientations, too.

I have no idea how my mom would have taken me being aro ace. She felt like a failure because I didn't like dating (or really get it), I didn't seem to be interested in having kids or really trying, and as my parent says I was never a 'clotheshorse'. That last bit might have referred to me being agender. Another thing I wouldn't know how she'd take. I know she was a very accepting and supportive person, but all this might have been too much. It took her a few years to fully support my parent, and then it was like a watershed moment. She suddenly embraced that fact deeply. I'm just so different, that it might have been a different experience with me.

• 4 months later...

@Zebrafinch

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived