• Electroswing
    • Synth pop
    • Ambient
    • Dance punk
    • Chiptune
    • Eurobeat
    • Not listed

This poll is closed to new votes

Its pretty criminal that most music is just classified under "electronic" or "dance" when there are SO many genres and subgenres of it that are completely different.
If you go looking somewhere that only uses the "electronic" label for one specific genre you most likely will not be able to find it, especially since most pop these days are also under that category. (Which I personally find annoying as heck, especially since they're always at the top of the results and just clog it all up.)

Anyways I'm curious to know everyone's favorites. My personal favorite is drum and bass. I also like dance punk, electronic rock, drumstep, and sometimes chiptune. Though punk is my favorite rock subgenre so drum and bass and punk together is just the PERFECT combination to me. (feel free to recommend some songs/artists to me!)

I predict most people will pick house, trance, or techno and the least will be garage or ambient. We'll see how this goes ;)

~Cheetah

My answer: Not listed

Reason:

I like ALL forms of EDM, and there was no option for all so yeah.

Man oh man I like this type of music, but hard to pinpoint subgenres.

Here are my favorites off my head (not in any order). Not sure on the subgenre or even if they are under the EDM umbrella:

Cartoon - Immortality (ft. Kristel Aaslaid)

Avicii - Divine Sorrow (ft. Wyclef Jean)

Stephen - Crossfire

Gold Dust; Firebird; Hunter - Galantis

Zedd - True Colors (ft. Kesha)

David Guetta & Afrojack - Another Life

Calvin Harris - We'll Be Coming Back (ft. Example)

I like EDM with good beats, and/or good lyrics.

58 minutes ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

My answer: Not listed

Reason:

I like ALL forms of EDM, and there was no option for all so yeah.

I think you could have checked all of them but honestly who would do that its so time consuming lol
So that is a valid reason for picking not listed.
~Cheetah

J. van Deijck

industrial, hands down.

although I wouldn't call it EDM if this is 'pure industrial', but I'm in love with 'fusion' post-industrial genres that are influenced by EDM, here's EBM (then also aggrotech), TBM, powernoise, futurepop, dark electro and such.

Trap/Future Bass, Electro Swing, Synthwave, Chillhop, and Progressive House (stuff like deadmau5, etc) are my absolute favourites.

I do like some Dubstep (especially the more chilled variety like Seven Lions, Skrux, Venemy, etc), Drum and Bass, and Electro House/Big Room, but I'm a bit more picky with those subgenres.

I love dubstep, also sometimes industrial, dark ambient, and techno.

On 11/21/2017 at 2:45 AM, Only Afloat said:

Man oh man I like this type of music, but hard to pinpoint subgenres.

Here are my favorites off my head (not in any order). Not sure on the subgenre or even if they are under the EDM umbrella:

Cartoon - Immortality (ft. Kristel Aaslaid)

Avicii - Divine Sorrow (ft. Wyclef Jean)

Stephen - Crossfire

Gold Dust; Firebird; Hunter - Galantis

Zedd - True Colors (ft. Kesha)

David Guetta & Afrojack - Another Life

Calvin Harris - We'll Be Coming Back (ft. Example)

I like EDM with good beats, and/or good lyrics.

Yes, most of them are EDM! I say "most" because I don't know all of them, but the ones I do know are definitely classified as EDM. (Zedd, Calvin Harris, Avicii, and I think David Guetta too) I think they usually are under some sub of house music, like progressive house or electro house.

~Cheetah

I don't even know tbh. I like some songs/bands that are probably considered EDM, but I have no idea which individual genre they'd belong to. 

These are some groups I like that can possibly qualify as EDM.

The Knife, Vitalic, Robin Schulz, Avicii, Mindless Self Indulgence, Far East Movement, Kygo, Lights, Daft Punk, Skrillex, LMFAO, Deadmau5, M83, Benny Benassi, Tiesto, Datarock, Martin Solveig, Breathe Carolina, The Prodigy, Aural Vampire, The Medic Droid, Depeche Mode, Calvin Harris, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, DyE, Passion Pit, Zedd, 3LAU, Shiny Toy Guns, David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia, The Chainsmokers, Morgan Page, t.A.T.u., 3OH!3, Combichrist. 

Breakbeat, dance punk, and industrial.

everywhere and nowhere

None. I just don't like this kind of music at all.

• 5 months later...
Grumpy Alien

I opened the thread to find out what EDM is.

Skycaptain

Industrial, Synthwave, techno. Basically high-energy bass-heavy stuff 

J. van Deijck

great to see I'm not the only one who likes industrial :D

Dubstep,Drumstep and eurobeat ( i can thank Initial D for that:D)

everywhere and nowhere
On 7.05.2018 at 4:50 AM, Pramana said:

EDM makes little sense to me in the absence of psychedelics. Literally cannot listen to it sober.

I don't think that it would work for me even under the influence of psychedelics. I just don't feel anything spiritual about such music at all. I prefer ethnic music for tripping.

Alejandrogynous

I listen to Industrial, synthwave, and electroswing. (But there's a whole bunch listed here that I don't even know what they are, lol. Does this mean I'm old?)

• 1 month later...
AcesAndChill
On 5/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, Graceful said:

I opened the thread to find out what EDM is.

It's a broad term that envelopes many MANY subgenres. Basically its that kind of music made with synths and not usually many "real/live instruments" like guitars, drums, ect, and if there are any they usually aren't the main focus. The genre of EDM ranges so much its hard to put a more specific definition than that, unless we start getting into the subgenres. 

On 5/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, Alejandrogynous said:

I listen to Industrial, synthwave, and electroswing. (But there's a whole bunch listed here that I don't even know what they are, lol. Does this mean I'm old?)

No, it doesnt mean you're old lol. Theres way too many subgenres to know all of them imo, I had to look up a bunch as well. And it doesnt help that theres constantly new ones being created or crossed with other ones. 

Trance, Synthwave, Prog, Ambient, and Trap (if done right).

Unlisted: Zeuhl, though its not all that great for dancing. It is for the afterparty with some smokes on the nighttime balcony. :)

• 5 months later...

@AcesAndChill

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived