Transgender Day of Remembrance 2017

michaeld

I couldn't find another mention of it on AVEN, so I thought it appropriate to mark Transgender Day of Remembrance, which is today. This is not a celebration - rather it's a time to reflect and remember those who have been killed in the last year as a result of transphobia. Please see the site:

https://tdor.info/

for more information. Note that this site has stringent criteria for inclusion on their list: independent media verification is required, and it has to be a result of transphobic crime. Trans-related suicides, for example, are not included. And it's still a very long list. :(

This is only a stub posting as I'm not the most qualified person to write about this subject. But trans and non-binary is such an important part of our community that I thought we should have something up today. Thoughts welcome.

Thank you for posting this, Michael. This is an important issue to be aware of, and I hope as society progresses, it becomes more accepting of trans people so that this happens less. My thoughts are with the loved ones of everyone killed.

thank you for posting, michael.

they are in my thoughts as are the family and friends of those murdered.

butterflydreams
1 hour ago, michaeld said:

Trans-related suicides, for example, are not included.

That's unfortunate, but I understand the purpose of the list. The suicide number would give a much more accurate picture of the state of things I feel.

I selected a few at random and googled them but couldn't find much information about the circumstances of their deaths. It's always so hard to tell if people are being killed because they're trans, or unrelated circumstances. I wish we could know that. It might help to show where the problems are. I remember some months back, there was news that a trans man was killed basically in the city I live in now. Police ruled it wasn't because he was trans, but because he was homeless and got into some kind of altercation with someone. But at least we know the circumstances of what led to it.

my thoughts go out to all who suffer because they’re trans

We need to raise more and more awareness so people know trans and nonbinary folks are real and that they are a part of the community. We need to make sure they feel welcome too and that there is a safe space for them to go to if they feel the need to find like-minded people.Reaching out to them is sooo important.

Was looking into this out of curiosity, and ended up thinking "WTF?!!?" when I read this

[TW]

On Jan. 4th 2017 L. C. Marinho became the first of the known 19 Brazilian trans people murdered so far this year.

http://planettransgender.com/transgender-woman-stabbed-23-times/

That would of been horrific if it was an article from last week or something but that was published back in  January!!! I can't even describe how sad I am it read it, or how horrible that is. And that is just 1 country. That alone should show that the above is needed rememberance is needed.

Thoughts go out to all those affected.

Siimo van der fietspad

Brazil is astonishing. There is nearly one murder every day in the country; other Latin and South American countries do not come off much better. 

Thanks for posting.

Brazil is indeed a leader in killing Trans people. That is so sad.

Here is a list of this year's people to remember:

https://tdor.info/

Were suicides counted, the list would be incredibly longer.

*hugs all*

Calligraphette_Coe
11 hours ago, Kelly said:

*hugs all*

Longer still, the list of us who have felt a thousand little deaths when some stranger wrecks our karma with stinkeye. You feel it like one would feel the fear and uncertainty of seeing that red laser dot on you that means an Empathy Assassin is lining up a view to a spiritual kill.

You never feel safe, you always feel vulnerable. You feel that Zeitgiest that never changes towards us like a Cyclops wielding a hammer to enforce conformity and denial, and you look at that one eye and feel each one of those thousand little deaths. It's a day of rememberance that can never be forgotten-- it's every day when you're like us.  :(  

I know  I'm always thinking, "Will today be the day when they finally figure me out, Out me, and then fire me from the one thing in life that gives me a sense of purpose? It's bad enough that they demoted me for not being some kind of gallant leadership hero, will they take the technical accomplishments and plagiarize those, too?" It's like asking 'who is John Galt?' and finding out they won't let it be you. Never. Ever. Just Because.

No way to live. Not a good way to die.

I have heard it suggested that one reason Brazil is so much higher than other countries is because it does a better job of reporting transphobic murders. Which means the list could be a lot longer still. :(

butterflydreams
On 11/25/2017 at 10:11 AM, Kelly said:

*hugs all*

This is by far the most disturbing part to me. I've "been there" and I know how easy that final step can sneak up on you. 

Archived