Do you collect anything?

otachi

I'm a big collector.

I used to collect mainly stationery stuff, like pens and notebooks. I had over 30 notebooks with no use for them, besides over 100 pens that I also didn't use. I kept the pens but gave away most of the notebooks because I was running out of space. I also used to collect comic books, but now I read them online and only buy issues IRL when John Constantine is in them. I have a ton of books-books as well, but that's because of my choice of career. Since I've runned out of space in my room, I only buy e-books now.

One thing that I've been collecting since 2014 is dolls. I don't really like Barbie herself because she triggers my gender dysphoria, but I'm a big fan of Monster High. I like their aesthetic and that they are poseable - boy, how I wished I had poseable toys when I was a kid. Unfortunately, due to trauma issues, I have to give away some of my dolls because they were bringing me bad memories, but I've kept some. I also happen to have two barbies: one I bought solely because of her body to put it with one of my other doll's head, and the other one because the poseability was really interesting.

My current collection of dolls consists of:

Spoiler

Monster High:

13 Wishes: Twyla
Art Class: Robecca Steam
Freak du Chic: Gooliope Jellington

Frightfully Tall: Frankie Stein

Getting Ghostly: Spectra Vondergeist
Ghoul Fair: Scarah Screams
Great Scarrier Reef: Posea Reef
Haunted: Kiyomi Haunterly
Haunted: River Styxx
Haunted: Vandala Doubloons
Monster Exchange: Lorna McNessie
New Scaremester: Catty Noir
Original Favorites: Frankie Stein
Picture Day: Operetta
Zombie Shake: Venus McFlytrap

DC Superhero Girls

Batgirl

Novi Stars:

Tula Toned

Iris Clops

Barbie:

Black Label: Spock

Made to Move: Blue top

Made to Move: Orange top

(do these Barbie Made to Move have names? idk)

Icy Doll:

Mint green hair

Ye Luoli / Night Lolita:

Butterfly girl

I don't actually play with them, I only put them on display and take pictures. The only ones I "play" with are Iris Clops and Butterfly Girl (whom I've yet to give a name). I've removed Iris' hair and turned her into an original character of mine, who is an alien named Ben. I also plan to modify Gooliope because I really dislike her skintone (she is bright pink), but that will take a while. I've put MTM Blue top's body on my Icy girl (named Alana).

Other than dolls, I also have some action figures. Here's a much shorter list:

Spoiler

Pacific Rim:

Gypsy Danger

Striker Eureka

Sailor Moon SHFiguarts:

Sailor Uranus

So, do you collect anything?

I collect trading cards. I have Magic the gathering, Pokèmon, and Yugioh. 

I also collect dragon stuff, religious stuff, pagan stuff, and anime stuff. 

I also collect weapons.

J. van Deijck

human souls.

except this, I'm much like you. I collect pens and notebooks that I barely have any use of. but I love them all and I want more <3

J. van Deijck
Just now, Yato said:

I also collect weapons.

this is especially interesting <3

3 minutes ago, Yato said:

I also collect weapons.

Interesting! What kind of weapons do you collect?

4 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

except this, I'm much like you. I collect pens and notebooks that I barely have any use of. but I love them all and I want more <3

Collecting notebooks is kind of addictive, isn't it?

I collect coins, mostly Euro coins that are issued at face value (regular coins with their different national side, 2€ commemorative coins and the collector's coins that are legal tender in their issuing country only). Coins of the 1st two categories I mostly get out of change money from shops / restaurants / vending machines. The 3rd sort I buy at the local mint.

I also have some collecor's coins who were more expensive than their face value, but that collection is very small. I prefer coins I can get at face value because I can touch them without being afraid to damage them. And if I don't like them anymore, I can always spend them or bring them to my bank.

9 minutes ago, lobisomem said:

Interesting! What kind of weapons do you collect?

Swords, knives, and survivalist guns.

I love keltec guns, katana, and anime replicas.

I don't really collect anything. I do have a lot of songbooks though. I collect songs and poems (in my head).

I collect LEGOs, but not just collect... I build hundreds of awesome things from my 20,000+ parts, which my mind constantly thinking about structural design, architecture, etc. but I don’t just collect LEGOs, I collect ideas in my head. I always build something custom and different.

I've been keeping movie tickets since like.... ever. I'd also have a bunch of batman comics if I hadn't mixed those up with my exes collection and ended up leaving them there <_<

drjohnhwatson

BRAINSSSSSSSS...

But I collect anything older, but especially the Victorian Era.  I have a parasol, a pair of shoes, several photo albums (some with pictures still in them!), coins, letters...I have a diary from the 1920s, too.

I especially love old photographs, and one day I want a Victorian camera.  One day.  I also like old books, especially if they have writing in them.  I went to this bookstore that was closing once, and it really bugged me because there was no rhyme or reason; everything was thrown together.  Fiction with non-fiction, cooking with erotica, etc.  Fill a bag for $5.  I ended up with an old book from the 1850s?  With an inscription from a father to his daughter.  Well worth it!

I also collect old Leyendecker Saturday Evening Post covers, anything to do with the Raffles series, and anything to do with the Victorian actor Kyrle Bellew.  Had some delightful crossover stuff when I got a magazine with a Raffles story in it, and Leyendecker had done the cover art of Raffles for it.  Also whenever I bought a Raffles playbill and Kyrle Bellew had played Raffles, as well as a special edition Raffles book with pictures of Kyrle Bellew playing Raffles and signed by him!  Makes it double fantastic for me.

:lol:.

I collect glass.  Small and fine pieces, mostly, not so much the big and chunky.  My favourite piece is the drunken snowman I got from Japan this year.  And the angry snowman.  And the teeth.  And the angler fish.

Spoiler

20171120_193541.jpg

20171120_193531.jpg
20171120_193412.jpg

And yes, that is a maggot in a butternut squash :D

I hope that works...  I put them in a spoiler in case they came through massive or people don't want to look.  I resized them, but they always seem to show as massive on the hosting website, so who knows.

i collect lots of shit. im reasonable with it though and am incredibly organised 

1. bottle caps from all my beers i drink. 
  2. aquaman and spider-man comics 
  3. books
  4. coins of the current year (once the year is over i use them, currently got '368' 2017 coins)
  5. socks (love me so nike and adidas socks but really all brands)
  6. knives (mainly multi tools, leathermans and swiss ones. but i have big hunting knives as well) 

I collect pins and patches of a particular tv show. can't say which one. 

• 1 month later...
imnotafreakofnature!

Books, books and more books! Rumor has it I have enough to start my own library, but I'm not convinced. (I've also been told I won't live long enough to read all the books I have so I should probably not buy anymore, but there's no such thing as too many books! :lol:) Also, music boxes, dolls from foreign countries, and solar dancers.

I collect and scavenge building materials whenever and wherever I can. I also occassionally collect lost pieces of myself and the occassional rare and valuable fuck to give.

J. van Deijck
3 hours ago, E is for E said:

I also occassionally collect lost pieces of myself and the occassional rare and valuable fuck to give.

this is so relatable. 

Always looking for answers

I collect books, board games, miniatures (which also means toy dragons) and dice. 

Hermit Advocate

I have a colony of dust bunnies living under my bed. 

On 21.11.2017 at 6:50 AM, miettaisace said:

i collect lots of shit. im reasonable with it though and am incredibly organised 

1. bottle caps from all my beers i drink. 
  2. aquaman and spider-man comics 
  3. books
  4. coins of the current year (once the year is over i use them, currently got '368' 2017 coins)
  5. socks (love me so nike and adidas socks but really all brands)
  6. knives (mainly multi tools, leathermans and swiss ones. but i have big hunting knives as well) 

I used to collect Spider-Man comics. I would even re-buy other people's issues, if I didn't have them in my collection. Then one day I came to the conclusion that I am not interested into it anymore so I just it got rid of it. I had 50+ issues.

How does this coin collection work? You spend the coins you have, but keep all the ones issued in the current year?

Multi-tools knives are cool and practical, but I've never had one. How sturdy are those tools anyway?

At various stages of my life I used to have collections of fantasy books, foreign coins, CDs, the aforementioned Spider-Man comic books, and car-themed bubble gum collectable cards. With the cards and the comic books I had a strong sense of collection-building. Maybe also with the coins. Others I just happened to amass without ever thinking about collection-buidng when buying them.

J. van Deijck

me has mentioned human souls right? :P

I collect

Books

Comic books

Money

Rocks

And maps

13 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I used to collect Spider-Man comics. I would even re-buy other people's issues, if I didn't have them in my collection. Then one day I came to the conclusion that I am not interested into it anymore so I just it got rid of it. I had 50+ issues.

How does this coin collection work? You spend the coins you have, but keep all the ones issued in the current year?

Multi-tools knives are cool and practical, but I've never had one. How sturdy are those tools anyway?

At various stages of my life I used to have collections of fantasy books, foreign coins, CDs, the aforementioned Spider-Man comic books, and car-themed bubble gum collectable cards. With the cards and the comic books I had a strong sense of collection-building. Maybe also with the coins. Others I just happened to amass without ever thinking about collection-buidng when buying them.

i dont spend the coins made that year. In Australia i dont know about other money, the year is printed on the coin so if it was made in 2017 i wont spend it until its 2018. In 2014 i had over $500 worth of 2014 coins.

the way it works is that when you spend some cash which is only $5 $10, $20, $50, $100 (in my country) then you get change if they give you back coins you check there year if they are any year other than that current year which is 2017 then you can use it, but if you get a coin made in 2017 you keep it and dont use it, i have a jar at home of just coins made that year. then once its a new year you can spend the coins. its just a fun way to say some money. 

I recall that Pokemon card collecting was a big deal on the playground when I was in grade six. The price markup must have been huge, given that a booster pack of eleven cards sold for around five or six dollars Canadian in 1999.

I collect musical instruments. :) As a percussionist and ethnomusicologist, I love the huge variety of instruments that I've been exposed to and trained to play. I want to collect so many instruments in my lifetime that someone could fill a museum with them when I die. 

I don't know if I'll remember everything, but this is my current collection off the top of my head:

Spoiler
  • Concert Snare drum
  • Concert Tambourine
  • 2 Triangles
  • Glockenspiel (2 if you count my 'kinder-glockenspiel' that I received as a gag gift some time ago :lol:)
  • Electric Piano (2 if you count a simple MIDI board I use for DAWs)
  • Berimbau
  • Caxixi
  • 2 Pandeiros
  • Cajon
  • Udu
  • Doumbek
  • Bodhrán 
  • Bongos
  • Guiro
  • Maracas
  • Claves
  • Frog Rasp
  • Cowbell
  • 2 Ocarinas
  • Tin Whistle
  • 4 Bird Whistles
  • Tenor Ukelele
  • 2 Clarinets
  • Didgeridoo 
  • 10+ different Shakers, including a Foot-attachment Shaker
  • Foot-attachment tambourine
  • Countless sticks, mallets, beaters, and other materials used to play these instruments
  • Bass drum pedal (I don't own a drum set, but I use it when I play others' sets.)

I also play a ton of instruments that I don't own yet too. I especially wish I owned a vibraphone and a marimba, but I won't be able to afford them anytime soon. It's easier for me to get a bunch of these smaller instruments first honestly. I wouldn't mind going for either a djembe, a set of congas, or maybe even a steel pan (either tenor or double seconds) next, but we'll see what happens.

I cone up with so many quotes and melodies to write down that I basically end up collecting notebooks. 

Archived