Merriam-Webster "Asexual" Update

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans. ^_^

Heard through the grapevine that the Merriam-Webster website just updated the definition of asexual as of November 15th, 2017:

1:lacking sex or functional sex organs 
  • asexual plants
2a :involving or reproducing by reproductive processes (such as cell division, spore formation, fission (see 1fission 2), or budding (see 2bud intransitive 3)) that do not involve the union of individuals or gametes 
  • asexual reproduction
  • an asexualgeneration
b :produced by asexual reproduction 
  • asexual spores
3a :not involving, involved with, or relating to sex :devoid of sexuality 
  • an asexualrelationship
b :not having sexual feelings toward others :not experiencing sexual desire or attraction
  • In general, an asexual person does not feel or otherwise experience any sexual attraction, according to The Asexual Visibility & Education Network (AVEN). Basically, it is an inborn absence of sexual desire.
  •  —Lindsay E. Mack
4:not having or showing a particular sexual identity :neither male nor female
  • … parents who first encounter the world of Pokemon through their youngsters may have no idea what this land of soft, rounded, asexual creatures is or what drives it.
  • —Vince Horiuchi

asexual

noun, plural
    • Many asexuals still have romantic attractions—identifying themselves as straight, gay or bisexual romantic—form committed relationships and value all the non-sexual benefits of a partnership that sexual individuals enjoy. Minus the sex. 
    • —Lori A. Rotto

Just thought I'd post it here...

Their research was pretty sloppy. Plus, for a dictionary one would think they'd do a better job at writing clearly and avoiding typos. It should be "Lori A. Brotto", not "Rotto".

Galactic Turtle
1 hour ago, Pramana said:

Their research was pretty sloppy. Plus, for a dictionary one would think they'd do a better job at writing clearly and avoiding typos. It should be "Lori A. Brotto", not "Rotto".

Lol! I guess the intern snuck onto the database right before peacing out for Thanksgiving...

Divide By Zero

So plants, and cell division still come out ahead... * sighs *

Galactic Turtle
3 minutes ago, Tuple said:

So plants, and cell division still come out ahead... * sighs *

I mean "happily excited" is still the first definition for gay. :P

Apathetic Echidna

wait......they really truely mention Pokemon in the definition?

11 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

wait......they really truely mention Pokemon in the definition?

Apparently so. I'm not sure if it's clear canonically that Pokemon are asexual, though, especially since eggs were introduced.

scarletlatitude

Interesting inclusion of Pokemon indeed.... but still good to get some definitions for us. Now it doesn't just show as asexual reproduction at least. 

20 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

wait......they really truly mention Pokemon in the definition?

I thought that was a quote showing the word in actual use from a known source. 

9 hours ago, Pramana said:

Apparently so. I'm not sure if it's clear canonically that Pokemon are asexual, though, especially since eggs were introduced.

The way it's worded it could be taken to mean "the soft rounded creatures" are the kids. :lol: 

Just now, daveb said:

The way it's worded it could be taken to mean "the soft rounded creatures" are the kids. :lol: 

I don't understand how this is a dictionary.

Apathetic Echidna
33 minutes ago, daveb said:

they could have picked something else but they seem to have specifically chosen Pokemon over all the other cute cartoon creatures of unknown/unobvious sexual identity. 

What I meant was I think it was a quote whoever wrote the Webster's dictionary entry found somewhere; not one they made up for the entry. In other words, it was said or written by Vince Horiuchi. At least that's what I understand from the entry and the other entries that are quotes from people (like the Lori Brotto quote or the Lindsay Mack quote) . I mean, I don't think they were necessarily looking for Pokemon quotes; I think they were looking for quotes with the word asexual in it. It's Vince Horiuchi who chose to reference Pokemon. Maybe that's what you meant?

Eh. I’m happy with it. There are always going to be those of us who complain about absolutely anything anyone else ever writes about asexuality. 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, Galactic Turtle said:

asexual

noun, plural

• Many asexuals still have romantic attractions—identifying themselves as straight, gay or bisexual romantic—form committed relationships and value all the non-sexual benefits of a partnership that sexual individuals enjoy. Minus the sex. 
    • —Lori A. Rotto

Is this really true, many asexuals form relationships and are having sex. I guess I am just wondering if I am misconstruing her point?

It says "minus the sex". There are also some asexual people who do have sex; not because they are sexually attracted or desire sex for sex's sake, but because they want to please their partner or because they want to make babies or for various other reasons. I would guess that there aren't many asexual people who do that though.

9 hours ago, Chibe90 said:

Is this really true, many asexuals form relationships and are having sex. I guess I am just wondering if I am misconstruing her point?

It is true that many asexuals form romantic relationships, and unless they're lucky enough to meet another asexual, they often end up with a sexual partner and end up giving sex to try to keep their partner happy. Asexuals are of course capable of healthy romantic relationships, they'd just be happiest if sex didn't have to be involved! :)

People are capable of having sex with other people if they aren’t sexually attracted to them. Asexual people aren’t impotent. It really comes down to most people don’t want to and therefore won’t have sex with another person who they aren’t sexually attracted to. 

Autumn Season
On 11/19/2017 at 11:53 AM, daveb said:

xD I thought so as well.

Archived