1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm married now
    • I am divorced
    • I'm married and my spouse accepts me
    • No but I would like to be

This poll is closed to new votes

No, and I'd rather not be. I don't have any qualms with having a life partner, but the concept of marriage doesn't appeal to me. In a way it even seems insulting.

JokeyFairbobbin

I am not married, nor do I ever wish to be. Not really my thing, for various reasons, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for other people. All a matter of preferences, I guess.

I could take it or leave it. Never been married, tho.

Living with a life partner would be just fine, as well.

HelloToYou

If I met the right person, fell in love, and wanted to spend the rest of my life with them, I would want to get married. I was feeling a bit aromantic for a while after I broke up with my boyfriend, but I don't feel that way anymore. I would like it if I got married someday, but the happiness of my life does not depend on it.

No, and my feelings are similar to owen and JokeyFairbobbin. It doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not really interested in relationships anyway, although I don't rule out the possibilty, but if it was my choice I'd most likely choose not to get married and just live together.

At one time when I was younger, I thought that I wanted to be married and have children. It didn't happen, and knowing myself now, I don't think that any marriage would have survived me and my problems.

When I was younger, not that I'm exceptionally old now, I didn't want to get married. Now I am pretty sure that I want to be married. I find that even with friends I am lonely and would like someone to always be there. I know that this does not require marriage but it makes it more of a sure thing.

No, and I don't want to be with anyone 'exclusively'. Having a bf is fine, but I'm really close to a few friends and they mean a lot to me and I don't think I could just focus on one person. However, you never know what might happen later on.

Marriage is unhealthy. :(

Consider how many people who are married that abuse and torture their spouse. Now consider how many people who are not married that do that. Marriage is a unhealthy co-dependant relationship that fosters abuse and societal neglect.

Consider people who have wonderful marriages and worked very hard to make their marriage work. Would those couples be any less wonderful if marriage didn't exist? What is the point of them working hard again? Marriage wastes time and effort since people who succeed in it would be better off without anyway.

Consider the law. Marriage is a religious ceremony and ritual, endorsed and enforced by our laws and our tax code. Marriage is a prime example of why church and state should be separate: because when you call the police to say your husband attacked you with a hammer, they tell you that they don't get involved in personal matters and hang up on you. The state can't help you, because they're bound to outmoded 2000 year old customs of ignorant sheep herders.

I have been married 6 years and I love it. I don't find it to be any amount of "work" at all, unless you mean things like laundry and cleaning dishes, and I'd have to do that even if I lived alone.

Love and companionship aside, to be completely practical, if I wasn't married, I'd never have enough money to live in the house I live in, to have the medical insurance I have, etc.

no.. and I dunno if I want to.. I knwo that isnt' an option

Cerhiunnhn

I haven't been married (heck, I've only been legally allowed to marry for less than four months!), but I'd like to be married sometime. Just, er, not right now. Getting married in the future? Sure, I'm game.

Wee_Little_Me

Woa!

Consider how many people who are married that abuse and torture their spouse. Now consider how many people who are not married that do that. Marriage is a unhealthy co-dependant relationship that fosters abuse and societal neglect.

Very few people (statistically) are in an abusive marriage. And in comparison, an increadible number of young couples are in abusive relationships.

Consider people who have wonderful marriages and worked very hard to make their marriage work. Would those couples be any less wonderful if marriage didn't exist? What is the point of them working hard again? Marriage wastes time and effort since people who succeed in it would be better off without anyway.

Thats a personal choice. And if you ask me, it shouldnt make a difference. Its just a piece of paper.

Consider the law. Marriage is a religious ceremony and ritual, endorsed and enforced by our laws and our tax code. Marriage is a prime example of why church and state should be separate: because when you call the police to say your husband attacked you with a hammer, they tell you that they don't get involved in personal matters and hang up on you. The state can't help you, because they're bound to outmoded 2000 year old customs of ignorant sheep herders.

Marriage USED to be a religious ceremony but now you can get married without any religion in yourself, or in the marriage. And I dont know where you got your information about domestic disturbances, but if you're being hit in the head with a hammar the police are obligated to come out and attend to you no matter who's smacking you around.

As for my own opinoins, Ive never been married (good thing, im 19) and Im not sure i ever will be. Im not sure I'll ever have kids either. i rather like my independance. selfish ignorant youth? perhpas. But to me marriage is a slip of paper. I wont ever getmarried in a church (im 100% on that) but if Im with someone who feels very strongly towards marriage than i see no reason to 'take the leap' from common-law and get that slip that suddenly turns all of my posetions into 'our' posetions.

Only a bad marriage is unhealthy. There are a lot more good marriages than bad ones and just because you are uninterested in it doesn't make it a bad or unhealthy thing.

No, those people would not be better off without it. Marriage is a highly committed relationship that gives people a sense of security that can not be found in most other relationships.

The police are obligated to respond to domestic disputes. That's part of their job. They do it often.

No, but then again I'm only 16... :D

However, at my camp, we have these two activities called the Sadie and Sammy Hawkins Chase. In one of them, the guys chase the girls, the other the girls chase the guys, and pretty much you have to "marry" whoever you catch, and the next night dance with them at the appropriate Hawkins Dance.

So, I've gotten married so many times then, but that was all a joke. We just wanted the shiny plastic marriage rings :D

But of all the people I married, I think half of them were girls (which we actually had to fight for. At first they said we couldn't marry other girls, or guys with other guys, cause it isn't Massachusettes :roll: ). The remaining were guys, although two of the guys were tennisballs.

We didn't have to fight for the tennisballs.

Marriage is a prime example of why church and state should be separate: because when you call the police to say your husband attacked you with a hammer, they tell you that they don't get involved in personal matters and hang up on you. The state can't help you, because they're bound to outmoded 2000 year old customs of ignorant sheep herders.

I'd argue with that based on personal experience. My parents argue quite a bit. Years ago, they got into a particularly bad argument, and my dad sort of mocked my mom, telling her she should call the cops. She wouldn't, so he ended up dialing 911, then hung up. They called right back and my mom answered. She told them that her husband had called and was just being an ass, and that there was no need for the police to come. However, they insisted that they come down just to make sure- I think they said that they were required to, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, they did come down just to check it out and make sure that nothing was happening.

cause it isn't Massachusettes

::points to location::

::is proud:: 8)

So. Marrying tennisballs is a-OK. But people of the same sex, they freak out? :roll:
So. Marrying tennisballs is a-OK. But people of the same sex, they freak out? :roll:

Exactly...

But after we finally convinced them to let us, I married, like, ten girls that night. Just to spite them (and we were bored...). :D

"Ehh I'm bored."

"Oh, wanna get married?"

"Sure! I don't have anything else to do..."

Marriage is a prime example of why church and state should be separate: because when you call the police to say your husband attacked you with a hammer, they tell you that they don't get involved in personal matters and hang up on you. The state can't help you, because they're bound to outmoded 2000 year old customs of ignorant sheep herders.

I'd argue with that based on personal experience. My parents argue quite a bit. Years ago, they got into a particularly bad argument, and my dad sort of mocked my mom, telling her she should call the cops. She wouldn't, so he ended up dialing 911, then hung up. They called right back and my mom answered. She told them that her husband had called and was just being an ass, and that there was no need for the police to come. However, they insisted that they come down just to make sure- I think they said that they were required to, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, they did come down just to check it out and make sure that nothing was happening.

cause it isn't Massachusettes

::points to location::

::is proud:: 8)

That's not true anymore. A husband can go to jail for raping his wife, or harming or in any other way, and vice versa.

LostPenguin

I chose no instead of no and I would like to be simply because I don't KNOW if I'd like to be. I'm not jumping up and down about the concept nor am I against it (for myself), so, yeah. Indecisive!

Wee_Little_Me and Xenius13 both said what I was intending to about marriages being inherently abusive. You simply hear about the abusive situations more often because statistically they're more likely to result in something "newsworthy" like a murder or severe assault occuring than a placid domestic relationship.

That said, I'm not married, and I don't know if I'd want to be; given my behavioral quirks and all, it'd have to be only if the partner knew me quite well and could put up with my quirks, as well as me being able to handle their quirks. (While inherently heteroromantic, I recognize that stranger things can happen than falling for another guy - after all, my "soulsister", for lack of a better term, is essentially heterosexual - and yet she's very definitely in love with another woman.)

Of course, YMMV.

• 2 years later...
LimeTreeArbour

i wouldnt be against getting married to the right person

Like I said in AVENchat once, "I'd only marry if my g/f were a gothic, video game loving MtF"

I'm only 17 ,and I don't want to get married. But if I did get married, I would want to marry either an asexual, or someone that just respects who I am.

Archived