Huff Post - "‘A’ Is For Asexual: Erasing The Asexual Orientation"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-is-for-asexual-erasing-the-asexual-orientation_us_59454b7be4b024b7e0df4c75

17 June 2017

A few months ago I went to see my gynecologist. I am a successful, professional woman in my mid-30’s. I am taken seriously by my peers. But when I told her I am Asexual, her initial response was a big, hearty laugh!

When I told her I was serious, that it was a real orientation, she grew stern immediately. “Would you like me to sign you up for therapy?”

To recap: A doctor who spent at least 8 years studying women’s sex organs laughed at me when I told her I was Asexual ― then asked if I needed therapy. This lack of education shouldn’t be so pervasive.

I’m sick of being erased by society at-large, but particularly by the LGBTQIA+ community. Since I’d never heard of the term “Asexual” or met another person like me, the only other solution offered to me was that I was either a repressed lesbian or broken.

Thank you for sharing.

I found it interesting and informative.

At this point in my life though I am not really interested in being part of the LGBT.

She did make a good point about younger people needed the support, but I  think AVEN does a better job addressing their needs than the LGBT.

That's just my opinion though.

Crazy Cat Lady

Great article! Thank you for sharing.

I would also like to see the A represent Asexual, at least to let people know there is such a thing! I'm in my mid-40s and had no idea until 7 years ago. For a long time, I thought something was wrong with me.

The gyno sounds like a raving idiot.  Where the f--- did that doctor get his/her/its medical degree?  On the internet?

Hermit Advocate
On 11/13/2017 at 6:42 PM, thylacine said:

The gyno sounds like a raving idiot.  Where the f--- did that doctor get his/her/its medical degree?  On the internet?

Probably. Maybe she attended Trump's failed college? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:21 AM, argar said:

Thank you for sharing.

I found it interesting and informative.

At this point in my life though I am not really interested in being part of the LGBT.

She did make a good point about younger people needed the support, but I  think AVEN does a better job addressing their needs than the LGBT.

That's just my opinion though.

I agree, I'm ace and aro-spec yet I feel that I don't resonate too much with the LGBT+'s agenda and goals (though I support them) as an asexual person. It's fine for other aces to feel they are LGBT+ of course. I feel that AVEN is more focused on social issues and the LGBT+ on social and political issues, which is quite a difference. But at the same time I believe there should be mutual support and acceptance between AVEN and the LGBT+ communities.

I posted a rant about this when I'd first joined the forum and was met with major push back.
It actively irritates me when people say the A is for Ally.
It sure the frick does not. Allies don't need a letter. They don't need inclusion. They don't need to feel special because they SUPPORT others.

I thought I was heterosexual, without interest, for years. I didn't have any conflicting sexual thoughts. I just assumed I was "normal", and I NEVER thought that the A was for Ally then, either.

The "A" is for asexual, and that's for a million different reasons, but mainly- to me- because the same people who berate them, berate us.

Archived