So....anybody into animation?

mousebrown

Big into animation, from the 1920's up to present day, was looking to meet other people who are also into this! I'm afraid I'm not much into anime, but maybe my mind could be changed.

I'm a cartoonist and animator (just graduated) looking to make some connections in this community.  

I really enjoy animation and art history (And am a huge film history geek!) so hopefully some of you lovely folks are too.

Stuff like the old Max Fleischer and Tex Avery cartoons? Some of those were really good. I grew up watching a lot of the old cartoons on tv (I'm talking stuff that was made in the 40s, as well as more "recent" stuff at the time - Bugs Bunny, Jay Ward's works, for example). Some time ago I went to a Chuck Jones exhibit (I think it was in San Diego, downtown).

I have a long running blog on the old Fleischer stuff (among others)

Oh man Chuck Jones is one of my favourites, he knew how to play a joke off just right, never hammy, always hilarious.

What was in the exhibit like?

My memories of the exhibit are fuzzy at best. I seem to recall a good amount of larger artwork pieces (like bigger than a typical lettersize/A4 sheet of paper).

I am also a fan of Aardman Animations, lots of independent films (used to go to an annual Festival of Animation in the San Diego area when I was younger and lived there - they showed short animated films from around the world), and occasional animated films on youtube (from Simon's Cat to various random ones I come across from time to time).

I was always a fan of early Disney animation, especially early Donald Duck. I'll admit that I'm more into anime than american animation, and into manga even more than that. Anything that's created by drawing or animation I'm ultimately into, though I've never really been "in the scene."

The_Reluctant_Dragon

I’M A HUGE FAN OF ART AND ANIMATION. I love anything animated, though, like you, I’m not the biggest fan of anime. And, I love watching old animated shorts. Especially Disney ones like Laugh-O-Grams, Alice Comedies, and Silly Symphonies. I also like watching old, old, old cutout animations.  I also love learning about film history, usually on the animation parts, but, regular live-action films are great to study about too. I love film and theatre in general. I love attending plays and watching movies. I love documentaries as well. And my favorite film of all time, “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?”, was a hybrid film, so there you go. I’m just a tremendous film enthusiast. I’m working on some films right now.

The_Reluctant_Dragon
On 11/10/2017 at 10:30 PM, Lar said:

Do you have some of your work to show of?

Are you asking me? If you are, I don’t, not any completed projects. 

The_Reluctant_Dragon
1 hour ago, Marrow said:

If you like animation you should try out Rebeltaxi on YouTube; he talks a lot about animation

Thanks for the suggestion. I just subscribe to him. Like his videos so far.

Oh man i LOVED who framed roger rabbit, in my animation course we met a chap who had worked on it and it was apparently a romp to work on.

I love the alice comedies and such, did you see over the garden wall? There was an episode that heavily referenced the one with the welcome committee! 

On 11/11/2017 at 3:30 AM, Lar said:

Do you have some of your work to show of?

Me? I have an instagram, but am not currently "out" as ace, so if we keep it on the downlow, i'd be happy to share

The_Reluctant_Dragon
8 hours ago, mousebrown said:

Oh man i LOVED who framed roger rabbit, in my animation course we met a chap who had worked on it and it was apparently a romp to work on.

I love the alice comedies and such, did you see over the garden wall? There was an episode that heavily referenced the one with the welcome committee! 

Glad you liked Who Framed Roger Rabbit? It’s a great movie. I’ve never watched Over The Garden Wall, but I really want to. Is there a website I can visit with episodes?

I love Over the Garden Wall. It originally aired on Cartoon Network so I suggest looking there first. 

The_Reluctant_Dragon
22 hours ago, borkfork said:

I love Over the Garden Wall. It originally aired on Cartoon Network so I suggest looking there first. 

Thanks, I'll see if I can find something.

17 hours ago, The_Reluctant_Dragon said:

Thanks, I'll see if I can find something.

Its a really charming miniseries, full of old references, prewar music and genuine menace. Super well made, and probably a good thing it's so short, that way it never wears thin.

drjohnhwatson

I like animation, and I like stuff that's "different".  That has a "feel" to it.  Not just pumped out, looks-like-everything else.  Like I wanted to see Ernest and Celestine because the style looked nice.

Spoiler

newvideo-NNVG10006212-Full-Image_Gallery

I also wanted to see The Secret of Kells for the way it looked.

Spoiler

secret-of-kells.jpg

The Book of Life.

Spoiler

image.jpg

Kubo and the Two Strings.

Spoiler

kubo-and-monkey.jpg

Literally anything by Studio Ghibli.  I especially love the water, the nature scenes, rain...it just has a sort of breath of its own, a life.

Spoiler

thumb-1920-195120.jpg

a3d426d40a86446eb851c03ecdd4e421.jpg

1028923-studio-ghibli-animator-makiko-fu

I also like Steven Universe--that's a show; the rest are movies, haha.  :lol::lol:.

Spoiler

f41lazsctow31q4dvcla.jpg

I also love a good plot, obviously; all the things I listed have good plots (in my opinion).  It's just if something is really ugly, it's harder for me to get into, unless the schtick helps to play off how low budget it is, I suppose, but I haven't really had to deal with that.

:huh::huh:.

The Book of Life was beautiful. All those little details to make the "dead" characters look like wooden figures with metal and paint.

Fun fact: Disney tried to copyright 'Día de los Muertos' probably in anticipation for Coco.

drjohnhwatson
9 minutes ago, borkfork said:

The Book of Life was beautiful. All those little details to make the "dead" characters look like wooden figures with metal and paint.

Fun fact: Disney tried to copyright 'Día de los Muertos' probably in anticipation for Coco.

People are so mad about Coco, but since the creators of The Book of Life say to give it a fair shake, I will.  The only thing that ruffles me is that regardless, it'll probably be up for an Oscar because Disney.  It will get lots of attention and praise, and The Book of Life really didn't, and I think that it helped pave the way for Disney to decide to do a film like that, because they could see that there was an audience there and money to be made.

As the the Día de los Muertos thing, I just :rolleyes:.

16 minutes ago, drjohnhwatson said:

People are so mad about Coco, but since the creators of The Book of Life say to give it a fair shake, I will.  The only thing that ruffles me is that regardless, it'll probably be up for an Oscar because Disney.  It will get lots of attention and praise, and The Book of Life won't, and I think that it helped pave the way for Disney to decide to do a film like that.

As the the Día de los Muertos thing, I just :rolleyes:.

They tried that copyright thing before The Book of Life was released, IIRC. I don't know when it into production, but Gutierrez had the worst time pitching it and trying to get it made. I think it took at least 10 years to find a production company? I also appreciate that there's more to the story than some Corpse Bride love-triangle deal.

Coco is a different story, at least, but it looks very generic. It's Disney, and it will get the praise and attention Disney always gets. The Book of Life won an Annie Award for character design.

@drjohnhwatson

I agree with EVERYTHNG! Anything by Laika or Studio Ghibli has such a sweet richness to it, without being tacky. Like it's just teeming with details and believable magic.

Also Ernest and Celestine was so beautiful, and such a lovely story too. Tell me, have you watched anything by sylvain chomet? he's one of my utter favourites. The Illusionist was set in my hometown of Edinburgh. The style did my city so much justice

drjohnhwatson
54 minutes ago, mousebrown said:

@drjohnhwatson

I agree with EVERYTHNG! Anything by Laika or Studio Ghibli has such a sweet richness to it, without being tacky. Like it's just teeming with details and believable magic.

Also Ernest and Celestine was so beautiful, and such a lovely story too. Tell me, have you watched anything by sylvain chomet? he's one of my utter favourites. The Illusionist was set in my hometown of Edinburgh. The style did my city so much justice

Sort of.  I had to google him, and I've seen his Simpsons intro.  I loved the style so much and I like seeing it in reruns.

:lol:.

Did anyone watch Liquid Television in the '90s?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I'm definitedly into animation and cartoons too! Everything from Disney up to Dreamworks, Pixar, Warner Brothers.... I always wanted to become a professional animator ever since although everyone laughed about it :/

• 4 weeks later...

I'm actually studying to become an animator! :D Disney, Pixar, and Aardman were my childhood (sadly, I've only see one Studio Ghibli film so far, but I'm going to fix that!). Dreamworks hasn't put out a whole lot of things I like - I really don't like Shrek. But I absolutely adore Megamind and Rise of the Guardians. Liked most of their 2D animated films, and I wish they didn't quit making them. Henry Selick's work is pretty amazing too, especially Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline.

An oldie but goodie I absolutely love is Lotte Reiniger. Her animations are beautiful.

And I really enjoy Cranbersher's stuff on YouTube.

• 4 months later...
Artsy Anvil

I absolutely adore animation. I’m a huge fan of Disney, Studio Ghilbi, Pixar, Aardman, Laika, etc. Studios like Dreamworks, Blue Sky, Illumination, etc. are really good too. I also like the stop motion works of Henry Selick, Wes Anderson, and Tim Burton. All very talented. I just admire animation. I find it very beautiful; bringing drawings, sculptures, and pictures to life.

I love animation, particularly traditional (such as original Disney and most anime). I also think stop motion is pretty awesome, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Nightmare before Christmas come to mind specifically for that. If I had to choose my favourite 3D animations, How to Train your Dragon 1 and 2 as well as Zootopia are wayyyy up there. 

I'm trying to teach myself traditional animation (well somewhat traditional as I use a tablet) but it's pretty slow going.

I'm OBSESSED with animation and cartoons!

As a kid, I would watch cartoons instead of these crappy teen sitcoms that they had on all of the cartoon channels... and I preferred the old cartoons, too, like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry.

Most of my favorite characters in cartoons are ducks, but my #1 favorite character is Felix the Cat.

Watching cartoons has inspired me to become a cartoonist in the future (hopefully) and I wish to learn how to animate (but start off slowly with what they call "animation memes" on YouTube). Animating is hard, but I know one day I will become a pro at it (hopefully)!

giphy.gif

• 10 months later...

Yeah, yeah, I'm posting on a super old thread, so sue me...

To answer the subject question, I'll just post a picture of my first tattoo:

No photo description available.

I haven't been back to  SoCal in far too long, but I did get to work on a few pretty awesome animation projects my first go-round. Got to meet some of my animation heroes and even work with a few of them. The goal is to go back someday, but life keeps getting in the way. Maybe I should stab it with a surface gage to see if I can get it to back off.

Archived