Ace/Aro/Gray Safe Zone Training

Andiamo

I am a Safe Zone trainer at my college. For anyone who doesn't know what Safe Zone is (or knows it by a different name), the basic goal is to help educate people on how to be part of a more knowledgeable, welcoming, and understanding community for people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, etc. 

For the past 5(?) years, my college has had a Safe Zone program that is constantly being updated to be the best and most current it can be. Until last semester, all we had was a 3-hour basic training that was given 3 times per semester. However, wanting Safe Zone to be an ongoing process for those who wanted to continue learning, we started creating 1-hour second-level trainings for those who had gone through the basic training already and wanted to learn more in-depth on specific topics. The first one was given last semester. That one was on Religion and Sexuality and was hugely successful. This semester, we have two new ones: Trans and Nonbinary Identities and Ace/Aro/Gray Identities. 

I was particularly working on developing the Ace/Aro/Gray training, and spent a ton of time working on it this past semester. Today was our first time giving the training, and it went really well! It was one of the biggest groups of people we've had at any single training, too. We will be giving the training once more this semester, and hopefully more in the future as well. I just wanted to share in my excitement at having this training go so successfully, and at the amount of interest there was!

Lana Overland

WOOOO!

Hermit Advocate

Yay! I'm glad it went well

• 2 weeks later...

I  like this idea of a "Safe Zone..." Don't really think my school will agree to it though.

• 4 months later...

Very cool!

Archived