What do you all currently do for a living?

Torple

1 hour ago, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

I co-own a multi-brand retail business with about 100,000 employees.

(I am also one of the 100,000 employees, as we all have an equal share, but it sounds better the other way)

My job title is Stock Management Partner but I also hold the titles of S.O.R. administrator (boring retail stuff) and PartnerVoice deputy representative (cool co-ownership stuff).

That would be John Lewis, then?

1 hour ago, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

Which chain?

I would prefer not to say, asI'm not out yet and doing so would easily identify me. But it doesn't sound like your company.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

That would be John Lewis, then?

Yep.

5 hours ago, Scottmas1989 said:

I would prefer not to say, as I'm not out yet and doing so would easily identify me. But it doesn't sound like your company.

Fair enough.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I've worked as a Nurse, Nurse tutor, Researcher, English teacher, Final Debt Assessor and now I'm what is called euphemistically an 'Order Entry executive' (call centre in other words) for a big pharmaceutical logistics company.

My official job title is Spraypainter/welder/labourer. I spend most of the time spraypainting though.

A shard of glass

Update on the Battery job :D

I'm now a battery technician for ABSL Space Products :D I essentially inspect and test parts for batteries that get built into satellites :D

Absolutely love the job, but I'd say it's not a very good use of my degree... But we all have to start somewhere don't we?

The government has decided that I'm too ill to work so it looks like I will be unemployed for a while longer. I wish I could just win the lottery and run a small business with no pressure. I hate the struggle that I have. :( 

Ideally, I'd like to do something with fashion, photography or computing but I'm open to other things. I just need something I can cope with but I really need an employer that will support me. Anyone got any leads? :lol:

1 hour ago, Princess Merida said:

Anyone got any leads? :lol:

Model?

Fashion teacher for highschool?

J. van Deijck

I still build electrical wiring for trains, but I'm not dedicated to  test it before sending it. however, sometimes I still find myself in the electrical tests area to fix others' errors :lol: :3

here_on_the_morrow

I'm a budtender. I sell weed at a little retailer- i'm in one of those legalized states. 

Live on student loans and office work here... hope to either get a full time job with the college or my second degree in Biology. We'll see what happens!

Branch manager for a commercial vehicle equipment distributor.

So, when you see a truck pull out a ramp, to make deliveries, that plumber pull a ladder off the roof mounted rack on their van--or that emergency vehicle with their strobe lights activated--or a news channel trying to streamline their reporting speed, by having better equipped vehicles--that's what we do. From backup cameras, backup alarms, lettering on vehicles, GPS systems etc etc etc.

Its a bit different than what I used to do, but it is interesting to essentially create a mini office in a person's vehicle for all of those mobile entrepreneurs out there which is a growing market segment. Getting to see the major news channels in how they prepare a scoop (or most entrepreneurs in segments you did not even know about), is always interesting as well as got to do a few tours of news channels to understand a client's needs (a major part of my job).

One of our clients got rear ended at high speeds in their van while at a red light. Over 1000lbs (inside the van) of payload flying towards his cab. The partition we installed him was heavily dented, but he was able to walk away, and laugh about it all. The van--not so much. It was almost a write off, as was the entire installation we put in for him.

A lot of the things people don't think about, is what we specialize in.

I'm currently a 2nd full-time Criminology Psychology student. I'm really hoping to do something in the CJS (criminal justice system) when I've graduated, and to do a part-time masters degree in some form of criminal or forensic psychology, or even some kind of counselling MA; not sure yet. Still got a year and a half to think about that (minimum)

I'm a freelance illustrator with a side of web design for the steadier income (my actual job title is Technology Manager, but it's mostly web design). I also used to do a lot of theatre-related jobs on a stipend basis, but I had to stop that to focus on art. I do miss it though, especially directing and lighting design.

StreetlightDawn

I design novelty socks! Tacos, unicorns, cats and dogs on your socks? That's me.

I own a restaurant/bakery that I run by myself. I'll take jobs as a laborer and hired hand in construction and farming. I cut, haul, split and stack firewood for people. Miscellaneous other odd jobs if people have them.

• 2 weeks later...

I manage a bakery department at a newish "high end health food supermarket" called Fresh Thyme.  I do stand up comedy on the side.

J. van Deijck

I still do the same (building electrical wiring for trains), but some things have changed and now I'm not a wire man electrician - my position is now officially called "junior operator" :P or whatever it translates into English :lol:

I have an aspiration to get promoted to operator, though. I hope I can do it after two years :P

• 3 weeks later...
Sweet Potato

Lumber Grader at the planer mill in a sawmill plant.

means I get paid to draw pretty pink chalk lines on boards.

Sweet Potato
On 2/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, StreetlightDawn said:

I design novelty socks! Tacos, unicorns, cats and dogs on your socks? That's me.

My Hero!!!

19 minutes ago, CFilipek said:

I'm a Collections Assistant at a Museum

If you don't mind me asking, What does that entail?

Just now, iff said:

If you don't mind me asking, What does that entail?

I'm cataloging and inventorying my museums collection. Basically, I go through the collection item by item and check that the current entry in our collections management software is correct or enter the item into the software if it isn't already there. My position is grant funded, so I'm technically not allowed to do anything else due to the grant rules, but at other museums it would likely entail slightly more varied work

Archived