What do you all currently do for a living?

Torple

Island-Of-Dogs

I'm a petsitter! Mostly I've looked after dogs so far, with the odd cat or two squeezed in. But I'm definitely open to looking after more exotic critters in the future.

I'm a truck driver delivering to shops around the lower part of the UK, also known as a trailer shuffler, air polluter, scum or lowlife, mention it in conversation over here and it can kill all conversation instantly, it's the most hated industry in the UK

I work in the University's main computer laboratory part time. Not really for a living but I also peer mentor the younger students.

paperbackreader
4 hours ago, oldgeeza said:

I'm a truck driver delivering to shops around the lower part of the UK, also known as a trailer shuffler, air polluter, scum or lowlife, mention it in conversation over here and it can kill all conversation instantly, it's the most hated industry in the UK

I don't hate the industry 😶

Without you and your industry I would not have oranges from Valencia, mangoes from Pakistan or tamarinds from Thailand and would have to live on poxy British apples all the time. 

So thank you for shuffling trailers! 

SamwiseLovesLife

I work in a high security prison :P

I am currently an adjunct professor for a community college, but I am also applying for doctoral programs, so I may become a student/graduate assistant again in the near future.

I'm a technical writer. Not exactly the "normal kind" like I don't write manuals and such. I'm employed at an accounting firm so I write technical summaries for businesses so that they can qualify for a tax credit. So I pretty much just write a super detailed, specific account of the research and developments that the business did. It's really fun when I get to write for video game clients ^_^

23 hours ago, Lilsi said:

Dog Care and Welfare Practitioner, for Guide Dogs for the Blind.   
I look after the health of the dogs while in training, as well as sort their diets, groom and environmental enrichment (Running/playing/puzzle toys) .

14 hours ago, Island-Of-Dogs said:

I'm a petsitter! Mostly I've looked after dogs so far, with the odd cat or two squeezed in. But I'm definitely open to looking after more exotic critters in the future.

Those sound like the best jobs ever!!

1 hour ago, sea-lemon said:

Those sound like the best jobs ever!!

It is mostly a very good and enjoyable job and if you are having a bad time you can just go hug a dog so yea, quite lucky. 

18 hours ago, yonah said:

Undergrad student hoping to become a librarian!

Do you plan on working in a library or a bookstore?

RiseOfCourage

As a teen, worked in a small factory bottling moisturizing lotion and fishing lure spray. We also manufactured female condoms...boy, were those odd looking and they didn't sell much! Later, during college, worked nights operating a huge cutting laser (zapping patterns & stuff in various materials).

After college, was an R&D lab tech for a cookware and kitchen appliance manufacturer. A new manager fired me and most of our department, wanted fresh blood I guess. 

Went to sea & became a marine mechanic/electrical technician. Most fun!

Now semi-retired due to cancer, but try to do odd jobs when can.

2 hours ago, Torple said:

Do you plan on working in a library or a bookstore?

I plan on working in the public library system

17 hours ago, QueenOfTheRats said:

I'm not supposed to talk about it. 

Are you a spy

QueenOfTheRats
11 hours ago, yonah said:

Are you a spy

I can neither confirm nor deny.

I'm a finance controller for a big company. 
Basically, if you use our service, I send you the bill. If you need to be billed in a specific way, I organise that. If there's something wrong with your bill, I fix it. And I make sure that everything runs smoothly inside the company, money is allocated to the right places, etc. 

I’m a case manager for people with intellectual disabilities. I help them find/maintain services like group homes, day programs, employment, etc, and do monthly visits to make sure all their needs are being met and they are being treated well. 

6 hours ago, Hayley said:

I'm a finance controller for a big company. 
Basically, if you use our service, I send you the bill. If you need to be billed in a specific way, I organise that. If there's something wrong with your bill, I fix it. And I make sure that everything runs smoothly inside the company, money is allocated to the right places, etc. 

2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Unemployed at the moment, but I've been a nurse, recruitment consultant, manager, customer service adviser and final debt assessor. 

would Hayley like to recruit chandrakirti? Seeing as you both live in Bedford....

I am so boring compared to most of you. :( I work in human resources, in a less exciting position that's mostly stuck at a desk. I have also worked in retail, statistics (on the data gathering side, not analysis unfortunately), and payroll consulting.

farmer, smalltime organic oats farming, or in other words leeching off eu subsidiaries, about half the fields are clover hay mix because of rules, rest oats. Very  little actual work for okish income, sure actual work would be more but then id have only a fraction of the free time i have and im not healthy enough for actual work so current situation beats the hell out of being unemployed/on disability pension (id probably get reduced disability pension)

I'm on my way of changing my career to coaching. I just want to help people achieve better, healthier and more satisfying lives.

Divide By Zero

I'm a software developer.

Most of the work I do is database development in Oracle databases using SQL and PL/SQL.

J. van Deijck

how do you people have such cool jobs?

I build trains. more specifically, I produce electrical wiring for them. if I remember well, we work for a French company. I'm mostly responsible for brakes, doors and sometimes lights or air conditioning, then also other things. good thing is that I can assemble a d-sub connector with my eyes closed. :P

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
On 09/11/2017 at 11:36 PM, RiseOfCourage said:

As a teen, worked in a small factory bottling moisturizing lotion and fishing lure spray. We also manufactured female condoms...boy, were those odd looking and they didn't sell much! Later, during college, worked nights operating a huge cutting laser (zapping patterns & stuff in various materials).

After college, was an R&D lab tech for a cookware and kitchen appliance manufacturer. A new manager fired me and most of our department, wanted fresh blood I guess. 

Went to sea & became a marine mechanic/electrical technician. Most fun!

Now semi-retired due to cancer, but try to do odd jobs when can.

You seriously did a lot of cool, random jobs and it sounds super interesting! :o

On 08/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Mezzo Forte said:

I am currently an adjunct professor for a community college, but I am also applying for doctoral programs, so I may become a student/graduate assistant again in the near future.

I know we're the most alike people on here, since you were actually interested in my phd making that tuning system  ^_^ good luck with your applications!!!

I'm the hospital peon.

my title is "Kennel Technician," which is a little misleading, as I don't work in an actual kennel. It is mostly janitorial. Laundry is the biggest part. Cleaning bathrooms, floors, the lobby and break-room. Taking out garbage/recycle, and various cleaning tasks. Checking in shipments, tagging them and keeping up inventory. Most days, I work on the surgery side of "kennel" which includes stocking supplies and cleaning/sanitizing the surgery suites after each surgery.

Basically, I'm responsible for EVERYTHING in the hospital. ....which I am significantly under-paid for!

Soon, I will be moving to "Instrument Technician." Where I will be a different kind of peon. 

Cleaning, packing, sanitizing surgical instruments. Building carts for surgery (gathering all the things they will need for a particular surgery and delivering it to the surgery suite) Prepping a surgery room. Fetching things they need while in surgery (if the drop something and need it replaced, etc.) 

7 hours ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

You seriously did a lot of cool, random jobs and it sounds super interesting! :o

I know we're the most alike people on here, since you were actually interested in my phd making that tuning system  ^_^ good luck with your applications!!!

Thanks for the well wishes, my friend! I always love chatting with fellow academics, especially when music is involved in some way. Hope all your work is going well! :) 

Elftober Country

I work in construction. I've previously worked as a chirstmas elf... :ph34r:

Archived