Writing/publishing ACE LOVE STORIES (an ongoing fiction project)

Soreya

Yo! I just made an account here and so I hope desperately that this is the right place to mention this.

I'm a Creative Writing major and even though I have since graduated and have a full-time, non-writing job, I still want very much to write, and so I'm writing the stories I wish I'd had access to growing up. I spent a sorry twenty-something years believing that interest in and a willingness to have sex were essential ingredients in happy, loving, long-lasting relationships. (And I know I wasn't the only person who has grown up believing that, sadly.) That's a terrible black-hole of a mental space for anyone to live in, so I intend to spend a chunk of my foreseeable future writing and publishing happy-ending stories featuring asexual protagonists and asexual relationships.

The first two stories (one novella and one novel) are published, and I figured this might be a good place to spread the word about them? Both of them can be found here on my itty-bitty Wordpress page,  but you can also click on the titles below to be taken to their relevant Amazon pages.

More Than Enough is a novel-length gay/ace retelling of Beauty & the Beast.

Most believe the vanished Prince Fier to be dead, but some say they can see him as he skulks, more beast than man, past the darkened windows of his abandoned country manor. Petra, the manor's gardener, is interested more in trees and flowers than rumors. In his three years as the building's sole caretaker, he has not once encountered the missing prince. Surely Fier is dead and gone. But Fier isn't dead, and neither is he a monster. He's trapped in the gilded cage of his country home, alone and afraid. There is a beast, but it's not Fier.

I very selfishly wanted a copy of this one on my bookshelf, so it's available in print as well as in eBook format. It's still really new (I published it September), but it has two beautiful reviews on Amazon and folks on tumblr have been happy with it so far.

"Wolves in the Fold" is a fantasy novella loosely (loosely) based around vikings and, like, Icelandic shepherds, I guess?

When coastal marauders accidentally bring home a shepherd in addition to a flock of stolen sheep, only one member of the crew, Luka, is willing to give him a place to stay. Despite language barriers, conflicting cultural norms, and the shepherd’s prickly nature, the two gradually come to an understanding of each other, what they’re looking for, and what makes a place a home.

That one is sadly only available as an eBook for now, but I might stick in a short story anthology once I have enough of them finished.

That's all my news so far!

I love writing and reading ace romances or just companionship novels. I'm all over this. Thanks for sharing!

LadyWallflower

These seem interesting! I think I'll check them out. :) 

Awesome! I'm glad this is something that sounds interesting to you guys! May you like what you find! :D

• 3 months later...

Giving this thread a bump because Valentine's Day can be kind of a rough holiday for ace folks, so both of the eBooks mentioned above are free from today through Friday.

I also added a 5,000-word short story to my Wordpress site (ewambheim.wordpress.com). The title is "With Feathers On" and that one is free today and every day. <3

"With Feathers On" is loosely modeled after The Crane Wife folktale and features (as always~) an ace protagonist, an ace relationship, and (spoiler alert) a definite happy ending.

Stay warm out there and may today treat you kindly!

It's l

On 2/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, Soreya said:

"With Feathers On" is loosely modeled after The Crane Wife folktale and features (as always~) an ace protagonist, an ace relationship, and (spoiler alert) a definite happy ending.It's l

If you don't mind me asking, where is there an ace protagonist in the Crane Wife folktale?

13 hours ago, bound dust said:

If you don't mind me asking, where is there an ace protagonist in the Crane Wife folktale?

There isn't! It also doesn't traditionally feature a happy ending (although your mileage may vary on that one).

There are a handful of stories (fairy tales and folktales) that I wanted to marry to themes related to asexuality, two of which are "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Crane Wife." So while the original stories don't feature ace protagonists, the retellings do. If that answers your question?

On 2/18/2018 at 12:51 PM, Soreya said:

There isn't! It also doesn't traditionally feature a happy ending (although your mileage may vary on that one).

There are a handful of stories (fairy tales and folktales) that I wanted to marry to themes related to asexuality, two of which are "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Crane Wife." So while the original stories don't feature ace protagonists, the retellings do. If that answers your question?

Okay thanks, that does answer my question.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:39 PM, squaggly said:

lol imagine an ace version of 50 shades of gray

Ha ha would there even be a story left?

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, squaggly said:

lol imagine an ace version of 50 shades of gray

There is! It's called Shades of A.

Archived