owen.

Siblings?  

1. 1.

• No siblings, or did not grow up with them
    • Same sex
    • Different sex
    • Mixed sexes

This poll is closed to new votes

I guess I've always seen my romantic interests as being like a sister that I have strong intimate feelings for.. maybe that's a strange way to put it, but. I never had a sister so I'm just wondering if people almost look for a sort of sibling relationship they never had in an asexual partnership? I guess this poll makes somewhat heterocentric assumptions, but I didn't know quite how to avoid that.

I am an only child so I don't know what a relationship would be like. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a sister.

I'm also an only child, but as my mom's dating, she's finding a lot of men with children, so there's the possibility of me having step-siblings in the future.

I voted for "no siblings"

I have two older brothers, and I can definitely say that my relationship between them is nothing like the one I have with my boyfriend, despite the fact that he was my brother's best friend for years.

I have an older brother and an older sister. While my relationship with my sister is often stormy, my brother and I are the closest of friends. Though he's two years older than me, we look and act like twins. When we were in college, it was easier to dress alike and let people believe we were twins, because otherwise they always assumed we were married. :? Why do people find it so hard to believe that siblings can be friends?

I suppose that if I ever look for a relationship, I would look for someone who's a lot like my brother, simply for the fact that someone like him would share a lot of similiar interests and I'd be able to talk with them easily.

I have a younger sister. I also have 2 half sisters and a half brother.

I was an only child. I do have a step-sister, the daughter of my dad's third wife (my mom was his second), but I was already in my 20s when my dad remarried, so my step-sister and I met as adults. I also have a half-sister from my dad's first marriage, who I first met when I was 21 and haven't seen or heard from in almost 20 years. (Long story.)

I had an older brother who died a few years ago from cancer, and a sister who is 17 years younger. Almost like having a child without going through all the bother of having sex!

Yeee-ah... I can almost understand that point of view... I don't suppose I count, as one of my four brothers molested me when I was twelve, so I actually seek relationships as opposite to siblinghood as humanly possible.

deladangerous

I've got a brother and a sister.

As well as I get along with both of them, I don't think that I'd like a significant other who acts too much like either.

Just to clarify, I wasn't hypothesizing people would want someone to be like the siblings they had, but maybe like the ones they never had (the people who had no sibling of the opposite sex.) Not that it isn't interesting to look at from the other direction as well.

deladangerous

Aha. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Obviously since I had one sibling each of either gender, I probably can't relate to your situation.. And so far my "romantic" relationships haven't been brother/sistery. However, I now see where you're coming from, and wouldn't rule it out for others.

Provence2005

An older brother and sister.

I get on with my sister very well, but chalk and cheese with my brother.

HelloToYou

I have two sisters that are about a year and a half older than me.

I have a younger brother, who I get on very well with. I sometimes wish I could find some friends more like him.

I'm more of aromantic, so I can't say I'd ever thought about what a "romantic" relationship would be like at all, except a best friend with lots of extra complications. A brother is more like a best friend without the complications.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 sisters, 2 brothers, and 2 half-siblings (my father was a bit of a rove-around) whose genders I dont know.

I am eldest.

And age-position in a family is an whole other story -

I cherish all my whanau / family including one sibling I dont get on with paticularly well-

I have five brothers and six sisters. No step-siblings. I'm the youngest. My romantic relationships have all been women who are nothing like my sisters.

JokeyFairbobbin

I have one "little" brother who is 6 inches taller than me. Mostly we live our separate lives, though we tend to stick up for each other in arguments even when we disagree. We're just two people living in the same house who've learned that it's better survival tactics to be nice.

*blink*

Is it weird I never thought about this? I'm going to spend all day tomorrow thinking about the brother I never thought about not having.

• 11 months later...

my brother and i don't get along at all.

I have a sister one year older than me with whom I'm really close. I also have a half-brother and a half-sister, both of which are somewhat older than me and my sis. My brother lives on the other side of the city so I rarely see him, and my half-sister lives close by and has two sons who I love. We're an amiable family :)

I have two elder brothers but I didn't grow up with them so I went for the first option. They see me and defend me as their little sister but really they've always just been those two boys who visit me sometimes. I have a lot in common with them interests-wise and see them far more than I used to but, still, the sibling feelings aren't there.

Frigid Pink

I have a younger brother.

I have to admit that my brother and the person I am currently involved with look similar and have similar personalities and mannerisms, but people say the same thing about my brother and me.

I believe I am attracted to those with a similar personality or interests as me and so it makes sense that I would be attracted to someone similar to my brother because my brother is similar to me.

• 4 months later...

I have a younger brother who I'm relatively close with. We used to fight ALL the time, but when I left for college, we realized that we actually do miss each other. I'm not sure about seeing my past relationships like a brother relationship. Honestly, I feel closer to my brother than I have with either of my past boyfriends partly because we did grow up together. We have a lot in common (a fact I denied vehemently when I was a kid); we kinda understand how the other thinks.

Archived