A model came out as asexual

I wasn't talking about how YOU think she looks, just pointing out that your assertation that the fact that she's a model makes asexuality less likely to be taken seriously is completely incorrect. 

I disagree, but whatevs.

I honestly find it quite baffling how anyone could disagree with me, but I usually feel that way due to what I assume is a little underlying narcissism.. I mean, I'm always right according to me :P

Anyway, someone who could get sex from anyone they wanted who is saying 'i'm asexual, I have no interest in sexual relationships' seems way more proof that asexuality is an actual thing than showing someone who would probably have a real hard time getting sex which everyone would (cruelly and unfairly) claim they're only saying they're ace to make their lack of sex seem more legit.

Also, asexuality isn't about a lack of attractiveness, or about naivety as to sex appeal or whatever.. just like being a lesbian isn't about wanting to appear unnatractive to men. Anyone can be asexual just as anyone can be a lesbian, it's about what you desire inside (or don't desire) not about your outward appearance or what job you choose. Proving these facts to the outside world seems, to me, to be a massive step toward more acceptance and understanding of asexuality. Trying to show that all asexuals are naive about beauty or 'sexual appeal', and that they all have this base level of cluelessness about how to 'work your looks to make money' or what sexual people can be drawn to, seems like it would only reinforce those negative and incorrect seterotypes that are out there.

I mean, there are also plenty of sexual people out there who are utterly clueless about how to make themselves look more sexually appealing - they might even be attractive people underneath a really bad haircut and bad clothes etc so if they just 'tidied themselves up' they could 'work their sex appeal'. Yet people in that situation are either clueless about how to look attractive or really don't care and know that the right person will love them for who they are and not for how they look. If there are sexual people like that (and there are MANY like that) then of course then there can be asexuals who are the total opposite of that - who know exactly how to work a pair of red high heels and a tight black dress or whatever - The ace just would never be doing it for the specific reason of attracting sexual partners for the sole purpose of sexual enjoyment. (Even sexual people don't always dress up sexy for the purpose of attracting the opposite sex - some just love feeling good about themselves by looking nice! It's a personal choice thing as opposed to being anything to do with your sexual orientation).

Okay, long and probably senseless ramble is over now - just trying to say that what you do with your body or what job you have often is just an individual thing and has nothing to do with your sexual orientation!

Does modeling really have to be about sex appeal? I mean, it can be, but I thought it was mostly about just being pretty.

23 hours ago, Philip027 said:

The real question to me is why we're linking their stuff if they're apparently so bad.

As I commented before, regarding asexuality the tabloids in the UK are currently doing a decent job, for their standards, and also - sadly - compared to the higher quality media. I don't expect in-depth reporting from a tabloid, but if they write about asexuality without getting their facts wrong, it's enough to make me happy. It won't make me a Daily Mail reader, but that's not the point. :)

Also this is World Watch, it doesn't say "Selected Media We Like Watch".

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

It's great that Asexuality is being brought out like this. As for the Daily Mail, that's the standard of it. I always fail to understand how sexual people can't get their head around aces! Especially in the light of all that stuff coming out in the press these days, that makes people  look foolish and desperate (I refer to recent scandals in Hollywood, House of Commons etc). Maybe ace will be refreshing eventually.

I was thinking about this some more and about how people would rather choose to believe that she is a snob than that she is asexual, in order to protect their egos. But that doesn't make much sense to me, because surely it is more hurtful to think that someone is snubbing you than to just accept that they lack sexual attraction.

Archived