The Asexual Census 2015 report

timewarp

*drum roll*

Now for something I guess you didn't expect - here it is, the 2015 Asexual Census Report!

The Ace Community Survey Team has now considerably more volunteers as of very recently and should be able to get reports out faster in the future. One of the main reasons this report took so long is that the team back coded, or read through and included all write in responses where they could. This is time intensive and should be more manageable with a larger number of volunteers. You might also notice that this report is a bit longer than 2014, which also took additional time.

There are additional data analysis and blog posts that we hope to get to dig deeper. If you are a researcher you can also request the data itself.

I would like to add a very big thank you to the survey team! They've been doing an amazing job on both this report and the 2017 survey which is open for participation. Also thanks to everybody who has participated in the survey. It would not be possible without your participation.

:cake::cake::cake:

I think the most interesting finding is the similar gender ratio between asexual spectrum and non-asexual spectrum respondents, which repeats the findings of the 2014 Community Census. It's also reminiscent of what Yule, Brotto, and Gorzalka encountered when they used online recruitment for their 2014 paper on biological correlates of asexuality, where both the asexuals and the homosexual and heterosexual control groups were predominately female, and the comparatively small number of male respondents made it difficult to do statistical analysis in some cases.

It has been argued that asexuals are more likely to be female, and that asexuals are more likely to subscribe to non-traditonal gender identies, and there are some reasons why it would seem logical for that to be the case, but this makes me question the validity of the empirical evidence used to support those claims when it is obtained from recruitment through online asexual communities.

WinterWanderer

Neat!! I hope that researchers cite this and/or request the data for projects in the future. It's incredibly insightful.

@Pramana About the lack of male respondents in the 2015 survey, I feel positive that the number will increase for this years' 2017 survey, because I've noticed an increase in the number of new, male, asexual members on AVEN.

ThinkNotVanilla

This is incredible guys! Massive kudos to the professionalism and detail in the report.

May I suggest a high-level overview for the those reading at-a-glance? 

Archived