Is your bed in the middle or the corner of your room?

Jea

Is your bed in the middle or the corner of your room?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Is your bed in the middle or the corner of your room?

• Middle (touches no wall)
    • Middle (but against the wall at the head)
    • Corner (against 2 walls)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Wondering because I saw a post on facebook (a screenshot from tumblr I think) that said becoming an adult is not having your bed in the corner of your room anymore. I'm 22 and the first thing I did when I moved in the room I live in now was to put my bed in the corner ^_^

Unrelated question to the mod of this subforum: should off-A polls be in the census forum or in off-A? The rules say it's supposed to be in off-A (and that's where I usually post mine) but most censuses are in here so I was wondering :)

I think I saw that post floating around as well. Anyway, I'm still pretty happy with my single bed squished in the corner so that I can cram some shelves and a desk in my bedroom as well :lol:

Having a bed in the middle of the room seems like such a bad use of available space. I have mine in a corner, specifically so that I've got plenty of room. Whether or not I'll use that for something is another thing other than my computer desk that I already have in here.

everywhere and nowhere

In the corner, where else? Of course it's a single bed, less than a meter wide. :P

By the way, apart from not having sex anyway: I absolutely hate sleeping in one bed with someone. And it must be torture for the other person as well. I emotionally dislike sleeping anyway, perceive it as a chore and a waste of time, I suffer from moderate insomnia and won't do anything about it because of my absolute sleeping-pill-phobia: they are anyway among the most risky psychoactive substances and so I will never take a sedative stronger than those "goodnight" teas with slightly sedative herbs such as lemon balm, lavender, hops... I can only sleep on the side so in the night I repeatedly turn from one side to the other and that must be really exhausting for anyone sleeping with me.

An example:

Once I went to a skiing holiday with my mother and some of her friends and a mistake was made: a single room was reserved for us. The only alternative was a double room without a bathroom. I can't stand rooms without bathroom because of my extreme discomfort with nudity, and at that time it was even more out of the question because I was having my period. We slept the first night in one bed and in the morning we decided that we can't spend almost a week like this. My mum managed to find (from her friends and the guest house) a sleeping mat and some blankets, so she laid the mat on the floor next to the bed, the quilt on top, and we both slept in day clothes under blankets only. I spent one night on the floor, but this makeshift "bed" was very hard anyway, so I woke up so sore that we agreed that mum would spend the next two nights on the floor and then, for the final night, I would sleep on the floor because she needed to rest before driving (I can't drive). Unfortunately for her, it didn't work... the last night was New Year. My mum went with her friends to the slope to watch the fireworks and I didn't want to, so I stayed in the room reading a book. By the time my mum returned, I was already asleep on the bed, so she had no choice but sleep on the floor...

mine is at the side but not in the corner as i need to be able to get to the bookshelves

Luftschlosseule

In the corner, but it's a one person bed. If you have a two-person bed, you need to be able to go in comfortably from two sides so you can get up without waking the other person - and when you have a two-person bed, and a small room, it might not matter much where you put it.

Middle with head against the wall. I’m reluctant to move beds when i move into rented housing so leave it as it is. Would prefer the corner. 

I chose other, as my bed touches 3 walls.

My single bed is in a niche. The head and foot touch short walls, while the side is against the long wall. This leaves the rest of the room open for 2 dressers, a side table made from antique suitcases, and some bookshelves.

I don't remember ever having my bed in a corner before. Even when I was younger. 

Forest Spirit

In the corner, as it has always been in any of my past bedrooms. My current bed is quite big too (1.40 m wide) so I use the side which is touching the wall as my actual sleeping bed and the other side as a sort of couch, very comfy :D 

AwkwardAxolotl

my bed is in the corner, but that was a matter of practicality. My bedroom is small enough that unless I put the bed in the opposite corner from the door, I wouldn't be able to open the door all the way.

Mine's in the corner. I have a small room, so I don't think it would be practical anywhere else. It's also a midi sleeper, up a ladder. Is that "adult"? Probably not, but I don't care.

Middle with the head against a wall

1 hour ago, Findus said:

becoming an adult is not having your bed in the corner of your room anymore.

WTF. How is this related. No wait, I don't even want to know.

J. van Deijck

mine is in the corner. the reason is that

2 hours ago, Una Salus Victus said:

Having a bed in the middle of the room seems like such a bad use of available space. 

the best thing is that I share a bed with another person and it's still against two walls :D and, seconding @Homer, how is it even related??

Sleepy Skeleton

Mine is in the corner because it prevents my stuffed animals from falling to the floor, it leaves more space in my room for activities, and I feel too exposed if I'm not in the corner! :P

everywhere and nowhere

I have a very large apartment for a single person, but that's good - I have about 3000 books and they have to fit somewhere...

But as for small rooms, a funny story.

Just for digression: recently my washing mashine broke down and I had to get a new one. In the process I discovered that supposedly all top-loaded washing mashines are made to the same size so that users can be sure that a new washing mashine will fit the available space. (Finally, it turned out that my uncle has a washing mashine he couldn't use because the shape of their bathroom required a side-loaded one, so my mum and her husband brought that mashine all the way from Bavaria and, around 10 pm, we brought it to the seventh floor with some help from my neighbor.)

However, it probably wasn't the case once and my granny had an absolutely HUGE old side-loaded washing mashine. And her bathroom was so small that one almost had to squeeze next to the mashine to get inside - OK, maybe not squeeze, but about 15 centimeters or so of the mashine's side were already in line with the door frame. And then there was the toilet... the washing mashine was so huge that there was less than 10 centimeters space between the washing mashine and the toilet bowl. The only possibility was to sit on the longer side... Than she had a renovation and the toilet bowl was put diagonally between the washing mashine and the wash-basin, so finally she could sit on the toilet in a normal position. And then, after many years of use, the washing mashine finally broke down and she bought a new, MUCH smaller one.

Corner. It used to be in the middle for a while at my old place but there was barely any room, especially considering my bed is queen sized. Not sure what that has to do with being an adult.

My bed was designed to be placed in a corner, so yeah. XD 

mines in the corner currently, well mostly, there's a night table between one of the walls and my bed..., though before it was in the middle at an angle with one corner of it touching the wall..

Middle. Head at the wall. 

Its the sign of adulthood because you can't have the bed in the corner if there are two people that sleep in it. Aka you're married, or have a SO living with you. It's so you do not climb over each other when sleeping.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Skeleton said:

Mine is in the corner because it prevents my stuffed animals from falling to the floor, it leaves more space in my room for activities, and I feel too exposed if I'm not in the corner! :P

Same! I have plushies and cushions all along one side, and a really long, narrow room, so middle seems impractical.

I have a two-person bed in the corner against two walls and even though I have a lot of space in that bed all for myself I always sleep right next to the wall, sometimes even touching the wall.
Somehow I like sleeping next to walls and when I dated a guy who had his bed placed in the middle of his room I realised that I don’t like that at all, no clue why that is I’m probably just weird like that but I would have rather gotten into that bed from the wrong end or climbed over him than sleeping in the middle of the room so far away from the wall x’D

Mine is in the middle of the room with the head against the wall. The way my room is built, it wouldn't be possible for it to fit in a corner and still be able to open the door.

I'd say it's in a corner, but there's about 10cm space to both walls, so it would count as "middle" for the poll. It's not touching, but it's not enough space to walk there either. And I'm sleeping with my feet in the corner.

I like having two nightstands, so I have it far enough away from one wall to fit one. I usually face that wall when sleeping, so that is the nightstand with the lamp and the alarm clock. The other nightstand is on the side I sit on when I'm getting dressed, since it faces my closet, so that's where I keep things I use when getting ready for the day or for bed at night - moisturizer, deodorant, nail care, etc.

Archived