Cool, quirky, agender names?

So, this is actually very random, but it just proves that us artists/writers are as weird as you think we are. At around 2:00, I started a doodle of a person falling, as if they had fallen off a cliff, or had been dropped down a large chasm. As I'm working on the drawing, the thought occurs to me that this person looked very androgynous and/or non binary in terms of gender expression. I finish the doodle, and I'm wondering what compelled me to draw this figure, but before I finish my wondering, I decide that this person needs a name and a story. I have searched for an hour and a half, looking for a fitting unisex name. I tried baby name sites, I tried name generators, I even tried one of those name blender things, although you might not know what that means. I don't either. 

Anyway, I need a few ideas for non binary names. The three examples I have are: Skylar, Phoenix, and Max. But I need more data. And I might give you a reference picture later, but if I forget, sorry. 

Thx

• Like 1

There are ones that are nicknames that could be derived from similar male and female names, such as Alex (short for Alexander or for Alexandra).

There are ones that are gender neutral words (in the grammatical sense), such as River (Phoenix, Song, Tam)

There are ones that come from last names, such as Taylor (Swift, Lautner)

Just to give a few examples of name categories.

• Like 3

The two i can think off the top of my head are Raffaele (male name in Italy, female in Brazil) and Alexis.

• Like 1

Ray,

Ash,

Morgan,

Rowan,

Courtney,

Avery,

Pluto

Blaine,

Hunter,

Quinn,

• Like 2
AnarchistTactician

I can sorta think of 3.

1. Devon/Devin I knew a girl from pre-K to a tad of Kindergarten by this name. Essentiallly my best friend. When we moved down fro  Michigan the same year, my new K class had a male Devon (Devin?) in it. Cannot remember selling cause I was too young to know. Basically, Devin is a coinflip.

2. Jesse/Jessie. I knew a kid named Jesse, befriended him. As for Jessie well, I still know her and she's really nice. Once again, you can't tell by name, though Jessie (derived from Jessica) is more common.

3. Artemis. Now, I know what you're thinking. Artemis? A male name? Surely not. Well, yes, there is the goddess (as in female) of Hunt, the Moon, and Virginity, but then there's also men named that. Ever heard of Artemis Fowl? (I wonder if goddess Arty over there would try to hunt him, He IS fowl.) Hell, I'm considering that name as FtM just cause it's cool, and is linked to cool people.

• Like 2

I love all the names you guys have inputted into this discussion, I appreciate it. Some of those names I have even written down as possibilities. And @AnarchistSpooktician, I have heard of Artemis Fowl, and there was another Artemis that I had seen used as a male name, and I thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't even considered it. I'll have to stew on it overnight, but I will say when I have made a decision.

• Like 2
MaxIsSocallyAwkward

Arlo

Airlie

Arden 

Devin

Emery

Gray

Harlow

Indigo

Jalen

• Like 2
The_Reluctant_Dragon

My favorite is probably Quinn since I used to go by that name.

• Like 2
flagsforhippos

The person in the drawing feels very much like a 'Finn' to me. It's more commonly a boys' name but it is also a female given name.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, flagsforhippos said:

The person in the drawing feels very much like a 'Finn' to me. It's more commonly a boys' name but it is also a female given name.

Yes!! Thank you for helping me make a decision! I was stuck between the name Finn and the name Blue, but now I have it! Finn it is. Although, now I need a last name, but that doesn't apply to this right now. I do love all the names you guys have contributed, and I am sorry I could not choose other ones, but now I have a bunch of names for future use! I might continue drawing Finn, but I also might not. 

Fun fact, the Gaelic meaning of the name Finn is "little blonde soldier," which actually fits into the characters personality so far.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Shylock said:

Fun fact, the Gaelic meaning of the name Finn is "little blonde soldier," which actually fits into the characters personality so far.

One of the most important Irish folk heroes is called Finn MacCool. His father was the coolest.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

The names I've considered for myself have been Elliott, Desi, and Ash. There's also names like Alex and Quinn. Personally I think the person in your drawing looks a lot like an Alex, but I don't know about their personality and backstory and that's also important when naming a character.

• 4 months later...

I was brainstorming ideas for a possible video game recently (general premise: you have to go for a nice long drive across an alien planet; little/no direct combat but treacherous terrain instead) and I wanted it to have a non-binary player character, and I came up with the name Meridan (pronounced like Mare Ih Dan) as a sort of fusion between Maryanne/Meridith and Dan/Daniel. There is probably further potential for creating non-binaryish names in this way, though I can't think of any that 'click' like that off the top of my head.

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 5:07 AM, Lore_1324 said:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Emi0jU0-Ouo/WeF0fK9HX8I/AAAAAAAADes/dJIFBhrQyLsEjWnvKfIzZmCCxHja0g_2wCJoC/w530-h707-n-rw/image1.JPG

So, this is the drawing I was talking about, I don't know if the link works, but if it does, there's reference for the names.

I can't see it sadly :(. 

Luftschlosseule

My name is Kim. I got lucky.

The picture link doesn't work for me, either.

• Like 1
DuranDuranfan
On 3/1/2019 at 6:20 AM, Iridium said:

"Finn" reminds me of Adventure Time.

Or Detective Tutuola on Law & Order: SVU

• 1 month later...
AlexTheGrey

Grey, Frankie, Carson, Jess, Haley, Jayden/Jaydin

AlexTheGrey

Another thought is going by your last name. I did that for a while before I decided "Grey" is a better fit.

Minty greens

Pinx, Silk, Aura, Nova, Phlox, Tea, Onyx, Crimson, Azure, Mint, Bip.

and my name, Alis

• 4 months later...
kaiistherealme

i really like the name 'alex' but my ex-friends name was alex. shes trans, and goes by touka now, but i still feel like that would be weird if she heardsomeone call me her dead name :/. idK whAt tO dO hElP

• Like 1
Luftschlosseule
13 hours ago, kaiistherealme said:

i really like the name 'alex' but my ex-friends name was alex. shes trans, and goes by touka now, but i still feel like that would be weird if she heardsomeone call me her dead name :/. idK whAt tO dO hElP

Ask her if you can.

soso-onbroadway

I'm writing a story with a non-binary character and these are the names I came up with for them before settling on Bean:

charlie

skyler

justice

sawyer

parker

hope this helps anyone who needs it!

• Like 1