New Ace character in British Soap

Welsh Ace

A national British soap seems to be having an aexual character!!!! A 15 year old girl in it has just confessed to another character that she does not like boys nor girls and expressed concerns that it was "weird."  I really do hope that they are actually going for an ace story line and that she ends up being a positive asexual role model for teenagers growing up with asexual feelings. I do have some concerns that they might end up makng her a lesbian in denial, a late bloomer or, worst of all, make it into some kind of medical problem.

However, I am hopeful that it will be an asexual storyline and she will be an ace character in soaps in the UK

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/12/emmerdale-spoilers-is-liv-flaherty-asexual-as-she-makes-a-confession-to-belle-dingle-6996494/

🤞🤞🤞

lol, I'd just seen this in the comments section of the metro article:

Please dont make this child a lesbian there are so many in the soaps that it really is unbelievable. Also dont think I have a problem with sexuality I dont just dont like ridiculous possibilities in soaps today just for shock value.

Somebody probably didn't see the video in the article nor read it properly.

Wow. That is a big deal. I've watched several U.K. shows and movies, but haven't seen openly asexual characters in them at all.

19 hours ago, Scott1989 said:

lol, I'd just seen this in the comments section of the metro article:

Somebody probably didn't see the video in the article nor read it properly.

I know, either they totally misunderstand what asexuality is or didn't even both reading and just ranted about lesbians.

Another comment said that, at 15, she is too young to know she is asexual. The character herself nailed that i the scene when Belle said something along the lines that she was too young Liv responded with somethig along the lines with "Did you know when you were my age?"

I really hope they are going down the asexual route for Liv and they handle it well.

flagsforhippos

Great for asexual visibility but I wouldn't sit through an episode of Emmerdale for all the tea in Yorkshire

Doesn't seem 100% confirmed so for now I won't cross my fingers for hope of representation.

• 3 months later...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not because ace representation wouldn't be great in a soap, but because I was going to pitch an ace teenage girl storyline to Hollyoaks! It's an open competition for anyone with no writing experience, and I was pitching it as (I believed) the first ace character ever in a British soap. Which I imagine they would've snapped up.

That is so annoying. I mean, great, but also so annoying.

On 19/01/2018 at 5:51 PM, Browncoat10 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not because ace representation wouldn't be great in a soap, but because I was going to pitch an ace teenage girl storyline to Hollyoaks! It's an open competition for anyone with no writing experience, and I was pitching it as (I believed) the first ace character ever in a British soap. Which I imagine they would've snapped up.

That is so annoying. I mean, great, but also so annoying.

You should still write it - come on, we could do with more representation! And is the character in Emmerdale confirmed?

First openly ace character in a British soap? Or how about the first male ace, if you're up for writing a boy? At the very least it would be good writing practice.

(This is coming from someone who's seen about two minutes of Hollyoaks and changes channel whenever a soap comes on. I half follow the Archers, but only because my mother listens)

11 hours ago, Zebrafinch said:

You should still write it - come on, we could do with more representation! And is the character in Emmerdale confirmed?

First openly ace character in a British soap? Or how about the first male ace, if you're up for writing a boy? At the very least it would be good writing practice.

(This is coming from someone who's seen about two minutes of Hollyoaks and changes channel whenever a soap comes on. I half follow the Archers, but only because my mother listens)

Oh yeah, I'm still gonna do it. I want that writing job! It's just annoying cos I was selling it as the first ever, and now (it looks like) it wouldn't be. But for various reasons I have had to change my idea from a girl to a boy, so it would still be the first male ace.

I've never seen Hollyoaks either btw, or I hadn't til I heard about the competition. Got some research to do...

banana monkey

The emmerdale storyline seems to have gone off the radar now anyway, so I think if they go anywhere with it in the future (which they probably wont) Liv will probably turn out being Lesbian as many non - hetrosexual people dont realise until they are older. - probably 18 at least. I didnt know until I was 25. 

3 hours ago, banana monkey said:

The emmerdale storyline seems to have gone off the radar now anyway, so I think if they go anywhere with it in the future (which they probably wont) Liv will probably turn out being Lesbian as many non - hetrosexual people dont realise until they are older. - probably 18 at least. I didnt know until I was 25. 

I dunno, I suspect they'll come back to it. Or at the very least just leave it how they have, with her probably being ace, and not have her discover she's actually straight/gay. Soaps generate so much story there's literally nothing they haven't covered... except, as far as I can tell, asexuality. I don't think they're about to give up the rare position they're in of being the first soap to cover a story that no other soap has covered yet.

But I could be wrong.

The Emmerdale Liv thing is just speculation (although I be surprised if they don't do the storyline given they didn't kill the story)  However I think you should submit your script to Hollyoaks, not only might Emmerdale not be going down the asexual path but having two soaps do it would be great for representation. Also, Hollyoaks still might be the first to do it if Emmerdale sit on the storyline or actual take it in a different (and wrong) direction. 

I'm definitely still gonna submit the ace idea for Hollyoaks, fear not. In fact, if anyone would be willing to read it (it's just a 600 word outline) I could really use an extra pair of eyes. Obviously it's not the lovely, simple, discovering one is ace story that I'd like to tell (eg. BoJack), because it's a soap and everything on a soap has to be bigger and unrealistic, but I like to think I've done the actual ace stuff alright.

Mind you, obviously I only had my own experiences as an ace to go off, so who knows, I might have found some way to offend some section of the ace community, which I really don't want to do. So yeah, if anyone would be willing to read it message me and I'll send it to you.

I'm afraid it will turn into another repeat of that infamous "House" episode where the guy only ... err...  ahem...  "thought he was asexual."

I shouldn't think so, not after the stick House (rightly) got for that story.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... sent off the Hollyoaks application! Should hear by 4th of June one way or another. God, that's ages. Here's hoping anyway.

Huh, so there is presence. I had asked in another topic about whether UK soaps have done anything for asexuals like they had with the lesbian relationship in Brookside.

I see this was in October... Has the storyline developed? How has the reception been for the character?

@Browncoat10 Yeah, it is good you sent it in because being first does not matter. Representation is the aim and your idea may be better developed and more revealing than whatever Emmerdale has planned.

Yay! I’ve followed this soap on and off because of the Aaron/Jackson/Robert storylines so I’m thrilled that they are actually going to have Liv be Ace! 

5 hours ago, Welsh Ace said:

Bit of an update:

Hide contents

It is going to happen next week 

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-02-06/emmerdale-liv-confides-in-gabby-about-her-asexuality-next-week/

Lets hope they pull it off well. 

Emmerdale has hinted at tackling the taboo subject of asexuality for a while as Liv goes through adolescence

Really, radiotimes? Not 'misunderstood' or 'largely unknown'?

Disappointing that Emmerdale is such a rubbish soap. It’s good that they have the courage to tackle this subject though.

7 hours ago, James121 said:

Disappointing that Emmerdale is such a rubbish soap. It’s good that they have the courage to tackle this subject though.

It's not really a rubbish soap. It's just that all soaps are rubbish.

Janus the Fox
19 hours ago, umbasa said:

Really, radiotimes? Not 'misunderstood' or 'largely unknown'?

Yes though hardly asexuality, described as taboo is quite a bit... strange to me, it's hardly a prohibited or restricted social custom in any sence.

Archived