Free the Nipple, I'd like some asexual perspectives

Groobly

Free the Nipple?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should a woman be able to show her nipple as much as a man can?

• Yes, free the damn things already.
    • No, hide it away, begone!

3 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

That’s what disagreeing is to you? Attacking? There weren’t  any insults or condscending marks, so why would you call it an attack?

I thought you were so into "free the nipple" thing you attempted to "educate" me in biology.

17 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Women should be able to do whatever they want, but at the same time, can't get upset if people look.

Why?

On 10/15/2017 at 1:37 AM, Sleighcaptain said:

Also, serious question here, because obviously I can't speak from experience. Is an uninvited nipple erection when constrained behind clothing rather uncomfortable. If so, further reason that people should be allowed to go topless if they so wish. 

Sometimes when the nipples are erect they become more sensitive to certain fabrics (of course nipples are more sensitive to that anyway). However, they don't really feel constrained because of it. 

58 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I simply wanted to suggest as to why breasts might need to be covered. I didn't state any point. I was trying to be completely neutral. Instead, I've been attacked by people who supposedly know more about human anatomy and physiology than a person who studies such stuff.

I'm sorry that you felt like you were attacked, myself and others were just disagreeing with your assertion that 'technically breasts are part of the reproductive system', we were saying they're not so that's not a reason why some people might want them covered. The reason is more just societal prudishness. A 150 years ago, (some particularly open minded, forward-thinking) people would have had this exact same discussion about whether or not a woman should be allowed to show her ankles. Men were allowed to go to the beach in shorts with their legs and chests bare, but a woman had to be covered from her neck to her feet at all times and couldn't even consider going to a beach. Then as hemlines started getting slightly shorter there was outrage about the idea of a woman's ankles being publicly seen. They were also lusted after in the same way breasts are but that's because they were such a secret, taboo thing.. but a lot of people thought men would get aroused and wouldn't be able to control themselves etc if women were allowed to have their ankles out in public. So really it's the same thing, just about a different body part :P

How?

erogenous zones are parts of the body you can stimulate in a certain way to make that person sexually aroused.. I think it's something to do with the nerve connections or something? like if you run your tongue on someone's nose they'll laugh and think you're being silly, but there is a spot in the earlobe that will get them sexually aroused if stimulate it with your tongue in the right way. The lips are a big one, which is one of the reasons why 'kissing' is such a big thing. I often see threads here asking 'why do people kiss' but not only is it fun and bonding (for people who enjoy it) the lips and some parts inside the mouth are erogenous zones so through long, slow, tongue kissing a couple can both get very aroused prior to sex as a direct result of the stimulation of those zones. Nipples are the same in both sexes, but again it's a certain type of stimulation. a very gentle, slow rubbing almost. Which is why people generally don't get aroused if a dentist is giving them an oral exam or a baby is suckling the nipple (as two examples).. those are very different types of stimulation than the ones that will get someone aroused, plus the person needs to be in an already sexually open mood for the stimulation to work. Men and women have erogenous zones in all sorts of interesting places!

Wanna hear a fun fact? The inside of a human nostril is vascularized in the same way as a phallus is (for a reason, of course).

Interesting! At the end of a male octopus's third right arm is its penis and this 'arm' has erectile tissue in it just like in mammalian penises do, it's the only part of an octopuses body that can get hard :P (other than the beak, but that's already hard haha)

knittinghistorian
On 10/11/2017 at 3:34 PM, Julian of Norwich said:

I don't even get how hair can be disgusting as long as it is washed regularly.

I live in South Texas. There’s a sweatiness issue, especially for armpit hair... I think it’s gross on men and women both, all wet and matted and smelly.

Just now, knittinghistorian said:

I live in South Texas. There’s a sweatiness issue, especially for armpit hair... I think it’s gross on men and women both, all wet and matted and smelly.

Did you know that sweat is the reason we still have hair in those places? I highly doubt you'll be any less smelly without armpit hair if you don't wash. I don't know how hot it gets in Texas, but I've experienced temperatur of up to 38°C.

knittinghistorian
4 minutes ago, Julian of Norwich said:

Did you know that sweat is the reason we still have hair in those places? I highly doubt you'll be any less smelly without armpit hair if you don't wash. I don't know how hot it gets in Texas, but I've experienced temperatur of up to 38°C.

In the summer we often get temperatures in the 90s F, and I live on the coast, so it’s reeeeealy humid. Heat indices of 110-120 F are not unusual, with no evaporation of sweat. It’s pretty common in the summer for the simple temperature to be at or above 100 F all across Texas.

5 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

I'm sorry that you felt like you were attacked, myself and others were just disagreeing with your assertion that 'technically breasts are part of the reproductive system', we were saying they're not so that's not a reason why some people might want them covered. The reason is more just societal prudishness. A 150 years ago, (some particularly open minded, forward-thinking) people would have had this exact same discussion about whether or not a woman should be allowed to show her ankles. Men were allowed to go to the beach in shorts with their legs and chests bare, but a woman had to be covered from her neck to her feet at all times and couldn't even consider going to a beach. Then as hemlines started getting slightly shorter there was outrage about the idea of a woman's ankles being publicly seen. They were also lusted after in the same way breasts are but that's because they were such a secret, taboo thing.. but a lot of people thought men would get aroused and wouldn't be able to control themselves etc if women were allowed to have their ankles out in public. So really it's the same thing, just about a different body part :P

I kinda take pride in my knowledge and maybe that's why I felt attacked. Thank you for your clarification. Anyway, long, long ago, people associated feminine curves with fertility, akin to the phallus. Amongst other animalia, "sexual attractiveness" is strongly associated with passing the best possible genes onto the offspring. Maybe humans still harbor something like that. Though, I don't understand why men cannot hold themselves.

18 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

erogenous zones are parts of the body you can stimulate in a certain way to make that person sexually aroused.. I think it's something to do with the nerve connections or something? like if you run your tongue on someone's nose they'll laugh and think you're being silly, but there is a spot in the earlobe that will get them sexually aroused if stimulate it with your tongue in the right way. The lips are a big one, which is one of the reasons why 'kissing' is such a big thing. I often see threads here asking 'why do people kiss' but not only is it fun and bonding, the lips and some parts inside the mouth are erogenous zones so through long, slow, tongue kissing a couple can both get very aroused prior to sex as a direct result of the stimulation of those zones. Nipples are the same in both sexes, but again it's a certain type of stimulation. a very gentle, slow rubbing almost. Which is why people generally don't get aroused if a dentist is giving them an oral exam or a baby is suckling the nipple (as two examples).. those are very different types of stimulation than the ones that will get someone aroused, plus the person needs to be in an already sexually open mood for the stimulation to work. Men and women have erogenous zones in all sorts of interesting places!

Now I see. This part of neurobiology never caught my interest, hah

24 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

Interesting! At the end of a male octopus's third right arm is it's penis and this 'arm' has erectile tissue in it just like in mammalian penises do, it's the only part of an octopuses body that can get hard :P (other than the beak, but that's already hard haha)

Omg! Human nostrils need erectile tissue to close one of them in a certain interval to let the epithelium regenerate.

3 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Because you don't get to control the the light that bounces off your body and goes into someone else's eyes.

Looking is one thing. But a person has the right to be upset if the people looking feel the need to comment. I'm quite conservative in a lot of my views but this is one I can't budge on, another person has no right to say to you 'you've got nice tits' and that's regardless of whether they're covered or not. And okay I totally understand the whole 'free speech, I'm allowed to say whatever I want to whomever I want' argument but if that's the case, I'm allowed to be offended and tell that person to fuck off, then go on the internet and have a rant about how idiots feel the need to comment on my body. They can look if they can't help themselves (let's face it, humans often look at other humans) but there should be this basic personal boundaries etiquette where you don't *comment* on someone else's body.. well wait, there already is. I don't walk up to an old person and say 'you've got particularly grey hair', I don't walk up to an Asian person and say 'you've got very Asian eyes', I don't walk up to an overweight person and say 'you've got a particularly fat belly', even if I personally think grey hair is lovely, Asian eyes are beautiful, or fat bellies are very attractive.. it's still basic common decency not to mention to those things to a stranger. Yet as soon as it comes to a big pair of tits or a particularly firm bottom, certain people seem to think they have this God-given right to make a comment even though they'd also never say the above things I just listed to the types of people I mentioned. The same rules of common decency should apply to all parts of the human body on all TYPES of people. Just because a pretty lady has a firm pair of large breasts doesn't mean she deserves less respect than the old person with grey hair, the Asian person, or the overweight person, or anyone else.

Look, but there is absolutely no reason to comment.

Oh boy... I would never say "Nice tits" to a lass.. It's just corny, and really, that's no way to start a conversation with anyone. Even at a topless bar I wouldn't comment on the aesthetics of someones body. It's just not the gentlemanly thing to do.. 

18 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Women should be able to do whatever they want, but at the same time, can't get upset if people look.  Additionally, a bare-chested woman would have to be treated the same way as a bare-chested man would in terms of sexual harassment / assault claims.

22 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Because you don't get to control the the light that bounces off your body and goes into someone else's eyes.

But to me, this seems to be trying to put blame onto the victim of the harassment of assault and seems to be trying to alleviate the amount of blame to the perpetrator of the assault or harassment. 

A person who assaults someone is responsible for their own actions and they alone, the appearance of the victim should not be a mitigating circumstances. 

1 minute ago, CaptainYesterday said:

If I'm making my way through a crowd at a beach and I use my arm as sort of a wedge to get myself through, if I brush up against a man's bare chest, currently there's no harm no foul.  Women would need to be prepared to be fine with situations like this occurring in a "free nipple" society.

It would also work the other way round. I don't want to be touched at my chest either.

48 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

I don't object to anyone accidentally seeing boobs, I only obejct to staring.

20 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

But do you recognize that if a man tried to claim "sexual assault" because someone touched his chest when moving through a crowd,

Accidentally? In this case I dot see an issue regardless of the person's sex/gender.

1 hour ago, CaptainYesterday said:

All I'm saying is that things should be equal.  What, possibly, could you be objecting to?  If you want a woman's bare chest to be considered the same as a man's bare chest, then it needs to be equal in all regards. 

Regardless of gender, people who have been victims of sexual harrassment and assault should not be blamed for it and it should not be a mitigating circumstances.

If I'm making my way through a crowd at a beach and I use my arm as sort of a wedge to get myself through, if I brush up against a man's bare chest, currently there's no harm no foul.  Women would need to be prepared to be fine with situations like this occurring in a "free nipple" society.

If I am making my way through a crowd, I say "excuse me please" and it works fine for me, I don't want any stranger touching me and I don't want to touch any stranger.

@Planet Ace Nevermind ~ :cake:

• 1 year later...

Personally now that I have boobs I would not want to out in public shirtless and I don't think very many women would either, its just our culture. maybe 50-100 years from now could be wear it would be totally accepted to just walk around shirtless but by and large now very few places accept it and fewer people take advantage of it. Now I am mindful that vacationing in the tropic islands is a different set of circumstances.  Two beach towns near by that are rated very high on family beach areas, one has an large and active gay culture the other is a big resort town again both highly rated as family friendly resorts had the issue of topless bathers come. one was cis woman on a mission to be able to go to said beach topless the other was TG individuals going topless. both lost the issues.

Reasons: MONEY both receive $100s millions each summer from tourists / family visiting and the idea or stigma that topless would be allowed might very well put a dent in the coffers of business owners so the movement was shot down. While there are beaches that cater to being topless and all not many other places would want to entertain the risk of turning off thousands of families who what to go AND SPEND MONEY at family resorts   

I just say let property rights do their thing. If a business owner is fine with their customers being completely naked then fine. If a store owner wants to have a “no shirt no service” policy then that’s fine too.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, swirl_of_blue said:

I think there should be the same standards regardless of gender. Bodies are just bodies, and if anything besides genitals is viewed as sexual it is because society has made it so. Fortunately I live in a country where nudity isn't seen as necessarily sexual (probably because we see each other in sauna all the time), but even here women are expected to keep their chests covered in public. Personally I don't care what people wear (or don't wear. I wouldn't want to go topless mainly because my breasts are way too heavy for me to be comfortable and I don't particularly like the way I look without clothes. Also, it's way too cold here most of the time to be naked, even in the summer.

Same here. 

But seriously. Why are gender roles so important? I feel like that women are looked more down upon in the United States. I’m not like saying they treat women bad, harasses them or discriminate them or looked down upon(compared to those countries where women are more discriminated). But when it comes to showing their bodies and see how natural it is, they think it’s too offensive. Like come on the women’s body is a natural gift from god. Women’s body are as equal as men’s. I don’t understand prudish people The country where i live aren’t so prudish when it comes to the female body and male body. But like @swirl_of_blue said women should still wear clothes on and not show their breasts. Personally i would never show my breasts in the public, and wouldn’t wear short skirts and short T shirts. I sometimes wish i didn’t have breast. It annoys me why gender roles are so serious, but ya know what life is too short to be mad about things you can’t do anything about. I’m just glad that i can explore my own gender identities and not caring about what people say. 

PS: And in the end who cares about it anyway. Every country has their own things to deal with like i always say to myself.

On 10/11/2017 at 4:24 PM, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

...Women's breasts actually serve a purpose (to feed babies)...

This is why a female's breast is considered sexual while a strong muscle man is just visually appealing (not sexual). Due to our very human nature and survival instincts, men are more sexually attracted toward women with bigger breasts because that means that their offspring will be healthy and have a large supply of breast milk.. It's a big sexual thing simply due to that survival desire to product strong offspring and continue a strong family.

Now, obviously we have gone a very very long way from these base instincts but they are still there and some people do act on these urges even to this day, which is why it is recommended for women to be dressed more than men... Not much a normal person can do. Just like how any animal will always react the same way toward the same thing due to their own base survival instinct, even when trained as a proper pet. After-all, we humans are still imperfect animals and are prone to what has been programmed into our minds and DNA.

Though, for me personally, I really don't care either way. I just want to explain the reasoning behind the decision of keeping a female's breasts hidden while a male's chest isn't... There's really nothing special about a male's body when it comes to long term family survival except for basic security.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, Groobly said:

even a woman breast feeding her baby in public can draw the ire of the people around her.

I really don't see why that offends people, but I do know some people get offended. If you get offended, don't look. Look at something else. A woman should be able to breastfeed in public, it's natural. 

I personally feel offended when some girls wear sheet leggings that you can even see their thongs clearly. I just look away and the problem is gone!!

11 hours ago, Jusey1 said:

This is why a female's breast is considered sexual while a strong muscle man is just visually appealing (not sexual). Due to our very human nature and survival instincts, men are more sexually attracted toward women with bigger breasts because that means that their offspring will be healthy and have a large supply of breast milk.. It's a big sexual thing simply due to that survival desire to product strong offspring and continue a strong family.

Now, obviously we have gone a very very long way from these base instincts but they are still there and some people do act on these urges even to this day, which is why it is recommended for women to be dressed more than men... Not much a normal person can do. Just like how any animal will always react the same way toward the same thing due to their own base survival instinct, even when trained as a proper pet. After-all, we humans are still imperfect animals and are prone to what has been programmed into our minds and DNA.

Though, for me personally, I really don't care either way. I just want to explain the reasoning behind the decision of keeping a female's breasts hidden while a male's chest isn't... There's really nothing special about a male's body when it comes to long term family survival except for basic security.

I still disagree. I think I went to a lot of effort in another post in this thread to explain how in cultures where breasts are out all the time, they're not lusted after the way they are in ours.

When they're out all the time, they're viewed as no differently thighs or whatever.

Sure some people will still be attracted to them (people are still attracted to feet, legs, faces, shoulders, all parts that can still be seen depending on the person doing the viewing) but not in the taboo way they are to breasts at the moment. Like they're dirty and naughty and sometimes maybe even 'rape-inducing' (which is all just a product of how secret they are in our society, nothing to do with the breasts themselves).

Breasts of any size can feed a baby, and yes the curvier a woman is the stronger the indication that she's healthy for primitive humans, but in cultures where breasts are out all the time they aren't sexualized the way they are in our cultures, they're just seen as another part of a person's body (regardless of shape or size) :)

I'm on my phone so can't post images, but just Google pics or 'Korubo or dslala' tribe, as one of many examples. The women all have their boobs out, the men have their penises out, and no one cares. No one is pointing and giggling at each other's nakedness, the men aren't all gawping at the ladies breasts. They just don't care. The kids don't even notice that there are boobs and penises all around them like they would in our culture, lol.

It's only the way our society/culture sees breasts that makes them taboo. Kids are raised to be disgusted by them and to know they should be hidden, so naturally they'll get a fascination with them as they grow up (or go the opposite way and learn to become horrified by them). If they were just out like other more 'commonly seen' body parts, breasts wouldn't be viewed any differently than thighs though.

As a culture, we are just very prudish when it comes to aspects of the human body. That's all.  :)

(quick bit of Googling on my phone: I can paste words and links but not images)

So I was looking for a translated quote of a tribal man explaining what attracts them (because it's true in documentaries and photos you never see the men constantly staring at all the naked breasts around them) and here's one after a few moments of Googling:

"Moving around naked or half-naked is our culture and we don’t care what people say about us,” the Maiunguwa said. “We are comfortable that way because we find it normal. What attracts men is not nudity. Our men are attracted by how women plait their hair, good manners and the tattoos the young ladies have. Western civilisation is another man’s culture. Why must we embrace it, leaving our own that was handed over to us by our forefathers?”

That's just one example found very quickly on Google. There would be better clips from documentaries etc I just don't have time to search right now sorry. 

But yeah, it's the way our society sees breasts that makes them taboo, not the other way around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pulse.ng/bi/lifestyle/meet-the-naked-tribes-of-nigeria-where-people-wear-leaves-and-little-to-nothing/w3ttqxv.amp (don't click if you don't want to see nudity. Also there are probably much better articles out there, and I don't agree  entirely with it because there are naked tribes in places outside of Africa, ie the Amazon as one example. But that's the best I could given that I'm on my phone and in a hurry.)

On 11/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, Jusey1 said:

while a strong muscle man is just visually appealing (not sexual).

Tell that to all the women and gay guys who swoon/get hot and bothered over male chests -- there are lots of them!

On 11/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, Pan Ficto. (on hiatus?) said:

but in cultures where breasts are out all the time they aren't sexualized the way they are in our cultures,

And some cultures don't necessarily sexualize breasts even if they are not out all the time.  Japanese cover up as much as we do, but historically it was the nape of a woman's neck that was erotic, not cleavage or large breasts (in fact, the breasts were wrapped to make them smaller).

Everything depends on the time, place, culture, and the individual.

Strictly speaking. It's friggen HOT here. I have health issues aggravated by the heat, so the fact that it's so hot here can and does seriously effect my health. Guys, they walk in the sun. It's hot. No one is arguing it's not hot. It's triple digits, humidity is at 100%, full sun no clouds. They go out in their shorts and T-shirt. They are sweating profusely because it's hot. They take off their shirt. They feel so much better. Now I go outside. I wear my shorts and a T-shirt. I'm sweating profusely. I can't just take off my shirt. That's the thing about the free the nipple. It's not just about the nipple. If I go out in a tube-top and shorts and I'm assaulted, people say I was "asking for it". Even if I'm just trying to cool down and NOT die from dehydration of over-heating because I need to walk to the store real quick. A guy goes out in just shorts. No one bats an eye.

I just wanna cool down, man. It's too hot outside. Why is it okay for guys to have 99% of their skin exposed but not chicks. :( 

Archived