This may explain why asexuals have sex

alibali

2 minutes ago, m4rble said:

I think one important difference between sex and white water rafting is that sex is more accessible to most people if they're in a romantic relationship with a sexual person. It's a lot easier to go home and fuck than it is to book a rafting guide. 

I sense a gap in the market. UberRaft.

1 minute ago, vega57 said:

^^ THIS^^

I also agree. 

Sources, please. And also for the medical profession brainwashing people into liking sex.

Those are bits of popular journalism citing studies. Can you explain how the studies are flawed so we shouldn't give the results any credence?

37 minutes ago, m4rble said:

1) Well, I lot of people have foot fetishes. 

2) If you don't have a foot fetish why would you bother to take your socks off for sex?

Cause leaving just socks on when you're otherwise totally naked looks silly and feels silly and ruins the mood. :lol:

Besides, socks make my feet itchy. <_<

1 minute ago, Serran said:

leaving just socks on when you're otherwise totally naked looks silly

It looks awesome. 8)

I think it would take away from the moment. Either the socks are distracting the gazer from the genitals or the genitals are distracting the gazer from the socks. 

1 minute ago, Snao Çoñé said:

I think it would take away from the moment. Either the socks are distracting the gazer from the genitals or the genitals are distracting the gazer from the socks. 

Plus, itchy feet would make me care more about scratching that itch than any other. Just totally not doing it for me. 

2 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

True, I wouldn't want genitals to take the attention off of my beautiful socks. 

I just thought of a new superhero.

Sockman, saving the world while wearing nothing but a pair of socks. 

Asexuals can choose to have sex, if the positive aspects are greater than the negative. 

I migth choose not to go "white water river rafting" again, since part of the fun was only fun since I survived and got through without getting seriously hurt. 

Sex is selling, since it is desirable. If we, most common people, didnt somehow enjoy good sex, then it would sell didly squat nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Those are bits of popular journalism citing studies.

Journalism?  As in media?

Can you explain how the studies are flawed so we shouldn't give the results any credence?

Because the studies don't give the cons along with any pro's.  It's like the cons are either ignored or downplayed. 

In other words, the studies don't tell the WHOLE truth.  Only part of it, and I think it's misleading. 

15 minutes ago, m4rble said:

I just thought of a new superhero.

Sockman, saving the world while wearing nothing but a pair of socks. 

*more tears*

O.

M.

G.

I'm gettin' a visual............:lol:

5 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

The studies don't, or the journalism?

Mostly the journalism.  Sex is glorified in our culture, and the pitfalls are often minimized. 

ETA:  Oops.  I hit 'send' by mistake before I finished.  My bad.

What negatives do they miss?

UTI's

STI's

STD's, some of them incurable and literally deadly

PItfalls of birth control (such as some pretty serious medical emergencies using The Pill, for example)

Unwanted pregnancy

Not to mention some of the emotional issues that can be involved. 

So basically you're objecting to journalism saying something you disagree with.

Which is different to the medical profession brainwashing people into thinking they like sex.

2 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Also, people in just socks look comical.

What about if the socks don't have feet, is that still comical? :P Example:

29pevx1.jpg

(Imagine those but without the clothes, haha!)

1 hour ago, Serran said:

Plus, itchy feet would make me care more about scratching that itch than any other. Just totally not doing it for me. 

That's what footless socks (more commonly known as leg warmers) are for :D

1 hour ago, Telecaster68 said:

So basically you're objecting to journalism saying something you disagree with.

No.  I'm objecting to one-sided journalism.  Like I said, tell the WHOLE story, and stop trying to 'sell' it like's it's a used car. 

1 hour ago, FictoVore. said:

29pevx1.jpg

Socks without feet are sort of missing the point. It's like those gloves without fingers, you can text with them but they do a very poor job of keeping your hands warm. I need warmth in my extremities. I don't think socks are really itchy unless they're made of wool, wool anything is itchy. I really do like my socks, they're long and colorful, and usually mismatched. 

Anyone who has seen super Carlin brothers knows the phrase, "these socks are amazing" 

5 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Socks without feet are sort of missing the point. It's like those gloves without fingers, you can text with them but they do a very poor job of keeping your hands warm. I need warmth in my extremities. I don't think socks are really itchy unless they're made of wool, wool anything is itchy. I really do like my socks, they're long and colorful, and usually mismatched. 

Anyone who has seen super Carlin brothers knows the phrase, "these socks are amazing" 

Naaah socks without feet are the best because - when one can finally get a partner and keep them lol - he or she can give you foot massages without you having to take your socks off.. YUSSSSS. Now I just need to find a partner... with a foot massaging fetish...

:P

Just now, FictoVore. said:

Naaah socks without feet are the best because - when one can finally get a partner and keep them lol - he or she can give you foot massages without you having to take your socks off.. YUSSSSS. Now I just need to find a partner... with a foot massaging fetish...

:P

That sounds nice, but my feet would probably get so cold that nobody would want to touch them if I did that. :P My hands get cold quite a bit and my brothers complain a lot when I touch them with my ice powers. 

35 minutes ago, m4rble said:

That sounds nice, but my feet would probably get so cold that nobody would want to touch them if I did that. :P My hands get cold quite a bit and my brothers complain a lot when I touch them with my ice powers. 

Of course, it doesn't help that my roommates don't know when to turn the air conditioning off so I'm paying to freeze myself. 

(Spoiler contains off-topic musings about socks and secks...)

Spoiler

I guess I'm going to have to dissent from the majority here and say that I do enjoy the look of some socks and stockings, especially long ones. I don't even have a foot fetish - I just find knee-high and thigh-high socks aesthetically appealing on some builds. I think a good pair of socks can accentuate the shape and length of a person's legs, so... I would probably not require them to be removed during sex. :P

Back on topic...

I think a lot of people would say that poorly thought-out pop psych articles don't reflect their experiences about sex, romance, or even just life in general. Unfortunately, a lot of scientific journalism - even if it references a study - is designed to get as many clicks and social media shares as possible, not to be technically accurate. News articles often don't reflect the content or conclusions of the actual articles they claim to cover, but few non-academics have the background to understand the original article. Even if the science itself is methodologically sound, the public interpretation of it might not be. This can perpetuate a lot of misunderstandings.

Anyway, I really wouldn't rely on the media to provide an accurate perception of how sexual people actually feel and act in their relationships. And, rather than being "brainwashed" by the media, I think sexual people can often recognize that some of the media portrayals are exaggerated, embellished, or even just plain wrong. Some of us instinctively roll our eyes at any article claiming to "revitalize your sex life" because we know that those things are usually bullshit. I can't speak for everyone, but nowadays, I just automatically filter that stuff out. I could imagine that maybe some asexuals have a harder time doing so, though, because it all seems so foreign from an ace perspective. Some might get the impression that it implies some hypersexual reality that very few sexual people are actually living.

I don't really see what the big deal with socks are; unless some sort of foot fetish or something is at play, I wouldn't really think most people would be paying any significant attention to the feet during typical sexual encounters.  (The attention is usually drawn to areas higher up...)

Now I just need to find a partner... with a foot massaging fetish...

I wouldn't call it a fetish (that carries a sexual connotation to me), but I like giving massages :D

I don't usually like receiving them though.  They're usually too rough, and I'm admittedly fragile.

The intent of the article isn't to sell sex. Sex is selling the article, to get clicks and advertising income. If someone isn't already interested in sex, why would they read it anyway?

And anyway, persuasion doesn't work like that. People fit what they read into their existing world view, and tend to reject what doesn't fit it. Again, there's a lot of research on this. Vega is doing exactly this, right now. 

7 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

29pevx1.jpg

Leg warmers are entirely different... 

#childoftheeighties

35 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Leg warmers are entirely different... 

#childoftheeighties

Would socks like that still look cool to you if they had feet on the bottom, making them real socks instead of leg warmers? haha. I personally think socks that end above the thigh look really nice, regardless of whether the person is clothed or nekked. It's definitely hard to look cool in below the knee socks though :P

3 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I don't really see what the big deal with socks are; unless some sort of foot fetish or something is at play, I wouldn't really think most people would be paying any significant attention to the feet during typical sexual encounters.  (The attention is usually drawn to areas higher up...)

I wouldn't call it a fetish (that carries a sexual connotation to me), but I like giving massages :D

I don't usually like receiving them though.  They're usually too rough, and I'm admittedly fragile.

My ideal partner is someone who enjoys giving foot massages to the extent of it being a bit of a fetish for them, but has no interest in receiving them (because honestly I'm just too lazy to give them haha ) If the other person is legitimately getting off on giving them then I won't feel bad about my laziness because I'll have done my job just by having feet :P 

..This may be slightly off topic heh, oops!

13 hours ago, Snao Çoñé said:

There is a message out there that sex, and a persistent love of sex, is necessary for health.

Other side of the pond here, so there might be cultural differences - but I can't recall hearing that it's "necessary". "Beneficial", yes, you'll find that one every so often; but "necessary"...? *scratches head*

In other news, feet are yucky :ph34r:

Archived