What animal is in your life and gives you comfort?

I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier... I live on a farm with a lot of animals, but the ones who are really mine are my 19 year old 3-legged rat terrier Eileen, my 2 year old rat Snoopy, and my spotted salamander whose age I don't know since I got her out of our yard, Kel'Thuzad (KT for short). My wife has a ferret George and his sister Fred (Winnifred) Weasley, and her pet goat Vincent van Goat. 

We also have a beagle, 3 cats, 3 mice, and 2 guinea pigs that live in the house. Outside there are 3 ducks, 17 chickens, a sheep, 7 horses, and a number of cows I lose track of since they just had calves... I think 10 or so.

My little dog is my comfort animal. She doesn't like me going anywhere without her and is my little shadow wherever I go.

2i0x0ci.jpg

I have two cats now. The same black cat from my earlier post and now I also have a tuxedo kitten. ^_^

I have had interactions with these animals today and they all gave me some level of comfort.

Mother rock chuck and her two offspring

Mother mule deer and her two yearling twin offspring

Hummingbirds, loving the feeders

Echo hawks, loving the bugs

Uinta ground squirrils

My german shepherd dog

A bird that made a call like a dog whistle and made the dog bark at 5:30 AM.

• 2 weeks later...

My 55 pound lap dog, Link, is my companion and pain-in-the-rear housemate. He also is my house alarm/defense system and garbage disposal. He will courageously defend me from any danger with two caveats: he is afraid of long sticks (like brooms) and he becomes instant buddies with anyone holding a ball.

Also, @Spotastic, I think I see a WoW fan there in your salamander!

--Heather

3 cats; two littermate siblings (11 years old) and a black cat that just turned 2 years old.  I share them with my SO but if he goes they stay.  :)

RakshaTheCat

Neighbor's cat who took over house where I live 😈

Here, she decided I should make myself useful and keep her warm during cold evening.

23j3n7r.png

My black cat has the same shape face and ears, @Marcin.  His nose is just a little longer.  He’s making much the same use of  me now, which is silly because it’s quite warm here.

• 2 weeks later...

My dog. She is a Malamute Great Pyrenees mix. I think she will be ok. She is back from the hospital and sleeping with her hindquarters under this desk. She isn't allowed to sleep in my bed but I think I will sleep on the floor with her tonight. She wants to stay close and so do I. 

On 6/16/2018 at 2:26 PM, Spotastic said:

My little dog is my comfort animal. She doesn't like me going anywhere without her and is my little shadow wherever I go.

Such a sweet pic of Eileen, Spotastic.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:06 AM, Muledeer said:

I still have her turtle collection - there are hundreds of of turtle objects that she collected or were given to her and I have no idea what to do with all of them. 

I would SO love to see this turtle collection! 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Lovely companions all!

Right now , like @Muledeer, I'm taking pleasure from the natural world and all its visitors to my postage stamp garden. Hedgehogs, birds, the odd (very odd in some cases ) cat, next doors chihuahuas.....😁

I managed to squeeze a picture of my dog into my profile pic.

5 hours ago, froglady said:

Pretty!

How is your dog doing?

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

How is your dog doing?

She is kind of withdrawn and there is necrosis so the stitches tear out. Still, there is healing under the mess. We are learning to play again. She is learning to use the cone of shame like a catchers mitt and like a snow plow. My brother sent a small soft toy that doesn't cause damage to the wound on her muzzle. She like me to put my face in the cone so we can be close like that and lie down nose to nose.

Sounds like her recovery is a long, slow process.  I’m glad she is making progress and finding ways to play.  I’m also glad she has you and your brother around to be sweet to her.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, froglady said:

what a nice friendly looking dog.  Too bad she was attacked by your neighbors dog.  I hope she recovers well. 

shoshi coast

I am new! I have a sweet old dog who I call "the man of the house" since I separated from my ex-husband. :)

Since discovering my asexuality and realizing that I don't want to pursue another sexual/romantic relationship, I've been thinking so much about what I do want the rest of my life to look like in terms of companionship. Some days I think I'd like to have a platonic life partner or live in a small intentional community, other days I think I'd like to live with a whole pack of sweet dogs, or run a small animal rescue/sanctuary!

On 7/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, shoshi coast said:

I think I'd like to live with a whole pack of sweet dogs, or run a small animal rescue/sanctuary!

Exactly!!! I have three dogs,  so I'm on my way to a pack.... 😊

Annies stitches and drain were removed today. 😂 She is ok for real. 

51 minutes ago, froglady said:

Annies stitches and drain were removed today. 😂 She is ok for real. 

Oh, that’s wonderful news!!  I’m so glad for both of you.

I have a Shiba Inu mix and an Australian Cattle Dog, both male and adopted from animal rescues. I'm also currently looking after a puppy of extremely uncertain pedigree on behalf of another animal shelter.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, shoshi coast said:

I am new! I have a sweet old dog who I call "the man of the house" since I separated from my ex-husband. :)

Since discovering my asexuality and realizing that I don't want to pursue another sexual/romantic relationship, I've been thinking so much about what I do want the rest of my life to look like in terms of companionship. Some days I think I'd like to have a platonic life partner or live in a small intentional community, other days I think I'd like to live with a whole pack of sweet dogs, or run a small animal rescue/sanctuary!

This sounds absolutely idyllic.

I have three cats.

One is about six years old, huge ginger tomcat called Jasper. He is grumpy because he is not the sole cat of the house, despite the fact that he never has been (except for a couple of months when my old cat died before we got some more kittens).  He dislikes my younger cats, and beats them up on occasion. He likes to come and snuggle at night in bed, which is usually nice except when it's like hell's furnace as it is at the moment, and then it's rather uncomfortable. He was a rescue kitty, he was dumped in a plastic bag on a street with his brother who got adopted separately before we found him.

My two younger furbabies are Copper (girl) and Bronze (boy) both brown tabbies, tho Bronze is darker but with white patches. They were advertised for private adoption, but were not in good condition so I rescued them. Vet was shocked at their size (he estimated them a couple of weeks younger than I was told), and they were both sick and flea-infested. Much work on de-fleaing the house later, they are now a year old, and though they are still very wary of strangers, they love me and my daughter to bits - Copper adores my daughter in particular, Bronze adores me. I get washed on a daily basis, and given the fact that their little tongues are like sandpaper, it can get a little painful at times. But I wouldn't swap them for the world.

I used to have a golden retriever x white german shepherd called Lily, she was the perfect dog, trained herself, had joint problems so didn't need exercise (I have mobility issues), and the sweetest dog you ever met. Daft as a brush, of course, but so lovely. She developed a degenerative nerve disease and we lost her about four years ago. 

I really want to get another dog (golden retriever), but at the moment it wouldn't be fair to the dog because my health issues don't allow me to exercise it properly. I am working on it though, and if I can get mobile enough to be able to walk a dog, I am so going to get one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes think about adopting a snake, but, given my living setup, I'm not sure that I would be able to take care of one properly.

Fluffy Femme Guy

I have no pets currently. But would love to have at least one cat.
They're not allowed in the apartment I live in, plus I can't afford it right now.

I don't currently have a pet, but grew up with beagles. It always makes my day when I see one when I'm out and about. 

If I'm walking or cycling I'll stop and ask the person what their beagle's name is.

I have 3 crazy, lovable, dogs. They're friendly but they're full on. The early part of their lives they spent on a farm, so they're used to being a little less civilized than the nice dogs I see all the yummy mummy's walking around the beaches and the cafes. Kinda like me actually. Half feral, and not that into people outside my own pack. Suits me fine lol.

They're always with me and they're very protective. Sometimes my anxiety can flare up and having my doggy security team on patrol around the house helps. If someone manages to get through my front door they're going to have to get past an American Pitbull, an Australian Kelpie, and a Mastiff Mix, before they get to me. Good luck with that!

I have a crush on my neighbor's dog : a one year old GSD with a great personality.  I understand he is an avid chewer  and very destructive to his owner's things.  I talk to him whenever we see each other over the fence.  His name is Odin.  He and Elsa (my ten year old GSD) are good friends.

Archived