What animal is in your life and gives you comfort?

Well the bear, Ted, who is my avatar was 40 in January and sits on the bookcase next to my bed 

I have gerbils.

(That kinda sounds like an STI - gerbils) :D

They are bundles of energy, relentless, curious, friendly, they shred documents in no time.

I had a gerbil girl ages ago, who was amazing. I remember that once I was sad and crying, sitting on my couch, while my gerbil was running around me and climbing and doing her usual thing... Suddenly she climbed onto me, straight onto my shoulder and started licking my cheek like she was trying to comfort me. Perhaps she just liked salty tears ;) but that cheered me up in no time. Such a sweetie. 

I also have an old guinea pig, who's probably needing antibiotics/treatments for life just to keep her alive and she's a lovely little friend too. Her companion died suddenly, earlier this year :(   

1 hour ago, InariYana said:

I have gerbils.

(That kinda sounds like an STI - gerbils) :D

Funny!

23 hours ago, InariYana said:

I have gerbils...

Suddenly she climbed onto me, straight onto my shoulder and started licking my cheek like she was trying to comfort me. Perhaps she just liked salty tears ;) but that cheered me up in no time. Such a sweetie. 

Awww. I had a couple of gerbils when I was a kid. The first one was called Checkers, and the second Fudge. I believe that animals of all sizes sense something is amiss, and it does not matter if she liked the tears, the fact that she made you feel better counts.

Thanks for sharing!

I had dogs growing up, and a cat right up until I moved into my house with friends who are allergic to them. I love our big family, but I miss having animals a lot. If the chance ever presents itself, I’d be eager to get a Golden Retriever or Lab mix. I know my wife would prefer a cat, but I don’t know if I want another after Kate.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

OOh! My daughter has Degus, just like Gerbils and they are such cheerful little people , I always enjoy spending my time with them (as well as with my daughter I may add..)

@chandrakirti, your daughter's degus :wub::wub:

On 10/8/2017 at 11:10 PM, lazy1 said:

I have 2 dogs,1 tortoise, a box turtle and 5 red earred ssliders  ( water turtles) . I love animals. 

My mom kept a pet desert tortoise for about 40 years.  It outlived her.  It hibernated all winter in a box in the basement.  I still have her turtle collection - there are hundreds of of turtle objects that she collected or were given to her and I have no idea what to do with all of them. 

RiseOfCourage

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Birdie5/media/IMG_20170923_133556424-01_zpseevqrwxe.jpeg.html?filters[user]=146890263&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Birdie5/media/IMG_20170916_132006_zpsppm08y6m.jpg.html?filters[user]=146890263&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Monty, a half-naked rescue parrot who's recovering from an abusive past, is a sensitive and amazingly wonderful being. (Will never understand those who abuse other living things:-(

The little guy in the hand is Birdy, a conure, the clown of our feathery family.

Parrots are awesome in their intelligence and complexity. They're goofy, loud, and cuddly as heck.

colossalpenguins

I've recently acquired a pair of guinea pigs who are ridiculous scaredy cats and totally adorable. They're used to being incessantly pestered by small children so they're pretty nervous about being picked up right now but we're working on it. They're already far more comfortable with me presence than they were just a week ago and my voice no longer sends them running for cover!

On 10/6/2017 at 0:00 PM, The Drafting Ninja said:

I have two felines of the male gender.  Porthos is 2 years old  and Pippin is 5 months old.

I also have a 29 year old teddy bear!

Those are spectacularly nerdy names!

Our house has 3 dogs.

There are 2 beagles. One is a red & white, named Sam, and he's just turning 7. He's an absolute sweetheart and snuggles in any crevice he can find, even if it's just between you and a wall. The other is a lemon & white, named Sally, and my parents got her almost 10 years ago now because of how badly I wanted a dog (so she feels like mine). Sam likes to lay his head on her when they're sleeping (he always follows her around). We also have a 3-year-old weimaraner named Heidi. She is exactly like any other weimaraner-fast, aloof, clumsy, and friendly towards people.

Then we have 3 cats.

One is probably about 8, his name is Lance and he looks like a mix between a maine coon and a tabby, he's fairly large but not enormous. Lance is outside half of the time and an extremely accomplished hunter of rats. We have 2 other cats who are both 5 years old. Ting is half siamese and half tabby (lynx point), he's weird as heck but really sweet and social. Theta is scared of everything but is possibly the sweetest (and definitely the most beautiful) animal in the house, she looks like a Siberian and stays under my mom's bed most of the time. 

Just last Thursday my beagle Sam was having a seizure because he has epilepsy, and Heidi had an instinctual response to try and put him out of his suffering (according to the vet) by attacking him :( He's ok but he has a lot of stitches around his neck, we're going to have him live with one of my sisters (the one who's obsessed with him) once he's recovered. We're heartbroken, he's such a gentle little guy.

I lost my piggie yesterday... antibiotics and syringe feeding didn't help much. Vet was suspecting heart failure on top of infection. She was honestly the sweetest guinea pig I've ever met. 

So now it's just me, my daughter and 2 noisy, bouncy gerbil girls.  

I have 2 kitties I adopted from my vet (cat only vet).  They sent Lucy to several homes over 5 years and she kept coming back for various reasons.  She has her furever home now.  She's not very interactive and would bite if you tried to pet her so I can see why she kept getting returned.  After a year of giving her space and respecting her boundaries, she now asks for pets :D  Mr Orange (yes, he's an orange tabby cat) suffered head trauma and is blind with 1 eye.  He had a broken jaw as well and had to be tube fed.  Once he was fixed up, I decided to adopt him.  It's amazing how well he gets around even though he can't see.  You'd never know he was blind!  He even plays with toys by using sound.  He and Lucy were kind of friends when their time overlapped at the vet.  So glad I have the 2 of them as they provide good company.  They aren't best friends, but Lucy will groom Mr Orange when the fancy strikes. 

My avatar is a former backyard rescue Picasso that passed away almost 2 years now.  

On 16/10/2017 at 7:01 AM, TopHatCat said:

Just last Thursday my beagle Sam was having a seizure because he has epilepsy, and Heidi had an instinctual response to try and put him out of his suffering (according to the vet) by attacking him :( He's ok but he has a lot of stitches around his neck, we're going to have him live with one of my sisters (the one who's obsessed with him) once he's recovered. We're heartbroken, he's such a gentle little guy.

Oh no about the seizure, but I am glad Sam has a place to go...even if it is difficult for you. I wish you well through the adjustment. 

19 hours ago, InariYana said:

I lost my piggie yesterday... antibiotics and syringe feeding didn't help much. Vet was suspecting heart failure on top of infection. She was honestly the sweetest guinea pig I've ever met. 

So now it's just me, my daughter and 2 noisy, bouncy gerbil girls.  

My heart goes out to you. Even though you know these souls sometimes only stay for a short time, it is always sad when they go. I have two older cats, both around 17, who seem quite healthy but I know it is coming and these two will break my heart when they go. Thinking of you but I am glad you have the gerbils to help you.

About dogs, but holds true for all our furkids (whatever species)

''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right? Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''-Shane (SIX years old)

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

I have two poodles. A black toy poodle called Ellie and a white miniature poodle called Belle. I would love to have a hedgehog as well they are SO cute and I smile just thinking about their cute little faces. :wub:

Pets are my family! At the moment I only have a Basenji girl, Maya, and a fluffy overweight gray and white long haired kitty, Amber. And the outside animals, 4 horses and 12 chickens. At one point in my life when my kids were young we had 4 Labs, 3 cats, 4 ferrets, and 6 horses. The ferrets were a hoot!

I currently have 2 cats. One's Natasha or Tasha, and the other is Rosie. Tasha is Turkish Van, and has polydactyl feet. She sometimes barks like a dog, and loves water. Her head and neck are too small for a collar. Her long fur feels silky. (Actually has one layer instead of two.) She's about 11 years old.

Rosie is a tortoiseshell tabby. She definitely has tortitude. Very opinionated, intelligent, vocal, muscular, tough, and loving. She's extremely attached to me. (The other one's attached to someone else.) Always follows me, gets jealous if anyone else gets attention from me (this includes people), tries to get me to eat more often (I have a gut issue and sometimes don't feel hunger or am too nauseous to eat), sleeps on my bed with me, acts like she's my body guard, and more. Feels like it's partly annoying, partly nice, partly creepy, and partly like she's a therapy cat. She's about 9.

Neither of them get along. They're constantly fighting. It's mainly because Rosie has claws, and is very territorial. 

I've always had pets around me. 2 cats when I was born, a beagle when I was about 14, another cat a year later, (after the beagle passed away) Tasha, and Rosie. They're like family to me.

My avatar pic is of Valentino, the love of my life.  He is not just a pretty face though.  I have epilepsy and he knows when I am going to have a seizure before I do and gives me a couple of minutes "heads up" that I wouldn't otherwise have.  Having him has allowed me to be much more independent as I have worked on getting the seizure disorder under control.  Things are pretty well set now and I rarely have them anymore so Valentino is sort of semi-retired but he still gets to go to restaurants and on planes with me.

11 hours ago, SilverFlower said:

My avatar pic is of Valentino, the love of my life.  He is not just a pretty face though.  I have epilepsy and he knows when I am going to have a seizure before I do and gives me a couple of minutes "heads up" that I wouldn't otherwise have.  Having him has allowed me to be much more independent as I have worked on getting the seizure disorder under control.  Things are pretty well set now and I rarely have them anymore so Valentino is sort of semi-retired but he still gets to go to restaurants and on planes with me.

I often think of my little cat, Tio, as the love of my life, although he does not have a job like Valentino ;). Thanks for sharing, it warms my heart every time I hear such healing stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Dog, hamster, hedgehog, and fish 🐠 

• 7 months later...

sorry the picture is so big....

still trying to figure out how to post pictures 🙂 

This is Doctor Toast (aka Kiko)

Toast was abandoned at an apartment complex with their pet carrier.  A kind man took Toast in, but couldnt keep them cause his spouse didnt like cats.  😞 

The man brought Toast to us & Toast has been with us since December 2016.

Toast doesnt like to be held, but likes to head butt & cuddle, on their terms only.  Also Toast loves to lick plastic & hang out in the bathroom.

Toast is good for pets when someone needs something furry to pet.

Toast weighs 20lbs, & this is after we put it on a diet.  🙂

I am still not able to pick them up since i lost strength after my surgery.

35330094_10215034285544841_5331668982736

Cant believe i havent posted in this thread, i usually cant help mentioning my muffin where ever pets are mentioned

Yesterday morning he was acting a bit rough so i thought better go inside fence and let him get some steam off, also remembered the camera so thought id try filming it.

And sorry if im continuing a necroed thread, im not quite sure how old threads are considered too old for replies on this site

"Cat" is adorable!!!! And looks like she is a perfect size.

I have two male puppies I adore and can't love on enough. One is a MinPin/Other--Peanut--who's a little whiny butt and sassy, about 8 years old. The other by my name is Loki. He's a full-blooded lab/boxer mix and a big baby who's afraid of everything...lol  He love my kids more than me. I think he just puts up with me because he knows I'll feed him and let him out every time. He is four years old in October on my birthday :D  He has learned from Peanut how to nudge doors open when they're not completely shut. They bring me a lot of comfort and company. They don't stress me like humans tend to.

Archived