Homoromantic guys chat

chairdesklamp

Yeah, that would be awkward, giving every guy a touch test :) 

Yeah, it's designed with a specific type of body that only some young and able-bodied people of certain ethnicities and economic backgrounds have. And add to that that these days, you only have a few big producers left who all copy each other because the US is really a risk-averse market, and you just end up with a choice of five pairs of pants that are essentially the same thing with different tags. 

(US companies sell a way more diverse portfolio of products in other countries, just ask the snack industry. But domestically, there is, say, one type of Kit-Kat, regular or Diet Pepsi. Domestic portfolios are very limited and homogenous. I think it's really only markets mostly dominated by overseas companies, like smartphones, that have any kind of real diversity of available goods left)

Yeah, I've just gotten a really cold and apathetic welcome on this site. I had a few pleasant responses on a "remember when" type thread, and 2 nice PM conversations, but other than that, it's been a little harassment and put-downs (but the mod I called was nice and helped) and mostly people talking past me as if I didn't post. 

• Like 1
Slice of Ace
1 hour ago, chairdesklamp said:

Yeah, I've just gotten a really cold and apathetic welcome on this site. I had a few pleasant responses on a "remember when" type thread, and 2 nice PM conversations, but other than that, it's been a little harassment and put-downs (but the mod I called was nice and helped) and mostly people talking past me as if I didn't post. 

I'm really sorry to hear that... Unfortunately, you can't guarantee that forums are the nicest places to be all of the time. After all, there are thousands of individuals here from all over the world with different reasons for being here. In general, I've experienced AVEN to be one of the nicest and most accepting places on the internet and I hope your experience gets better over time. 

1 hour ago, chairdesklamp said:

Yeah, it's designed with a specific type of body that only some young and able-bodied people of certain ethnicities and economic backgrounds have. And add to that that these days, you only have a few big producers left who all copy each other because the US is really a risk-averse market, and you just end up with a choice of five pairs of pants that are essentially the same thing with different tags. 

I can't really compare because I've never been to America, but I was looking for a short-sleeved plain green shirt the other day and I found nothing because they ONLY sell blue, pink and white->black shirts! That and men's sections are a tenth of the size of women's. Not much choice at all...

• Like 1
GeekyGamerZack

@chairdesklamp Welcome! 😊

6 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

I have fallen in love four four times in my life, two turned out to be because of illusions I had about the person. I have one very big and specific requirement. One thing that can make me fall in love with a person. Considering what it is, it's horrifying and appalling that it's so rare, but considering there's just this one thing, just one way, not entirely sure I'm wholly alloromantic. I do know that at this point, it would need to be another man, though, so there's that. I have a thread questioning if that's still alloromanticism, since I really just learned what sexual attraction truly is supposed to be last week, but I only got one reply, and the person was only able to tell me that desperately fearing being alone isn't hyperromanticism, but the rest, well, no one really seems to answer much of what I say. No one really even welcomed me (New this week). Almost makes me wonder why I'm still posting. 

I mainly stick to this thread and a few others, so I don't have much of an excuse for not welcoming you beforehand. The important thing is you're here now, so I'm able to say "Hi!" 🙂

To add to the fashion conversation if anyone bothers to read something I say, fashion is hard. I looked great in bellbottoms back when, before a gut and hair loss/migration, but I have no idea what to wear now. I just wear high-waisted dungarees and button-downs. My dad wore dungarees, polos, and pullovers in the winter (but I no longer live in a place with a winter), and yeah, I just dress like him. It's a better look than hanging-out belly and gym clothes five sizes to big or this new trend of ripped clothes that I remember us inner-city kids, the poorer ones being picked on back when, so it irks me, and skinny jeans only work for skinny people. I'm not sure what could look better, but I know guys with guts wearing trousers beneath the belly, and it just makes everything look so much worse.

I know the feeling, believe me. What makes it worse is that I'm also ridiculously tall, which makes something as simple as finding a pair of size 15 shoes an absolute chore, limiting my options to a select few. My most recent search gave me a total of 1 options from which to choose. 😝

I just wear my jackets open, but in Los Angeles, the point where it's not too hot to wear a jacket, open still works. It's not like we have blizzards or wind chill. 

I can get away with t-shirt and shorts for most of the year. In mid-late autumn to early-mid spring, I often layer with a zippered hoodie, and on colder days inbetween I upgrade to long trousers and jacket. Dark colours and blue look better on me and create the illusion of slimming me down. Honestly, I'm comfortable with my body, though I'm working to trim my belly for real.

Im sure I could be doing better, but I really just did gain a bunch of weight all at once after a really bad work accident. Even though I eat well (wasn't allowed to by abusive partner at the time, who wanted to fatten me up to have another thing to mock me about) and not the post-90s supersize portions but common-sense portions (for young Americans, dinner plates used to be and still are in much of the world, what you call a "salad plate" now. What you call a dinner plate now is actually a serving plate. This began in the '80s, the era that also gave us Big Mac and Big Gulp)

I've cut down on what I used to eat, and now I can't eat anywhere near as much at once. I also favour more nutritious options, and avoid fast food like generic shooter video games.

I eat well, and may end up walking 9km some days (albeit slowly, on a cane, but still) But it only half came off. Fashion is specifically against overweight people, and I didn't used to be overweight, and since I became so, I've been dressing one way, and it's a stab in the dark anyway. 

Honestly, my style has hardly changed at all since I was in high school. It's what I feel most comfortable wearing, and receding hairline aside, I've barely aged since then.

• Like 1
chairdesklamp

Thank you @Slice of Ace @GeekyGamerZack

Wow, yeah, there IS a lot less men's clothing than women's out there. The idea is women like clothing shopping and put more into what they wear, so we end up with less variety. That would be considered a little ridiculous in the US, though, even if there is only two cuts for men's  trousers here.

Definitely fast food is a no-go, but it's always left me feeling heavy and greasy, so it's pretty easy for me to avoid. 

I'm 5 foot 2, ridiculously short. Opposite side of the same coin. I do fit a 17.5/32 shirt, but they are hard to find. Most times, I roll up my sleeves because they're too long. And it's not easy to find size 8 men's shoes out here. I'm not sure what my inseam is, either, because I have to take up everything. So I definitely feel you.

My style back then (twenty something years ago) was polos and khakis... I guess mine hasn't, either. 

So your winter isn't much colder than an L.A. winter, then. 

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack

No problem. 😊

Definitely fast food is a no-go, but it's always left me feeling heavy and greasy, so it's pretty easy for me to avoid. 

Yep. I can't even take a bite out of a McDonald's cheeseburger without wanting to dry-heave. 🤤

I'm 5 foot 2, ridiculously short. Opposite side of the same coin. I do fit a 17.5/32 shirt, but they are hard to find. Most times, I roll up my sleeves because they're too long. And it's not easy to find size 8 men's shoes out here. I'm not sure what my inseam is, either, because I have to take up everything. So I definitely feel you.

(Pats left side of chest with right fist twice before holding position for a few seconds.)

My style back then (twenty something years ago) was polos and khakis... I guess mine hasn't, either. 

So your winter isn't much colder than an L.A. winter, then. 

I'd say it'd be roughly the same, being in a subtropical zone. When I move back to my old stomping grounds, I can enjoy a much colder winter for months longer than here, though the temperature there yo-yos between warm and cool even in summertime.

• Like 1
chairdesklamp
6 minutes ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

No problem. 😊

Yep. I can't even take a bite out of a McDonald's cheeseburger without wanting to dry-heave. 🤤

(Pats left side of chest with right fist twice before holding position for a few seconds.)

I'd say it'd be roughly the same, being in a subtropical zone. When I move back to my old stomping grounds, I can enjoy a much colder winter for months longer than here, though the temperature there yo-yos between warm and cool even in summertime.

I'm stuck living with an ex that I just couldn't make myself feel for. He said he wanted to be with me because he wanted to use me for money and sex. Yeah.(I have a bad, dangerous habit of trying to make myself be with people I don't love because I'm afraid of dying alone).  But because I wouldn't give him the latter, he actually got me forced out of my apartment I'd had for years. Dilapidated and made me sick, but I could afford it because I was on such an old lease. Morally, he'll let people he cares about get hurt because he only cares about himself. He might have been able to whistleblow and do something to stop Housing Shock, but only cared about his own job. I've gotten COMMITTED for whistleblowing on shelters abusing clients based on race or religion, and lost my career. He's also mousy, hunched over, sagging belly hanging out of his clothes...and the point is that I feel like he is what would happen if you made a McDonald's cheeseburger into a person. 

That's how I feel about McDonald's cheeseburgers :)

Can you tell I can't stand them, either? 

I don't hate all fried things, but the list of what I like fried is short, and prefer fried is only octopus. 

One of the biggest pitfalls of fast food is that they don't drain the grease. All it'd take is to oven-bake the burgers on a rack (potlid over them to keep juicy) and a couple of minutes on paper towels for battered things! 

Subtropical... there's a lot of places that qualify, but I used to live in Florida...

• Like 2
On 4/22/2019 at 5:50 AM, chairdesklamp said:

I have a thread questioning if that's still alloromanticism, since I really just learned what sexual attraction truly is supposed to be last week, but I only got one reply, and the person was only able to tell me that desperately fearing being alone isn't hyperromanticism, but the rest, well, no one really seems to answer much of what I say. No one really even welcomed me (New this week). Almost makes me wonder why I'm still posting.

Hi! I’m sorry that I haven’t noticed any of your posts until now: I’ve only been active on this forum for about a fortnight, so I’m still familiarising myself with the set-up, and sometimes life gets in the way (I still have to cook meals, earn money, walk the dog etc). Not that it’s a particularly good excuse, of course.

And I’m sorry that you haven’t been welcomed enthusiastically on this forum. I suspect that most forums occasionally attract overly delicate and sensitive people who are struggling with life in general, which might explain why you have received some put-downs. It's hard not to take it personally, though, and trying to build a meaningful connection with other forum members can be difficult when there are established cliques.

I sometimes think that I don't fit into the asexual community particularly well – I often don’t share the same interests and reference points, while some aces might consider me to be a little too masculine - but I'm trying to be as flexible and open-minded as possible. Everyone on this thread is very friendly, though, so I'm sure that you'll be able to connect with like-minded people.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:50 AM, chairdesklamp said:

To add to the fashion conversation if anyone bothers to read something I say, fashion is hard.

I can see what you mean about fashion, too, and I've always struggled to find a style that suits me. Although I'm pretty trim - I weigh less than ten stone – my broad shoulders occasionally makes clothes shopping a frustrating experience. I’m also self-conscious about wearing graphic T-shirts and I’ve never liked jeans, so I usually stick to plainer and unfashionable stuff that enables me to blend into the background.

Around summer time, for instance, I usually wear plain and striped polo shirts, short-sleeved shirts, chinos, brown shoes and, if it’s a little chilly, either a black cardigan or blue Harrington jacket. Thankfully, though, I’m far too introverted and mild-mannered to pass off as a mod, which seems to be the summer style that I have unwittingly adopted. I normally just stick to checked long-sleeved shirts and plain long-sleeved T-shirts, though, during the autumn and spring months.

And, during the winter season, I usually opt for plain and striped jumpers (almost always worn over long-sleeved shirts, old T-shirts and plain thermal tops), chinos (again!), Chelsea boots and a duffle coat. Yes, I really am this dull in real life! This arguably proves that I have just thrown a bunch of stuff at the wall and not bothered to see if it has stuck, because resembling a character from Dead Poets Society or a member of The Bluetones during the winter months was never my intention.

Still, it’s better than what I was wearing more than a decade ago when my young adult wardrobe included combat trousers, a corduroy jacket, a Puma T-shirt that I got free with a subscription to FourFourTwo, football shirts, a couple of Gola track jackets and a pair of Gola trainers!

• Like 2
chairdesklamp

@antheapOh, I am definitely over ten stone. Some is muscle...but some isn't, too. Probably in the 14-17 st area. 

Yeah, not as cliqueish as local LGBT Centre stuff though. But I see what you mean. 

Polos and chinos was what I wore in high school, and I can't say it's a bad look :)

At least you're not being taken as a mod by actual mods. I imagine that'd be quite awkward. 

I dunno, I don't think being ace really has anything to do with gender expression. I do know that if you're young or hanging around young people (the average age of AVEN seems to be in their 20s) there is kind of a thing going on with masculinity, but I think that's more a generational thing than an ace thing. Just like my mother being vehemently opposed to metal. 

There's nothing wrong or conflicting or any of that between gender expression and sexuality. There are stereotypes, sure, including machoism and "all men are sex robots," but not only is machoism not really necessary for masculinity, it's the same kind of stereotype as "all Asians are submissive." Wholly untrue, and short-sighted to say the least.

So, really, there's nothing wrong with being a masculine ace. I'm considered a bear, I have chops, like taking apart electronics, and will watch some sports (if at least one team I care about is involved) 

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack
3 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

So, really, there's nothing wrong with being a masculine ace. I'm considered a bear, I have chops, like taking apart electronics, and will watch some sports (if at least one team I care about is involved) 

I think of myself as being bear-like in appearance (big build, kind of hairy, intimidates some people at a mere glance), but personality-wise, I'm COMPLETELY different (self-identifying geek, pacifist personality, happy-go-lucky "kid brother" demeanour). 😅

• Like 2
17 hours ago, chairdesklamp said:

@antheapOh, I am definitely over ten stone. Some is muscle...but some isn't, too. Probably in the 14-17 st area. 

Yeah, not as cliqueish as local LGBT Centre stuff though. But I see what you mean. 

Polos and chinos was what I wore in high school, and I can't say it's a bad look :)

At least you're not being taken as a mod by actual mods. I imagine that'd be quite awkward. 

I dunno, I don't think being ace really has anything to do with gender expression. I do know that if you're young or hanging around young people (the average age of AVEN seems to be in their 20s) there is kind of a thing going on with masculinity, but I think that's more a generational thing than an ace thing. Just like my mother being vehemently opposed to metal. 

There's nothing wrong or conflicting or any of that between gender expression and sexuality. There are stereotypes, sure, including machoism and "all men are sex robots," but not only is machoism not really necessary for masculinity, it's the same kind of stereotype as "all Asians are submissive." Wholly untrue, and short-sighted to say the least.

Just to clarify, guys: I meant that internet forums in general, rather than AVEN specifically, can sometimes come across as cliquey, but I can see how my clumsily worded reply might be taken out of context. Also, any observations that I’ve made are just general observations: they haven’t been based on specific members or threads, particularly this one!

But, yes, I completely get what you mean, and I genuinely appreciate your reassurance. A lot of my insecurities have arguably stemmed from internalised homophobia (I’m definitely more self-conscious about my homoromanticism than my asexuality) and toxic masculinity (I was guilty of exaggerating my more masculine traits and downplaying my refined/sensitive side about a decade ago). Being a fairly masculine and sporty asexual guy who, well, likes other guys makes all of this seem complicated and messy.

Younger aces on this forum do seem to place a strong emphasis on geek culture and, as a consequence, the asexual community does intimidate me slightly. I can’t abide fantasy/sci-fi (excluding Futurama) and, apart from the more naturalistic and understated Studio Ghibli films (I’m referring to things like Ocean Waves and Porco Rosso, rather than Howl’s Moving Castle et al), anime tends to rub me up the wrong way.

Playing video games every so often is fun but, as I don’t have the ability nor inclination to master open world games and RPGs, I normally stick to arcade-type titles (stuff like Ridge Racer and Virtua Tennis), Pro Evolution Soccer, Wii Chess and, occasionally, linear action games like Red Steel. I get the feeling that other franchises, especially Final Fantasy and Zelda, are more commonly referenced between aces, though. I have some nerdish tendencies but, while I’m more than happy to talk about some of that stuff (such as books and video games) at length, potentially feeling alienated and disconnected from the asexual community has been a concern.

I enjoy moorland walks, tennis, world cinema, cooking curries (I’m not a big fan of cake, apart from fruitcake and parkin), playing five-a-side football, listening to bands like Teenage Fanclub, and reading authors like Ernest Hemingway and Walker Percy, so I don’t fit many asexual tropes in terms of interests. But it’s also clear that these stereotypes exist because asexual culture has been poorly documented and thus hasn't had the chance to evolve beyond stereotypical depictions. It’s just frustrating that I have some unfortunate blind spots and a habit of mixing my interests a little too much.

And, even though I'm normally considerate and polite, this fusion of relatively masculine interests and relatively unmasculine personality traits has led to some awkward interactions with allosexuals. After all, a number of my peers have patronisingly assumed that I don’t have any interests other than football, just because I used to attend the occasional away match and subscribe to a football magazine, or accused me of being difficult because I loathe stuff like Doctor Who and Marvel. Nick Hornby once theorised in Fever Pitch that this sort of perception stems from masculinity having a less abstract and more specific meaning than femininity and, because I usually end up overanalysing these type of situations, being naturally introverted and pensive really doesn’t help.

Thanks for the fashion-related compliment, btw! I’m certainly dressing a lot smarter, now that I’ve reached my early 30s, and the chinos and polo shirt combo (complete with horn-rimmed glasses!) is something that I’ve grown fond of.

It’s really good to know that I’m not on my own, though, and thanks again for your compassion. I know that I've waffled on a lot, and I'm sorry for that, but I do feel a bit less like an odd one out. Out of curiosity, what type of sports/teams do you enjoy watching?

• Like 2
chairdesklamp
3 hours ago, antheap said:

Just to clarify, guys: I meant that internet forums in general, rather than AVEN specifically, can sometimes come across as cliquey, but I can see how my clumsily worded reply might be taken out of context. Also, any observations that I’ve made are just general observations: they haven’t been based on specific members or threads, particularly this one!

But, yes, I completely get what you mean, and I genuinely appreciate your reassurance. A lot of my insecurities have arguably stemmed from internalised homophobia (I’m definitely more self-conscious about my homoromanticism than my asexuality) and toxic masculinity (I was guilty of exaggerating my more masculine traits and downplaying my refined/sensitive side about a decade ago). Being a fairly masculine and sporty asexual guy who, well, likes other guys makes all of this seem complicated and messy.

Younger aces on this forum do seem to place a strong emphasis on geek culture and, as a consequence, the asexual community does intimidate me slightly. I can’t abide fantasy/sci-fi (excluding Futurama) and, apart from the more naturalistic and understated Studio Ghibli films (I’m referring to things like Ocean Waves and Porco Rosso, rather than Howl’s Moving Castle et al), anime tends to rub me up the wrong way.

Playing video games every so often is fun but, as I don’t have the ability nor inclination to master open world games and RPGs, I normally stick to arcade-type titles (stuff like Ridge Racer and Virtua Tennis), Pro Evolution Soccer, Wii Chess and, occasionally, linear action games like Red Steel. I get the feeling that other franchises, especially Final Fantasy and Zelda, are more commonly referenced between aces, though. I have some nerdish tendencies but, while I’m more than happy to talk about some of that stuff (such as books and video games) at length, potentially feeling alienated and disconnected from the asexual community has been a concern.

I enjoy moorland walks, tennis, world cinema, cooking curries (I’m not a big fan of cake, apart from fruitcake and parkin), playing five-a-side football, listening to bands like Teenage Fanclub, and reading authors like Ernest Hemingway and Walker Percy, so I don’t fit many asexual tropes in terms of interests. But it’s also clear that these stereotypes exist because asexual culture has been poorly documented and thus hasn't had the chance to evolve beyond stereotypical depictions. It’s just frustrating that I have some unfortunate blind spots and a habit of mixing my interests a little too much.

And, even though I'm normally considerate and polite, this fusion of relatively masculine interests and relatively unmasculine personality traits has led to some awkward interactions with allosexuals. After all, a number of my peers have patronisingly assumed that I don’t have any interests other than football, just because I used to attend the occasional away match and subscribe to a football magazine, or accused me of being difficult because I loathe stuff like Doctor Who and Marvel. Nick Hornby once theorised in Fever Pitch that this sort of perception stems from masculinity having a less abstract and more specific meaning than femininity and, because I usually end up overanalysing these type of situations, being naturally introverted and pensive really doesn’t help.

Thanks for the fashion-related compliment, btw! I’m certainly dressing a lot smarter, now that I’ve reached my early 30s, and the chinos and polo shirt combo (complete with horn-rimmed glasses!) is something that I’ve grown fond of.

It’s really good to know that I’m not on my own, though, and thanks again for your compassion. I know that I've waffled on a lot, and I'm sorry for that, but I do feel a bit less like an odd one out. Out of curiosity, what type of sports/teams do you enjoy watching? Basketball:Miami Heat and LA Lakers, Brooklyn Nets, baseball is NY Yankees, Brooklyn Mets. American football: Oakland Raiders. Other than their games, mostly the game is on for background noise. I'll only pay attention if I see or hear something interesting done.

Yeah, I don't watch much fantasy or sci-fi either. Getting into the new Star Trek, I like TOS and TNG, and I like Bleach and a couple of Mituda Sinzou's books (which haven't been translated, so I can talk about them to few) but that's it. 

I miss arcades! I've tried an RPG or two--couldn't get my character to move. Also, how do you know where to go to get more story? 

You familiar with Miyazaki's Lupin III movie? It's been a while since I saw it, so I can't remember much, but that was his breakout production.

Yeah, a lot of communities besides cisgender homosexual skew young, so I feel you on not having a lot in common.

Well, you sound like you dress well!

I'm not into the Marvel movies, either, or DC. Just doesn't interest me. 

Hmm...I never thought about abstract/specific qualities, but that's interesting.

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack

Heh...a LOT of people are asking me one specific question right now: "Have you watched Endgame yet?" And my answer is always the same: an overextended and looped "Ehh... whehh... hmm... mmehh... ehh..." noise, my voice repeatedly cracking and reaching ultrasonic pitch at different intervals, before finishing up with a barely-comprehensible "I... uh... don't... uh... well, um... Avengers movies... ehh?"

I then have to explain why I haven't seen it or Infinity War, before explaining in not much detail that "Avengers movies aren't my favourite. Virtually ANY other MCU movie, however, is fair game." Many try to convince me that I "need" to watch it, but peer pressure never works on me (the more I'm coaxed or forced to do something, the more reluctant I am to do it). Keep trying, friendos. Keep trying. 😁 

• Like 2

I'm not into comics, anymore, but, I do like some of Avenger movies. I enjoy Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels, STTNG, and LOTR.

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack
33 minutes ago, Tja said:

I'm not into comics, anymore, but, I do like some of Avenger movies. I enjoy Sci-Fi/Fantasy novels, STTNG, and LOTR.

I kind of suspected that last one, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it... 😉

• Like 2
9 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

I kind of suspected that last one, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it... 😉

:P😂

• Like 1
GeekyGamerZack
12 hours ago, Tja said:

:P😂

"One does not simply put one's finger on it. 🤔"

(That...sounded different in my head. 😝)

And yes, I know that paraphrase was by Boromir, not Aragorn. It's the first thing that popped into my head. 😁

• Like 1
Slice of Ace

Hmm, I wasn't expecting to come back to Aragon and Legolas kissing 😅

Question: Do you guys go to your local Pride? 

I've only been once (in London) but I'll be going to Edinburgh Pride this year (as well as the ace conference on the Sunday). I think I'm going to plan a specific outfit as well, because gay 😂

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack
4 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Hmm, I wasn't expecting to come back to Aragon and Legolas kissing 😅

It's been SO long since I saw The Return of the King, so I need a refresher. Did that actually happen in the movie...? 🤔

Question: Do you guys go to your local Pride? 

My what? I'm not kidding, I literally don't know what that is, and I've been fully-aware of my own gayness for more than a year now. I'm a terrible (read:uncultured, friendless, lonely) guy who likes guys. 😝

I've only been once (in London) but I'll be going to Edinburgh Pride this year (as well as the ace conference on the Sunday). I think I'm going to plan a specific outfit as well, because gay 😂

Speaking of Scotland, I should try wearing a kilt, ideally of my Mum's clan's tartan. I embrace my Scottish side as much as I embrace both my homoromanticism and my asexuality, and wearing a kilt is on my to-do list. Um...carry on (there I go, hijacking the conversation again... 😅).

• Like 1
Slice of Ace
6 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

My what? I'm not kidding, I literally don't know what that is, and I've been fully-aware of my own gayness for more than a year now. I'm a terrible read:uncultured, friendless, lonely) guy who likes guys. 😝

You don't know what a Pride parade is?! 😨 How is that possible? How?

Y'know, when they have a parade for the LGBT+ community with flags and drag queens and lots of topless guys? They even have a mini asexual bit in larger parades.

6 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Speaking of Scotland, I should try wearing a kilt, ideally of my Mum's clan's tartan. I embrace my Scottish side as much as I embrace both my homoromanticism and my asexuality, and wearing a kilt is on my to-do list.

Haha, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing a kilt. Well actually, if I were wearing a kilt with my accent, I'd probably get brutally murdered so then you could catch me dead in it 😂

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack
5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

You don't know what a Pride parade is?! 😨 How is that possible? How?

Y'know, when they have a parade for the LGBT+ community with flags and drag queens and lots of topless guys? They even have a mini asexual bit in larger parades.

Oh, Pride parade...yeah, I know what one of THOSE is. Honestly, I don't know what I wasn't thinking. 😅

5 hours ago, Slice of Ace said:

Haha, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing a kilt. Well actually, if I were wearing a kilt with my accent, I'd probably get brutally murdered so then you could catch me dead in it 😂

Well, people think I look Scottish despite my red hair mainly coming from my Dad's side, so...lucky me, I guess?

• Like 2

Did someone mention kilts?

Spoiler

DGE71Ok.jpg  H0xSvJs.jpg

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've actually seen any Pride parades where I live, nor am I aware of any gay/ace hangouts/meetups. Perhaps I should find some and meet like-oriented people... 🙂

• Like 2

I never been to pride but I did have a majority of my friends who were LGBT, Aro or Ace. 

They do make better friends than the mundanes.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ColeHW said:

the mundanes

Love this! :D

• Like 2
On 4/27/2019 at 7:53 PM, chairdesklamp said:

Yeah, I don't watch much fantasy or sci-fi either. Getting into the new Star Trek, I like TOS and TNG, and I like Bleach and a couple of Mituda Sinzou's books (which haven't been translated, so I can talk about them to few) but that's it. 

I miss arcades! I've tried an RPG or two--couldn't get my character to move. Also, how do you know where to go to get more story? 

You familiar with Miyazaki's Lupin III movie? It's been a while since I saw it, so I can't remember much, but that was his breakout production.

Yeah, a lot of communities besides cisgender homosexual skew young, so I feel you on not having a lot in common.

Well, you sound like you dress well!

I'm not into the Marvel movies, either, or DC. Just doesn't interest me. 

Hmm...I never thought about abstract/specific qualities, but that's interesting.

Oops, I’ve only just noticed this. I had a stomach bug earlier this week, but I’m sorry about the tardy reply! I *really* should get notifications sent to my email inbox. Thanks again for the kind words, too!

I’ve always wanted to get into baseball – it sounds a bit similar to and a lot simpler than cricket (which I occasionally enjoy) – but it’s never been shown on British TV at a reasonable time. I used to wear a NY Yankees hooded jumper and a Chicago Bulls baseball cap, actually, and I also played a fair amount of basketball when I was a teenager. I’d like to get back into playing and watching basketball at some point but, in the UK, it has been comprehensively overtaken in the popularity stakes by American football (basketball used to have a reasonably mainstream following in the UK about two decades ago). I’m very much like you these days: I still follow my team’s results (I'm a somewhat lapsed Sheffield Wednesday supporter), but I generally only listen to one soccer discussion programme and the occasional match commentary on the radio.

I miss arcades, too! My local shopping centre used to have a Namco-branded arcade store, which closed after I moved away to university, and I also used to love the Sega Rally arcade cabinet that my local multiplex cinema used to own. I wish that Sega would revive the likes of OutRun and Virtua Striker!

I’ve never seen Lupin III but, having just seen the trailer, it looks pretty good! Castle In The Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Ocean Waves, Whisper Of The Heart, The Cat Returns and From Up On Poppy Hill are the Ghibli films that I’ve enjoyed the most.

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack
16 hours ago, antheap said:

I miss arcades, too! My local shopping centre used to have a Namco-branded arcade store, which closed after I moved away to university, and I also used to love the Sega Rally arcade cabinet that my local multiplex cinema used to own. I wish that Sega would revive the likes of OutRun and Virtua Striker!

It looks like you'd really enjoy Timezone Surfers Paradise. That place is filled with so many SEGA arcade cabinets! 😆

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

It looks like you'd really enjoy Timezone Surfers Paradise. That place is filled with so many SEGA arcade cabinets! 😆

*makes mental note to relocate to Australia* That place looks amazing, especially as I’m still the goofiest kid imaginable when it comes to air hockey, mini golf, shooting hoops and tenpin bowling. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast is easily one of my all-time favourite video games, so the OutRun 2 SP SDX cabinet is the icing on the cake. :D

Seriously, the sheer mention of, say, Crazy Taxi or Virtua Fighter 4 is enough to make me go misty-eyed. (As you can imagine, I’m firmly Team Sega all the way. I even received a free Sega T-shirt when I bought Sonic Mega Collection Plus for my PS2! But I did own a Nintendo 64, rather than a Dreamcast or Saturn, so I’m also partial to a bit of Nintendo!)

I’m too much of a wuss for the Dark Escape cabinet, though! *shudders* :o:P

• Like 2