Homoromantic guys chat

1 minute ago, Slice of Ace said:

Haha, you guys are much more stringent on your boyfriend requirements than I am! 😂 I wouldn't mind dating a non-gamer, as long as he'd be up for a casual game (e.g. Mario Kart) every now and then 

How about just “Would you rather play Mario Kart or Call of Duty?”. I think we can all agree there’s a right and wrong answer to that question 😬

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack
1 minute ago, TrippleL said:

How about just “Would you rather play Mario Kart or Call of Duty?”. I think we can all agree there’s a right and wrong answer to that question 😬

You could also substitute CoD for "the F word" (I'm not saying it) and get a near-identical selection of right and wrong answers. 😋

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, TrippleL said:

Good point 😂

Edited by Slice of Ace
  • Like 3

Honestly I really don't play video games (I don't have any console's or know how) but I did use to play simulation games like Plague inc, DEFCON, and flight simulator X.

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack
51 minutes ago, Tja said:

What is this "gaming" thing you're all talking about? scratch_head.gif:P

There was a discussion about which member of a homoromantic relationship is "the guy" and which one is "the girl", and I guess I inadvertently turned it into a discussion about gaming in a homoromantic relationship. So...my bad? 😅

• Like 3
MercyIsVictory

Boy, am I relieved that this page exists. I've been an out-and-proud Ace for about nine years now, but I've never met another Ace in person who wasn't a girl and half my age, and I certainly didn't think there were that many homoromantic guys out there. Hello, everyone! Here's an "old Grandpa" attempting to actually get more involved in the community and finally interact with people who see the world the same way he does. :P 

• Like 6
MercyIsVictory
22 minutes ago, Slice of Ace said:

Welcome, @MercyIsVictory! It's nice to see you outside of my comment section 😊

Still figuring out this whole forum thing, to be honest, haha. I know I'm late to the game!

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack
5 hours ago, MercyIsVictory said:

Hello, everyone! Here's an "old Grandpa" attempting to actually get more involved in the community and finally interact with people who see the world the same way he does. :P 

Whoa, now you're making ME feel old, even though everyone I know thinks I'm in my early-mid 20s! 😅

In any case, welcome to the chat. 😊

• Like 1
MercyIsVictory
1 minute ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

Whoa, now you're making ME feel old, even though everyone I know thinks I'm in my early-mid 20s! 😅

In any case, welcome to the chat. 😊

Haha, I'm known in my friend circle as the Grandpa because I don't understand most social medias, I still have to be reminded to "use the Google," I've said "kids these days" unironically, my short-term memory is horrendous...and a plethora of other things. :P And thanks!

• Like 3
ReverentCreature

Some people are naturally more camp (effeminate) than others.

But it can also depend on personality as well. That is, who does all the decision making and so on.

Other times it can be down to who's dominant (top) in the bedroom department.

All these can affect who's the "guy" and who's the "girl" in a relationship.

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack

I'd probably be gender role-ambiguous, though I figure I'd definitely be "the manchild" of any relationship. 😁

• Like 2

I'm most likely going change roles here and there as my INTJ and INFJ parts fight for control.

• Like 3
MercyIsVictory
On 2/27/2019 at 8:27 PM, ColeHW said:

I'm most likely going change roles here and there as my INTJ and INFJ parts fight for control.

As an INFJ myself, I'd be fascinated to hear how you'd view the two types as inherently having different roles!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, MercyIsVictory said:

As an INFJ myself, I'd be fascinated to hear how you'd view the two types as inherently having different roles!

Sure thing.

Well the INFJ part is more empathetic and friendlier and the INTJ part is more apathetic, defensive and more masculine to put it lightly.

• Like 1
GeekyGamerZack
On 2/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, ColeHW said:

I'd never heard of the MBTI before, but it was fascinating to read about it. I've thought about and analysed the different options of the profile, and I've calculated my personality.

And, well...the results are actually pretty true to who I am, though I actually fall into two possible variations: INFP and INTP. Not sure if it's normal to have two personality archetypes at the same time, but if @ColeHW can do it... 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GeekyGamerZack said:

I'd never heard of the MBTI before, but it was fascinating to read about it. I've thought about and analysed the different options of the profile, and I've calculated my personality.

And, well...the results are actually pretty true to who I am, though I actually fall into two possible variations: INFP and INTP. Not sure if it's normal to have two personality archetypes at the same time, but if @ColeHW can do it... 🙂

It's not normal or common as far as I know.

• Like 2
GeekyGamerZack
1 hour ago, ColeHW said:

It's not normal or common as far as I know.

Hm...in that case, maybe the INTP aspect of my persona is more to do with my autism, and isn't necessarily related to my personality. I feel more drawn to the INFP side anyway, but others tend to see either-or, which may have affected my score.

So I guess I'm predominantly INFP with INTP tendencies, then? 🙂

EDIT: There's very little about myself that's normal and/or common, so who knows? 😁

• Like 1

I wouldn't really think too much about it, because you can't really divide the full range of human personalities into just 16 types. Even if you score somewhere around 50% on any of the tested traits, you'll still get grouped in with the extremes. Not to mention people change over time and sometimes even have different personalities depending on the current situation.

They did a whole segment on this test on 'Adam Ruins Everything' in the episode 'Adam Ruins Dating', which I think is worth a watch (don't just watch the short segment on YouTube, though, since that has a lot of the important bits missing).

By the way, when I took the test a while ago I too landed somewhere between two types, INTJ and INTP, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Xrott
  • Like 4
GeekyGamerZack

Okay, this isn't strictly related to homoromantic guy stuff, but I'm a homoromantic guy and I'm telling it, so... 😌

Q. What's the opposite of a Cait Sith?

A. A Doge Jedi!

(Cue cricket chirps...)

• Like 1
Slice of Ace

Hmm, I don't really care much about this whole personality types thingy but I'll chime in anyway. I find it strange when people state in on dating sites. Am I supposed to know whether I'm more compatible with you if I know your personality type? But anyway, I did a test once, and I'm apparently INFJ. Hooray for me, I guess? I'm just me, and human beings are so complex that you can't categorise us into 16 boxes, like @Xrott said.

@GeekyGamerZack 🦗...

• Like 5

If I were to date anyone I'd base it on personality and intelligence and if you fake any of it I'll spot it quickly.

It's my thing to try to "stop the mask" .

• Like 1
MercyIsVictory

My understanding of the test is that it's based around preferences, that we use all the letters in various circumstances, but one of each pairing will feel more natural for us. I don't believe in the whole "compatibility" thing either, but it *could* be useful in dating situations to understand the other person's preferences. For example, if I'm introverted and the other person is extroverted, it would make me want to plan more social activities for us, for their sake. On the flip side, it would help them understand that I'd need time alone afterwards to recharge. Or if I'm a J and they're a P, I would know that I probably shouldn't expect too much structure/timeliness on their end. Etc. 

• Like 3
GeekyGamerZack

I'm starting to think that there's not much point in me doing an official assessment. I mean, I know who I am, so why would I need to? 😊

Besides, like @Xrott and @Slice of Ace said, personalities are such a diverse and varied spectrum that it's hard to group them into a mere 16 archetypes. One thing I've learned since joining AVEN is that things like gender, sexuality and favourite colour can't be locked to predefined categories, and that each thing about a person is taken from a spectrum of infinite possibilities.

Sure, it's easy to tell people my favourite colour is blue, but it's a very particular range of hues that most people would automatically predetermine as a single label. Majority would say, "Oh, you really like blue, then"; a smaller number would narrow it down and say, "Oh, so light blue is your favourite". None of those are specifically accurate to my preferred hues, which, by the way, range between cyan and azure.

It's the same with the 16 personality archetypes. Each of those has an infinite variety of possibilities that truly define a person of that category, meaning no two individuals who share an identical four-letter label are exactly alike; they're different people with different personalities, dreams, ideals, likes, dislikes, preference in partners and, yes, even specific hues of the colour spectrum. 😉

(Boy, my analytical side really showed through then, didn't it? 😅)

• Like 2
Life With Masks

There's more than 16 personalities. Labels are helpful in order to understand and connect to like-minded people, but most labels don't define people acurately. And if you're going to use labels accordingly, there's no end to it so it becomes short of a label. Not only that, but personal assessment isn't always the best method. People usually tend to cling to beliefs that make them feel better, even if they're not necessarily true, and their memories of their good sides stand more easily than their bad sides. It's better to know the person gradually, including oneself, with time. Classifying people in categories is too narrow minded in my opinion.

I'm INFJ/INTJ but then I identify with INTJ most of the time.

• Like 4

Whether it's MBTI, Enneagram or whatever, the problem is that most people mistake the map for the territory. They're helpful tools, but that doesn't make them all-knowing. They're helpful to use to understand yourself, and others, better (particularly Enneagram because it deals more with motivations than just behavior), but you get into trouble really quickly when you start "typing" people and expecting that they will always behave that way because they're whatever type they are. As someone mentioned above, just saying your favorite color is "blue" isn't helpful when there is an infinite number of shades to that color. The same is absolutely true of personality types. However, as long as you use the tools with a recognition of their limits, they can be supremely helpful. They have been, at least, for me in my work. 

• Like 6