Ladies Only-Are you an "Apple"or a "Pear&quot

Elizabeth I

Just the ladies...Are you an "Apple"...or a "Pear"?  

1. 1.

• Apple
    • Pear

Elizabeth I

This question is directed at the asexual ladies in the over 30 age group who have a tendancy to be a bit on the er .....Rubenesque side :)

Are you an Apple? .... Carry extra weight in the middle. I my case I can get away with parking in the "expectant mother" space.

Or a Pear ? .... Mostly carry their junk in the trunk (thighs and bum)

I have these theories.....

Lizzie

Apple. Well, technically, I'm of 'average' weight these days. But for a few years I had an undetected thyroid imbalance and the extra weight definitely settled around the middle only. (And some of it is still there, kind of hard to get rid of.)

Looked pretty weird to me actually :) 'Cause I have skinny legs and arms.

Even when I was under weight as a teener, I was more of an apple. I think that runs in the family, as my Mother and her mother were also more apples than anything else.

Pears (I'm one - so are all the females in the family) end to um- live longer? It's fat on the tum, not poundage on the bum, that actually counts - BUT - we can all don something about - whatever - eh? Cheers!

I'm more of a pear than apple...esp. today as was flashing so my face was all red LOL

Aventually

Well, I started out as a pear, but lately am more applish....except for my thighs, which look like orange peel. :lol:

I'm not technically overweight, but I have about 5-10 extra pounds I'd like to lose.. some of which has accumulated around the middle, but just enough to keep me from having a discernable waistline. Making me look more like a banana than anything. :lol: Do bananas fit into your theory at all? :|

mouth brooder

Apple, and when thin, banana like Mac, especially since I have a little scoliosis, hehe.

So, Elizabeth, are you wondering about estrogen dominant women, which apples are supposedly not?

Despite eating less than the 'after' amount that the weight loss people do, I have a physically demanding job (you try moving a few dozen 24 pack of lager, or 60 or so 2 litre bottles of lemonade. We're constantly on the go, Tesco in Banbury is a pretty big store and is currently being upgraded to a Superstore. In spite of this I can't lose weight and could be denied treatment if the consultant decides I weigh too much to be treated.

Aventually

Remember, Tanwen, that they say muscle weighs more than fat? You surely have to have some muscle to do such a physically demanding job!

Elizabeth I

I DO wonder about hormones....and genetics.....and culture....and gender and how all these things make us who we are.

I have CERTAINLY noticed physical changes since menopause. One being a loss of muscle mass in my thighs, and it's incredibly difficult to train .

It used to be that I would get the usual soreness after a serious work out...especially if I had been a bit negligent. But what's happening with the atrophy is hard to describe. It's almost like a paralysis of sorts.

I am 4 years post menopause, and have had bone density tests with very GOOD results. I actually fell into range of a 35 year old. (at 53)

But I am really starting to look like one of those "egg on legs" types !

Frightening stuff!

Lizzie

More of a "lily."

That means broader shoulders than hips. :x

Elizabeth I
More of a "lily."

That means broader shoulders than hips.

Hmmm...Kind of like a "Barbie" doll? :wink:

Lizzie

Elizabeth I
Well, I started out as a pear, but lately am more applish....except for my thighs, which look like orange peel. :lol:

Hmmm almost a fruit salad! :lol:

Lizzie

More of a "lily."

That means broader shoulders than hips.

Hmmm...Kind of like a "Barbie" doll? :wink:

Lizzie

:shock: Nah. Barbie has a nice figure. Mine is prolly more like Ken. :x

Despite eating less than the 'after' amount that the weight loss people do, I have a physically demanding job (you try moving a few dozen 24 pack of lager, or 60 or so 2 litre bottles of lemonade. We're constantly on the go, Tesco in Banbury is a pretty big store and is currently being upgraded to a Superstore.

Hey Tan, your job sounds like mine! Although I'm a cook, I've gotta schlepp the stuff I cook...today I'll be moving a couple of tons (literally) of chickens, food, and supplies. And I work in a mega mart, too. In addition to the lifting, I figure I walk about 4 miles during the course of a shift. Most people never give much thought to how their food gets onto the market shelves. As you say it is physically demanding work and you'd think we'd burn off what we eat.

As for me, well I didn't vote because I'm neither 'rubenesque', 'apple' or 'pear'. I'm an hourglass with shifting sands.

In spite of this I can't lose weight and could be denied treatment if the consultant decides I weigh too much to be treated.

This, I don't understand. Isn't that sort of like going to a doctor and hearing, "Sorry - I don't treat people who are as sick as you?" Anyway, that really sucks.

Aventually

...hourglass with shifting sands-- I LOVE that! GOOD one!

And the fruit salad line, too! LOL Hey, at least it's a tasty treat. 8)

Elizabeth I
Despite eating less than the 'after' amount that the weight loss people do, I have a physically demanding job (you try moving a few dozen 24 pack of lager, or 60 or so 2 litre bottles of lemonade. We're constantly on the go, Tesco in Banbury is a pretty big store and is currently being upgraded to a Superstore. In spite of this I can't lose weight and could be denied treatment if the consultant decides I weigh too much to be treated.

I know what you mean Tanwen, as a teenager I used to fast 3 days (just lots of water)then 1 day on a very balanced 600 calories, then 3 days fasting. I also walked about 4 miles a day (to and from work). I used to DREAM about eating food and wake up in a panic thinking I'd ruined everything!

I was able to get my weight down from 210 to 150 in about a year that way ...then I hit a "plateau" and stopped losing weight. I decided to get "serious" and went on a two week fast and wound up in a hospital. I'd lost 5 pounds in two weeks, but my ketones were off the charts! so what did they do ? They gave me a bloody IV an I gained BACK the 5 pounds in three days in the hospital! (mosfly from the stupid IV!)

After I got pregnant with my son I had to eat because the OB/GYN told me my baby would be brain damaged if didn't. she put me on a weight loss diet used for toxemics and I gained 80 pounds. She never believed I was only eating what was on the diet!

But after I had my son it was just to difficult for me to make time for the excercise between working and taking care of him. I also found it impossible to fast while preparing food for him. I would break down and eat every single day. My weigh quickly balooned back to 210 pounds , then an extra 20 for goos measure...then leveled off.

I'm not gaining weight now, but I still eat very little. I don't sit down for large meals all at once because I get full very quickly and don't like the feeling. I will have a piece of fruit or a salad then a piece of meat or 2 eggs for dinner. I do drink several cups of coffee with milk though.

Food is expensive. I think if I had a normal metabolism and had to buy all that food I wouldn't be able to pay my bills now.

When my son was home I spent about $100 a week JUST FOR HIS FOOD!

He eats what I guess is a normal amount for a man , but he is thin as a rail.. 5'10" and only about 120 pounds!

So it's definately about your metabolism, and I don't think there is any way to change metabolism in late adulthood, Unless you can build up muscle.

Gastric bypass really does seem to change it too. I know folks who have had it. After a few years folks who have had the surgery usually go back to eating normally, and they might gain back a few pounds, but not like they did before the surgery.

There are several of those centers in my area but they won't do the surgery on me. I guess I'm just not fat enough or maybe I'm too old.

Lizzie

I'm none of the above apples, pears, hourglasses, nothing.

I'm a STICK!

As of two weeks ago, I weighed 114 lbs, 5'5". No chest, little butt on me either.

As of this morning I weighed 119 as I am attempting to gain weight. I have the opposite problem, I have trouble gaining weight so I quit a job to focus on eating more since my little collapse at work.

My goal is 125 lbs, then get another job to work it off or keep to a healthy 120 or something.

As for the metabolism problems others are experiencing, go see your doctor and have them check for quite a few things. If you watch the show "House", there is a 15 year old girl who can't lose weight, despite eating healthy and excersizing. Finally she had a heart attack. Turns out she had something in her brain that was causing it. After it was removed, they showed a scene of her, she had lost a LOT of weight (like, 40 lbs!) in three weeks.

Another thing docs should check for is nodes in the reproductive system. I can't remember the names of these disorders for the life of me! My friend has always had a weight problem, and it turns out she had like, polyps or something in that part of her system. Apparently they cause weight gain. Just something for your doc to look into in the future.

Cacille - try taking some omega3 (fishoil capsules) - I have a cuz who presents like you, and it has made a favourable difference- cheers Islander 9

• 3 weeks later...
FelineFanatic
I'm none of the above apples, pears, hourglasses, nothing.

I'm a STICK!

I wish I could be a stick! It's rough being an old rotting pear. And if you want to be a fruit, too, how about a banana!

This would be you: purplebanana.gif

This would be me: crutch.gif (Only with a walker instead of crutches.)

I think you have it much more exciting ansd fun! heartpump.gif

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine has always struggled with her weight. No matter how little she ate, the weight stayed. But she was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (or something like it). When they tested her, they found she was waking up several times a minute during the night. She is now on an oxygen machine at night. Not fun, but she says she has more energy and feels better than she ever has. Also, as a fringe benefit, her weight is dropping. She lost 50 pounds without changing any other part of her routine, just getting a better night's sleep. Sleep must affect the metabolism.

I think that I'm an apple,I am not fat,but I must have take care with the food, because if I ate everything,I would be fat,the worst thing is that I like sweets very much.What a pity!!! :(

A friend of mine has always struggled with her weight. No matter how little she ate, the weight stayed. But she was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (or something like it). When they tested her, they found she was waking up several times a minute during the night. She is now on an oxygen machine at night. Not fun, but she says she has more energy and feels better than she ever has. Also, as a fringe benefit, her weight is dropping. She lost 50 pounds without changing any other part of her routine, just getting a better night's sleep. Sleep must affect the metabolism.

Actually, sleep deprivation makes the brain hungry and the result is that it causes a serious craving for high-carbohydrate foods. This is one of the reasons that working the night shift can cause weight gain. The same thing is common with people who say they need very little sleep.

Getting enough proper, "un-drugged" sleep is very important in weight control.

-GB

• 1 month later...

Cushing Syndrome, caused by a non-cancerous (benign) pituitary tumor, so, I had a moon-face, and ok arms & legs then this bulging belly, that I can't get rid of. Since the PitGland is command central for hormones, including skin stuff, my fluppy belly will always be with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I put pear, even though it is more banana. No belly fat to speak of at all, but the waist has gone (49 and still ovulating...).

I stay low healthy weight by eating lots of fish, fruit and veg, wholemeal bread and soya milk as most of my diet. Can fit in a little plain choc. daily, exercise moderately, daily, and never lose or gain any weight. Weigh the same now as when I was 16 - 126 lbs, 5.6 and 1/2 inches. To lose weight, avoid saturated fats like in cheese and meat, avoid white bread, white rice and sugar and keep moving. I have high muscle- low fat ratio, and this keeps the calories burning off even when sitting still or sleeping. Greybird's comment about sleep was important - I sleep loads. If I do get a bad night, I am starving in the night and next day and definitely eat more.

Archived