Interviewee for a Short Documentary Wanted

Andreea

I am a film student who wants to make a short documentary (5-8 minutes) about someone who is asexual. The aim of the film is to raise awareness about what asexuality really is as many people still don't understand it by presenting the story and experience of one individual. If you would like to share your experience and want to find more about the project send me a message. 

I have not had a chance to speak to Andreea yet but have requested a skype meeting so I can learn more about their project and do the usual background checks. In the meantime, I am going to leave the thread up - feel free to respond to Andreea if you like, but please send me a PM if you do so as well.

-michaeld

(AVEN Project Team and media coordinator)

Are you looking for just one person who is asexual only, and not just part of the spectrum, such as demisexual, gray-asexual, etc?

I would like to contribute but I don't know if you want someone who lives close to you. I live in Dallas, Texas.

Hi all,

I've spoken to Andreea on skype. This is a student project, which would involve in-person filming in some UK location, ideally London - say at the person's house or some other location meaningful to them. The purpose of the documentary would be to explain asexuality - so basically Asexuality 101 - but from the perspective of the person the doc decides to focus on. The doc isn't aimed at any particular age group, so anyone on the ace spectrum (asexual, demi, grey) who lives in the UK is eligible. The documentary would last 5-8 min. With the consent of the subject, it could be put on youtube, as well as being handed into the course for assessment. Thus it would also be a vis-ed opportunity.

I asked Andreea to send the university consent and ethics documents and now have these in my possession. I am satisfied this will be a sympathetic and accurate look at the ace spectrum and thus would encourage anyone who wants to to get involved. Feel free to PM me for further info.

-michaeld (AVEN PT)

ThinkNotVanilla

I'm gray asexial'ish - very happy to put my name forward. I spent most of my childhood at heterosexual just thinking I was 'weird' :D

KeyboardWarrior

Hello! I am a 30-year-old asexual male from the UK. I came out to friends and family in April this year, although I had known on some level a long time beforehand.

I'm not sure whether I'm necessarily your ideal candidate, and although I'm from the UK I live in northern England so meeting you in person to talk about this stuff might be a fairly hefty financial issue - but if you'd like to know more, then I am more than happy to exchange some messages or Skype time; even if what we discuss doesn't form the main focus of your research, it could deepen your project if you have the time or inclination to include it, and I'd be happy to give up some time to help a fellow student in their endeavours! (Well alright, I graduated in 2014 but I still miss university like hell)

I've turned replies on, so let me know if you think I can be of any assistance. Best of luck with your studies either way! :)

Hi there. I am a 39 yr old gray ace who is married with two children. I am a phone sex operator. I was highly sexual as a youth.

I didn't realize I was ace until less than a year ago. My best friend (gay male) is ace, so I researched it. Oh, also have early childhood sexual experiences which further confounded this issue.  I think I could help. I have spent my whole life reconciling  my feelings towards myself and sex. You should contact me. I will answer any questions with the utmost honesty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a 24 year old male from the UK, a little outside London, Asexual who only very recently came to terms with that fact. I spent a lot of my teen years focusing on sex thinking that it was something I should be interested in, mostly owing to the pressure that exists in school and college to do so. I spent a year in a same sex relationship I convinced myself I enjoyed for the sex (at that point i considered myself bi) but honestly didn't  enjoy it and then after that found myself having casual sex now and then and equally not enjoying it. There was almost no information available to me about asexuality until I was trying to articulate how I felt to a very close friend of mine who suggested I may be asexual. after doing some research I reached the conclusion that that is what I have been all along. 

It'd be wonderful to see a film documenting asexuality from an Ace person's perspective in society.

Archived