do you wear the "asexual ring"?

MelMart

Nope I'm not big on jewelry but I made an ace-flag color rainbow loom bracelet and I sometimes wear it

I have a ring, although I'm not wearing it now since I'm home. I also have a beanie that I wear everywhere because Rochester is cold.

Perilous Poozer
4 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

It's tempting to buy a black ring but to put on my left ring finger...

I would simply assume you’re married.

6 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

It's tempting to buy a black ring but to put on my left ring finger for these two reasons:

1. A sign of asexuality (obviously)
  2. People will think that I'm married - reduce chances of ever being flirted with

I do wear a black ring on my left ring finger, because I bought it without knowing about the right middle finger symbolism. In three years only one person has asked if I'm married. Coincidentally they are also the only person who has recognised asexulity outside this community 

29 minutes ago, Princess Merida said:

That's ideal then. Hopefully everyone leaves me alone then.

Fingers crossed that works out for you. I used to wear a silver ring that I liked on my right ring finger and at some point people started asking me if I was married. It got annoying, so I stopped wearing it.

41 minutes ago, skyedive said:

Fingers crossed that works out for you. I used to wear a silver ring that I liked on my right ring finger and at some point people started asking me if I was married. It got annoying, so I stopped wearing it.

I can live with that I think. I would just say, "yes", and leave it at that. :) 

arekathevampyre
9 hours ago, StormySky said:

Nope I'm not big on jewelry but I made an ace-flag color rainbow loom bracelet and I sometimes wear it

I used to wear my rainbow loom bracelet until the weather got way too hot to wear those stuff

I actually wear a.. celibacy ring? Abstinence ring? We call it a promise ring in my family, but that can also mean like a promise-I-will-ask-you-to-marry-me ring.

My mom got the ring for me when I was 14. It says “True Love Waits” on it. I’ve worn it every day since. (Some of my friends have made jokes that for me, true love waits forever because I’m ace.) I plan on getting an ace ring when I leave my parents’ house/become an adult. Right now I’m content with the ring I have to keep all the horny people away. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Hazel_Elise said:

I actually wear a.. celibacy ring? Abstinence ring?

I think its called a purity ring....

Why people think being a virgin is being pure i dont know....i think pure people are good people with pure, kind hearts.

Just now, lazypanda said:

I think its called a purity ring....

Why people think being a virgin is being pure i dont know....i think pure people are good people with pure, kind hearts.

There we go! That’s what it’s called, yeah. (And I know)

I had ceramic one but unfortunatley it broke after two months of wearing. Right now i look for something simple like one i had but much more durable. 

Yes, I wear an ace ring, all the time, mostly because it reminds me that there is an ace community out there and that I'm not alone in my experiences. 

6 hours ago, lazypanda said:

Why people think being a virgin is being pure i dont know...

You've got religion and the patriarchy to thank for that. It was that if you (particularly if you were a women) had sex you were "dirty" therefore if you've not had sex you are "cleaner"

8 hours ago, dragon_nerd said:

Yes, I wear an ace ring, all the time, mostly because it reminds me that there is an ace community out there and that I'm not alone in my experiences

Second that! :) 

Just out of curiosity, what material do you like your ace ring (if you have one) out of? Obsidian? Hematite? Tungsten? Do tell, I want to know. (For me it doesn't really matter, it would, but obsidian breaks easily.)

Perilous Poozer
On 1/11/2018 at 5:11 PM, Tortuga said:

Just out of curiosity, what material do you like your ace ring (if you have one) out of? Obsidian? Hematite? Tungsten? Do tell, I want to know. (For me it doesn't really matter, it would, but obsidian breaks easily.)

So does hematite. Tungsten carbide or steel IMO. Tungsten itself is very hard but brittle.

Rather ironically I have to be very careful washing hands etc because my tungsten carbide ace ring damages my gold wedding ring. Makes me laugh that symbolically my aceness is eroding my ostensible heterosexuality!

Mine is a narrow, plain tungsten carbide ring like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SYA9D1A/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515658450&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=tungsten+ring+black+2mm&dpPl=1&dpID=315PZGJEX9L&ref=plSrch

I have very small, slender hands and I like how this doesn't look clunky. I wear it all the time now except for when I'm at work. Feels a bit too personal for that.

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I have one made out of silicone, and I love it! It's super comfortable, and really easy to put on and take off. I highly recommend it.

On January 10, 2018 at 11:11 PM, Tortuga said:

Very interesting question. In general, no preference, but the one I wear is steel-based ring. Fits well, and feels decent on the finger (i.e., no irritability). Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007LQG9TC/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1515860628&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=black+rings+for+men .

I usually don't, mainly because non-asexual people may also wear a black ring. I don't want to mistake them for asexual. Although exactly how many people do you think wear it?

On January 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Alex G. said:

I usually don't, mainly because non-asexual people may also wear a black ring. I don't want to mistake them for asexual. Although exactly how many people do you think wear it?

Another interesting question. To be honest, I am not too sure, but if I were to guess without any scientific evidence (:o), I would say less than 50%. Probably around 25-30% :blink:;) . Might be worth a poll question...

ThousandSunny

I have a black ring that I wear on my right ring finger.

I bought it to go on my middle finger, but it ended up being too small.

I didn't feel like returning it because it was specially made with a soundwave of my favorite kpop group's greeting.

I've thought about just getting another ring, but I figured my ring finger was close enough. Haha

I have one that I've been wearing for the past year or so, but I may need to buy a new one. This one's not only slightly too big (every blue moon it falls off), but it's also up against another right on my right index finger and it's getting slightly scratched up.

On 11/01/2018 at 5:11 AM, Tortuga said:

I've tried different materials and settled for titanium black rings.

I only remove my ace ring when I shave to avoid scratching my skin, otherwise it's 24/7 middle finger right hand.

I just ordered, for $6.99 a 5-pack of silicone wedding rings size 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0105UU3I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), yay one will have to fit!

And some o-rings for $2.99 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZDQU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I couldn't decide whether I wanted something more like a band or something thinner, and I didn't feel like bothering getting my finger properly measured.

1 hour ago, Cnyb said:

I just ordered, for $6.99 a 5-pack of silicone wedding rings size 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0105UU3I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), yay one will have to fit!

And some o-rings for $2.99 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZDQU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I couldn't decide whether I wanted something more like a band or something thinner, and I didn't feel like bothering getting my finger properly measured.

Great suggestions. I had some O rings in the garage so I checked them out for size. The silicone rings look nice.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Cnyb said:

On 1/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, will123 said:

Great suggestions. I had some O rings in the garage so I checked them out for size. The silicone rings look nice.

I agree, very good suggestions Cnyb! :) I went with a metal one because I figure the Silicone ones wouldn't really last for me. Besides, especially how dry my hands have been, I've needed to keep lotion on them most days, so lately I couldn't wear it. :o 

I guess my real reason for wearing an asexuality ring is, maybe someone new will try to get me interested in their cake.  :cake::cake:

23 hours ago, Cnyb said:

I guess my real reason for wearing an asexuality ring is, maybe someone new will try to get me interested in their cake.  :cake::cake:

Oh Golly, I just remembered I have cake in the freezer!  Hmmm....

No, I don't wear a ring, I've considered it, but I think whether or not I decide to wear one would depend upon how bold I feel like being about my sexuality.  I'm currently content to just be.

Ok so now I know my middle finger is size 10.  My hands look better with a narrow ring, so I ordered a 2mm metal band.  If I wore trendier stuff and bracelets or punk/goth alternative stuff or whatnot, with some black that would make it stick out less, then the wider band would be fine for me.  The o-ring is ok in a pinch, but I want a real ring.  I think if I wore more rings and things it wouldn't stand out as much.

Archived