do you wear the "asexual ring"?

MelMart

I do wear one, mostly as a reminder to myself that I am 'ok' and not alone. Gotta love having a community who understands (even if it took me years to)!

I got a silicone ring so that it will hold up to handwashing and alcohol handrinse at work. I was a bit nervous to start wearing it, but coworkers were mostly curious if the silicone aspect instead of it being an unsusal colour for me.

And I saw a youtuber with a black ring on his middle finger on his right hand! Did not dig for cause, but it is nice to see regardless of his reasoning 🙂

After seeing this, I've gone and brought a nice black ring from Amazon. I'm kind of surprised there are no pictures of any ones rings.

22 minutes ago, CirrusClouds said:

After seeing this, I've gone and brought a nice black ring from Amazon. I'm kind of surprised there are no pictures of any ones rings.

Here's one. I thought I remembered seeing more pics of others' black rings, months ago, but I might be mistaken.

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/156859-ace-ring-at-pride/?tab=comments#comment-1062296328

Aroacemusicalnerd

I found my first & favorite black ring in a mall kiosk, it's made of tungsten carbide, highly recommend. I also bought two rings online that are a little more special, they're technically gambling rings, but I interpret them as my unique aroace rings. It's a bit risky because you never know with online stuff, but I think it's worth it. (I luckily have huge fingers so finding rings is less problematic because black rings are typically seen as more "masculine".) For sure, get your right hand middle finger ring size verified at a legitimate jewelry store before making purchases.

I like wearing my black ring because it's a subtle reminder of who I am, and it's my little secret. It is also a conversation starter, if people care to ask, then they will, I've had at least three people ask me what my ring means in the past two months of wearing one. I'm still not entirely comfortable just blurting out what it means, so I tell them it's an ace ring & to look it up if they want to know, they all have. Every single person wanted to know, and they were respectful of me afterwards despite knowing that info, in fact, they asked me polite questions on the subject. 

I have yet to be identified in this way or identify another in this way. 

Flowertheflower

I am on the lookout for one, so I can wear it when I feel a bit sad. 

Perilous Poozer

Ow on the topic - my hematite one broke today and now I have a bandaid on instead of any kind of ring. Stick to tungsten! :mellow:

I have one, but I wear it on a chain on my neck instead of on my finger because of work habits (we couldn't have rings at work at one of my old jobs); a fellow ace at my last job still recognized it.

I now have a classmate who wears a black ring on his right middle, but he says he's not ace. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 3:20 PM, Laplace said:

I don't but I may consider doing so in the future, just not around my parents cause they'll definitely think something is up (I'm a relatively austere person and I hardly wear any ornamentation). It'd be cool to see if anyone recognizes it. There's a decent chance of it in CA.

That mirrors my thoughts if I decide to get one.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:51 PM, Zendalis said:

I don't often wear rings (I'm pretty much an earrings-only person), but I do now have a black one that I wear when I'm not at work (I wear no jewelry at all at work...it's a safety thing).

I'm a hobby machinist after retiring and ring removal was the first thing they told us as apprentices. 

I've been wanting to do this for a while tbh

I like these little silicone solid colored rings you can find at spencer's gifts

unfortunately I work in a bakery and I'd be worried that they wouldn't let me wear it

I mean yeah technically I could just put it on when I get off of work

but god do I have the worst memory lol

On 9/3/2017 at 0:34 PM, Purple_Panda said:

I don't but I've been considering getting one. The problem with me and rings is that I knock them against things. Maybe if it was one that was just beads and stretchy, although I think the colors of the Ace flag would be cool on it. New DIY project perhaps? It might be easier than the blanket I planned on doing but don't know how to yet. 

There are black rings that are silicone.

arekathevampyre
20 hours ago, GH0STB0T said:

I've been wanting to do this for a while tbh

I like these little silicone solid colored rings you can find at spencer's gifts

unfortunately I work in a bakery and I'd be worried that they wouldn't let me wear it

I mean yeah technically I could just put it on when I get off of work

but god do I have the worst memory lol

put in on a chain and tuck it under your shirt/uniform ? 

arekathevampyre

again , I have to ask (for a thousand times lol) if anyone wears it on their left middle finger a.k.a the forever alone finger (aro ace) ? 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:00 PM, Lichley said:

I have two O-rings (car parts) as my ace ring, which I wear all of the time. Mainly because a black ring cost £45 here, and there's no cheap plastic ones around. But also because I travel a lot, and the rubber won't set off the metal detectors in airports.

Great idea! I never thought of that (doh moment). And here I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out my ring size & order a ring on line. I've got a bunch of o rings in my shop.

Thanks for making my day!

I have a 2mm tungsten black ring. It's tiny, and never gets in the way.

It does make 'clack clack clack' sounds when I practice with metal against my quarterstaff (I practice martial arts), from all the hand flips and techniques. :D so that's kinda cool

@Lichley I checked out in my shop and I have some  black o rings that are the right size for my finger :) . Thank you again for the idea!

So far, I've only worn my ring at home, because... well, I guess I'm not sure I want non-ace people to recognize it - although I understand that the risk is quite low. Also, in cold weather it might not be convenient, because I need to use gloves every time I go out. 

It's nice to wear the ring at home to remind myself there are other people like me out there, but there is a problem with it: the ring is made of vegan leather, and I'm always afraid of damaging it. There are a lot of things to do at home that could damage the ring - like, washing dishes, which I do several times a day so that there would not be a whole pile of dirty dishes waiting for me.

(Just ordered a cheap silicon ring from ebay. I wonder, would it be more practical?)

Yes I do. I started wearing one after looking into this whole asexual thing. It reminds me that I'm not alone out here. Been wearing it so long now it feels weird not to have it on. 

• 1 month later...
RandomPerson1996

I recently brought a black ring and I use it somewhat sporadic. I brought it for myself on an impulse, because I question myself often so I wanted something to symbolise this part of me. But I mostly use it in the hope that another asexual or somebody knowing somebody will recognize it.

I just want somebody to talk to about this experience. 

Yes. Mine's a black version of the One Ring from Lord of the Rings, because I'm a geek.

I'd never heard of it until I read this thread, but now I'm intrigued. But like a few others here I don't wear jewellery much (anymore) and I'm nervous about how people would react or the wrong people recognising it. I used to wear rings but stopped after being asked if I'm engaged or married one too many times, and people have commented on me wearing other earrings than usual in the past. But I like the idea of the ring and of meeting fellow aces through it (while simultaneously being terrified of it). I might just order one of those thin tungsten rings some time and try to slowly get used to wearing jewellery without feeling self-conscious again :)

Is it just me who finds the irony of the black bands being primarily marketed as wedding bands quite entertaining?

I've been wearing one for about a year and a half now, ever since I went on holiday with my sister and spotted a market stall selling black rings for cheap. Managed to get one that fit on my middle finger and I've been wearing the same one ever since. It's a pretty sturdy one that has lasted me well and doesn't look like it'll need replacing any time soon. I wear mine mainly as a reminder to myself that there are other people like me around and that I'm not "weird/strange/frigid/whatever people call me because I'm asexual"

On 14.10.2017 at 7:33 PM, Blanca said:

(Just ordered a cheap silicon ring from ebay. I wonder, would it be more practical?)

It is more practical - but the minus is, it collects dust very easily :( So, nothing is perfect.

Where can I get one?

I NEED ONE PLZ PLZ PLZ 

\\beg

hello fellow humans

I got my ring yesterday from Amazon. :) $10 for a ceramic band. Really really like it! Wore it all day today, even in front of 4 close friends of mine (though I'm not out to any of them yet cause I'm scared >_<). I also don't wear any jewelry, only a watch, and I don't really care about my appearance (ie. no makeup, no dresses/skirts, etc.). I was really relieved that they didn't ask why I was wearing a ring, just commented that they noticed it. I was really scared they might ask. So people! Don't be scared to wear your ace ring, even if you don't wear much jewelry. :D Most people won't think too much of it. Just don't be too anxious about it, or people might think something's up. 

Hermit Advocate
11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Where can I get one?

I NEED ONE PLZ PLZ PLZ 

\\beg

Look on amazon. They usually have some fairly cheap tungsten steel ones. That's where I got mine. 

I couldn't get an actual ring, so I made one out of black coloured craft wire. I normally only wear it when I'm on my own but may wear it out soon. I'm considering getting an actual ring in the future.

I have a black ring, but I very rarely wear it.  Any ring that can fit past my knuckle is uncomfortably wide around the base of my finger.  I do have the 'ace necklace' I made that I wear fairly often, but no one's commented on my color choices yet.  I might take to threading the ring on the necklace, or wearing them together, and see if at least the lesbian couple at work notice anything.

Archived