Dissociative Identity Disorder

Enbious1

It's quite a rare condition but I was curious if anyone else on the forums here had DID. I have been trying to find out all I can about DID systems and how alters can be completely different from one another in personality, behavior, sexuality, identity, and even physiologically. For instance, one of my alters does not feel anything physically and as a result of that is stronger by far than myself or any other alter. They could have a broken hand or leg and it wouldn't affect them very much if at all. Two of my alters are asexual while one is heterosexual and another is pansexual. One is female, one is male, and two others are agender while one identifies as robotic instead of human. It all really begs to question how the mind works and how medical conditions work. I have dyslexia but another alter doesn't. One of my alters has tinnitus. All but one of us needs glasses to see. Just curious if there are any aces who have DID.

There were two member profiles during the time I was on this site, that I was aware of. They were both pretty open... should I say "systems"? - both open to their concerns and health, their struggles and their victories. not full disclosure, but to an accessible and honest extent of discussion.

one logged on and off for both the first and last time a few months before the other. They both seemed to get positive attention, but I wonder if maybe being in the lime light made forming a bond to the AVEN community difficult? couldn't know without them returning. they were on between two and three years ago, tho.

I had dissociation as a teenager, and I still do, a little bit. I just have (had) two personalities, though they are finally merging into one.  It is a little difficult to share this because it has been a long journey, but I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

To Each Their Own

Yes. I was diagnosed over 20 years ago. It's not something I usually talk a lot about, however...little know fact...there is a book out there somewhere about our system. We do respond very differently to medications and probably did help us survive an overdose. 

Our system has gone through different changes over the years and it has certainly matured and been through some fine-tuning. In short, we kept all the best things about our multiplicity, whilst healing from from the distinctional things. It works for us.

I don't think I have DID, but I do live in a constant state of disassociation. I used to think I had it though, because I used to talk to myself and make up alter selves in my head all the time. You can call them imaginary friends, but I don't think you get those in high school. It was a coping mechanism to deal with my abuse. Using these alters as voices of consciousness, and or disagreement. It helped me deal with stuff better. There were times where I "shifted" gears/personalities, but I was fully aware of it happening and could control it (Unless I was angry). So it could not be DID based on the diagnostic criteria. 

What I do have is Bipolar, with co-morbid Schizoid personality disorder (not schizophrenia, but same cluster). This makes people assume I have personality shifts. The two interact very strangely. Schizoid slows down my Bipolar's rapid mood changes, and more like eases me into them. I can also feel when a shift in overall mood is going to occur. But being schizoid, also makes my mania almost as unbearable as manic depression, because it increases my anti-social behavior, makes angry and irritated with everyone, and I cannot focus on anything. I think being depressed feels better to me, because at least then I can focus on things, and can sleep at night. 

Between mood swings though, there is a middle ground that seems to be the mood I am in the most. While my two extremes of bipolar are gradual, and easy to predict. This middle ground, is my most normal state of my personality. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know am late to this post but I think I actually have imaginary friends still, and i'm in highschool

This thread has been inactive for a long time and is now being locked. If anyone would like to discuss the topic further, feel free to start a new thread.

Iam9man

PPS Moderator

Archived