I remember...

Nero laughed

Elizabeth I

I was always a Rock & Roller too

Started with the Everly Brothers and Ricky Nelson.

I saw the Beatles at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1964. I was 12 and my Dad took me!

I remember being offered $100 each for our tickets by a man at the door (that would be like $1000 each now )

I remember not being able to hear ANYTHING but screaming during the performance.....and some hearing loss for a few days after....

I remember walking on the thousands of jelly beans that coated the floor of the stadium...and trying to get them off my shoes the following day.

I remember the ride home....just me and my dad in our blue and white Plymouth station wagon. I remember how special a moment it seemed even at the time. I didn't now it was to be our last. He died eight months later of a massive heart attack.

I will ALWAYS remember his last comment about the show that night....

"Keep your eye on that Paul McCartney fella.....He's the leader of that band"

And so I did....for over 40 years now!

Lizzie

mouth brooder

Wow, bittersweet story Lizzie.

I remember trying to do the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme song sound effect by blowing into my hands clasped together.

Scaring little kids with the severed finger trick.

Patting my head and rubbing my tummy and getting mixed up.

Learning how to trace opposing circles in the air with my index fingers.

Playing Body and Soul duets on the piano after graduating from Chopsticks. And playing that all black note song with the fists.

Clothespinning a playing card on the front fork of my bike to sound like an engine in the spokes.

Tiddlywinks, pickupsticks, and that one with the S shaped monkeys.

Etchasketch!

Spirograph!

Yatzee!

I remember when:

a 'chip' was something you ate (or had on your shoulder)

People got married first and lived together afterwards.

Going all the way meant staying on the bus to the depot.

Hardware included hammers, saws and were bought at the do it yourself shop

Software wasn't even a word.

Grass was something you mowed

Coke was something you kept in the coal shed and put on the fire

A Pot was something you cooked in, or tried to get the kids to sit on to get out of nappies.

Oh! So cool- until about the mid 1960s, most S.I ANZ had long drops.

We got tv is the early 1960s (b&w). We mainly had UK stuff - I'll remember Daleks forever! When i play back transferred-to-dvd stuff to family kids now, they laugh their heads off -'You didnt speak like that!"

"Shit you shoulda died rather than worn - what *was* that?')

Times change.

lives corkscrew.

All is - different-

Shit you shoulda died rather than worn - what *was* that?
Isn't that what is usually said immediately before something gets really fashionable and trendy again ?

Let's see... I remember... gas was .39 cents a gallon, then came this OPEC thing, and there were lines of cars all the way down the street waiting to fill up. I remember black & white TV, and still have the old rotary phone, too -- it works better than the new phone. I still have the old '72 Buick, which I restored -- I swear it runs better than my new car. I remember seeing hippies hang around the neighborhood, and as a kid, I thought they were cool & looked up to them. Some of them down the street had a band, & they played in a garage. (It was lousy music, though.) But when they got high, they could be scary. Once some hippies were hanging out in the woods behind my grandparents' house, and I went out to play and saw them freaking out -- I got scared 'cause I had no idea what that was about! Now I realize it was LSD or something... I also remember when All in the Family & the Jeffersons were the greatest TV shows ever! I also remember another show in which this kid kept yelling "Dyn-O-Mite!" but cannot recall the name of the show... ? Also there were old reruns of Lassie, Lost in Space, and the Lone Ranger too which were fun when I was real little... I vaguely remember a show called Kukla, Fran & Ollie, which I believe was a puppet show, which was an old black & white rerun... I also remember when Sesame Street was "new show" & heard a mother recently talking about how her kids like Sesame Street, "what, is that still on?"...

Things were a lot more innocent then, too. If a crime was committed, everyone was shocked. Now, it's just another day.

Nero laughed
Tiddlywinks, pickupsticks, and that one with the S shaped monkeys.
that was "Barrel O' Monkeys". I remember when we were young, we had to catch our own monkeys to play that game. None of this new fangled plastic stuff........
Scaring little kids with the severed finger trick.
Aww, that joke just never gets old! :twisted:

I remember when our city had a real downtown. The day you were old enough to bike or walk 'overtown' by yourself was a thrill, you were as free as any grownup.

And you could get everything you needed in each neighborhood, from groceries to hardware. These days you have to drive to some huge strip mall for a nail. Oh, and you can't even buy one nail, but have to get a prepackaged assortment (grumble, grumble, mutter, complain) :)

Calla_Lily

i remember when the milkman delivered milk to our doorstep and left it in a tin, insulated box.

when there were only "real" christmas trees and the smell of pine in the house meant christmas week was finally here

i remember when a jumprope and a piece of chaulk for hopscotch could keep a kid busy for an afternoon

i remember when kids enjoyed being kids and did not rush to "grow up"

pixie stix (aka hyperactivity in a paper tube HA!)

i remember when 'willie wonka and the chocolate factory' first came out, "everlasting gobstoppers" candy were the rage

catching fireflies on a warm summer evening

'lite brite' was the IN toy of the year

when friday nights meant the brady bunch

robert kennedy and martin luther king jr. were shot

pixie stix (aka hyperactivity in a paper tube HA!)

hmm yes yes.. I remember those all too well :twisted: :D

Nero laughed

When I was a kid we couldn't get hyperactivity in a paper tube. We just had to do it all ourselves, like runnin around and stuff. :wink:

mouth brooder
When I was a kid we couldn't get hyperactivity in a paper tube. We just had to do it all ourselves, like runnin around and stuff. :wink:

I remember when recess was longer than fifteen minutes and hyperactivity got used up on the playground.

I remember when recess was longer than fifteen minutes and hyperactivity got used up on the playground.

Kickball. Every afternoon after lunch to burn away the sugar high from lunch. LOL. If it was raining then it was eraser tag or dodge ball. LOL.

Kickball! Dodgeball!!! Yessss!!!!!

(I imagine both would be considered far to hazardous for today's tender youth; kids could get mean in a dogeball game.)

I remember listening to radio dramas: Lights Out, The Shadow, etc.

I remember buying my first 45 rpm record (Alley Oop, much to my shame)

I remember saddle shoes and poodle skirts (ugh)

I remember DA haircuts and Butch Wax

I remember doing the Hokey Pokey

I remember playing a horrible wind instrument called a Tonette (mandatory musical education); no one could get a decent sound out of one of those. Sounded like something being slaughtered.

I remember playing a horrible wind instrument called a Tonette (mandatory musical education);

We called it a flute. Black plastic with holes in it for your fingers. I could play "Marry had a little lamb" and "Twinkle, Twinkle little star." LOL.

Believe it or not, in my small town, the kids still have to take that class. They call it a "Recorder" now. It don't record anything, its the same old flute we played just redesigned a little. LOL.

Nero laughed

Hey, I just found my recorder when I moved house a couple weeks ago. toot toot. They aren't xactly known for quality music, but they are easy to play and easy to teach theory on apparently.

:lol: I used to be the queen of the recorder! if you lean on that it is supposed to help with other intruments... at least wind ones

Calla_Lily

i remember when our city got the big 3 broadcast channels, abc, cbs, nbc and we thought it was a huge selection! those were also pre-remote control days! now if i'd be pissy without it for even a day.

i remember when we got one of the first polaroid cameras, the family would gather around and watch the picture "appear" and oooh and ahhh over it.

"slinky" what a concept! give a kid a wire coil spring to play with! (i still have mine in the original box, wonder what it's worth?! anyone wanna buy it?!)

i remember when the first "ken doll" came out. i still have mine.

We got our first TV when I was about nine it was a Bush and had a dial to change channels - except there was the BBC nothing else. I can remember broadcasts in the late afternoon/evening from about 4pm and it finished shortly after 10pm, the National Anthem was played and we watched the screen till the little dot in the centre of the screen disappeared.

I can't remember when ITV came into being, but it was a huge change from the ol' BEEB.

I can remember when Kennedy was assassinated and all we had all night was the revolving globe and periodically the announcer would say why there wouldn't be any broadcasts that night.

Then there was the first transmission from the USA via Telstar, the transmission was picked up from Goonhilly Downs and relayed from there. The picture was indistinct, and broke up frequently.

heh! Tan, I was at school when the kennedy shooting bit came through - what made a helluva lot more impact was word of a tsunami coming in- we were let off high school classes early - and, in common with literally thousands of other CHCH folk - rode our bikes down to the beach for a look...................!!!!!!!

The slinky was fun.

But the hula hoop was the rage!

Oh and remember those Cat Eye Glasses.

My sister had a pair of thoses and I think she has destroyed every picture of her wearing them. :D :D :D

I saw the Beatles at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1964.

Lizzie

:shock:

That is so cool. 8)

*is jealous*

Not quite in the same level as that, I did watch from not too far away Apollo 11 (the first to land on the moon) blast off from the launchpad in 1969. Our whole family drove to Florida for the occassion.

Wee_Little_Me
I remember when I was a young man, if we wanted running water for washing we would have to go down to the creek..........

Ive gotten my share of lectures (from eastern europeans). "That well was not just for water! That was a fridge! And if you wanted to have meat for the next week you'd lower it and keep it in the cold."

:roll:

All right, I know how to survive with a fridge. yay. I dont expect a massive economic collaps that requires me to use a well as a fridge.

Calla_Lily

hey ziffler, tell your sister to get her cat eye glasses out, they're back in style! meeeeeoooowwwww :lol:

"That well was not just for water! That was a fridge! And if you wanted to have meat for the next week you'd lower it and keep it in the cold."

My house still has a working well. And to be neat, there is a shed built into the house such that if you need to draw water from it, you simply go into this little room that juts out from the Hall, open a small door, and you can fetch water from it without actually going outside.

Indoor plumbing, of sorts. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when people were polite, mostly! (I'm having a rough time right now, at work with a non-polite individual I wrote about in Off-A.) Remember when people were civil to one another, and spoke quietly and acted civilized? Those were the real good old days!

Hoola hoops are becoming popular again - as people go through my checkout I often comment about remembering the first time they cam out.

Archived