I remember...

Nero laughed

mouth brooder

*being the smartass kid I would have been if I had been online as a smartass kid, "I remember when posting was done with a stick of charcoal on a rock."*

Seriously, I remember when if I couldn't find a confidante down the street or in the classroom or schoolyard or at a family reunion or at the YMCA, I was out of luck.

Calla_Lily

i remember captain kangaroo (mr. green jeans, bunny rabbit, dancing bear too! hehe),

postage stamps that were .13,

penny candy,

when AM radio was the only choice,

"twiggy",

when "laugh in" was considered cutting edge television,

the first models of cars that had electric windows, playing with them everytime i got into our car (yea, i'm STILL easily amused!).

Elizabeth I

In the beginning there was nothing but ROCKS......

Then somebody invented the wheel, and things REALLY started to ROLL...

Lizzie

oh my gosh... sorry I saw MR green and it reminded my of the Green Hornet... that show sooooo needs to be rerunned again

And ladies I remember when the YMCA was males only and we skinnydipped in the pool.

I remember the heavy Scwinn Bicycles.

Yellow rain coats.

Cartoon lunch boxes.

Catching fireflies.

Squishing honey bees between our hands.

I remember when the 4th grade teacher picked a kid up and held him against the wall with his feet dnagling in the air reading him the riot act.

I remember the assassination of President Kennedy.

I remember the Lone Ranger and Tonto, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

I remember computers being Science Fiction.

I remember when all the schools had Atomic-Bomb-Proof desks. The teachers would periodically have us do practice drills---hiding under our Atomic-Bomb-Proof desks. When Kennedy was shot the teachers all started crying, and told all of us class was dismissed and to go to the playground. There we were, a bunch of 8-yr-olds outside, terrified that since the President was dead the Russians were going to drop their nuclear weapons on us before we had a chance to get back into the classroom and hide under our Atomic-Bomb-Proof desks.

I still haven't figured out the hiding under the desk routine....what WERE they thinking :roll:

Tikva

Real gas stations.

Mom & Pop grocery stores.

Metal wheels on skateboards.

Kids that enjoyed being kids.

Playing outside till dark.

Hippies (God love 'em).

Sputnik.

Squishing honey bees between our hands.

I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee.. won't my mommy be so proud of me? :lol:

Anyone remember that song? :P

I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee... ouch it stung me ;)

Elizabeth I
Metal wheels on skateboards.

You mean the the ones that were literally a board nailed to an adjustable metal sidwalk skate? The ones that clamped on to your saddle-shoes using a key?

Lizzie

I remember the assassination of President Kennedy.

I remember the Lone Ranger and Tonto, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

I remember computers being Science Fiction.

Now you make me feel old..:)

I can remember doing a Geography lesson where it was stated..with absolute certainty..."The aeroplane will never replace the ocean liner for trans-atlantic travel".

I can remember the fuss made over Elvis Presley..and the Beatles were a "new act" that would never go anywhere..

The bank I worked for buying the first electronic calculator ..at a cosdt equal to the annual salary of an average employee..

Telephones where the switchboard operator had to get every number..not the user..

Oh yes..and when paying for something meant using cash and not a credit card.

roddy

This thread is so very, very comforting!

More stuff I remember:

Several ashtrays in every room of the house, and learning to smoke because it was expected and socially acceptable

Having to take Home Ec because I was a girl and not being able to take Shop or Drafting because I wasn't a boy

Using a Burroughs caluclator on my first job - it had about 120 keys and weighed half as much as I do

Great big 3 Musketeers bars that cost 5 cents

Thinking Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was pretty risque and cool

Great big 3 Musketeers bars that cost 5 cents

OH! OH! OH!

Remember the Powerhouse bar, it had to of been a foot long.

Remember Dreamsicles off the Ice Cream Truck?

Remember Coca Cola in little GLASS bottles, packed in Wooden crates.

Remember the wooden sling shots and 10 cent kites.

Marbles. Oh Ya, Marbles every day at recess.

The original black and white canvas converse sneakers.

I remember when all kids got measles and smallpoc vaccinations.

I remember my dad refusing to let us take the first batch of polio vacine that ended up infecting so many kids because it was too strong a doseage.

I remember watching Alan Shepard go up in the first space rocket at school.

I remember the hoola hoop.

I remember the twist, the frug, and the swim.

I remember having to learn to dance the waltz and the virginia reel in grade school with a girl as a partner.

I remember....

Perry Como on his Saturday show(I was a big fan)

Tennesse Ernie Ford and his show, ending with a hymn

Eddie Arnold

Nat King Cole

Not being able to play jacks

Hop scotch

Sweet_Sindelle

oooh oooh oooh I have one.

This might not be saying much but I remember when you could buy 1 cent sour candies.

You don't find them anymore

Elizabeth I
Nat King Cole

Wow....My Dad used to sing to me when I was little....He was a wonderful singer. A tenor. I remember one of the songs he used to sing to me was recorded by Nat "King" Cole......

"Please take me back to toyland,

Everyone's happy there ......"

Marbles. Oh Ya, Marbles every day at recess.

I loved playing marbles, and I won....... a lot!

I still have a big brandy snifter filled with them ....all different kinds.

So in the event that someone accuses me of losing my marbles ......

I know exactly where they are!

Lizzie

AKA Elizabeth I

"My Father's Daughter"

:wink:

I remember waking up as a kid and my biggest decision was whether I wanted to go swimming or ride my bike.

I remember when my parents could do no wrong.

I remember lacking social inhibition.

I remember the marvel of discovery.

I remember innocence.

I remember Smurfs.

I remember having only one TV channel, and that was in black and white... then when I was seven, we moved, and got something called "cable", which meant we had a whole bunch of channels -- SEVEN of them! (Although one of those was in French.)

I remember The Mighty Hercules cartoon show, with his sidekick Newton the Centaur, and the theme song sung by Johnny Nash. ("Hercules, hero of song ans story! Hercules, winner of ancient glory!")

m-herc.jpg

I remember The Friendly Giant and Chez Hélène, children's TV shows in Canada.

I remember watching Apollo 11 as it happened. (I was just over a year old when JFK was shot, so I don't remember that.)

I remember all the celebrations for Canada's centennial... barely. Mostly the Centennial flag (see below) and the song that we had (the one that started "Caaaa... naaa... daaaa... weeee love thee!").

ca_centl.jpg

Had a thought this AM. I wonder if any of you remember Sophie Tucker, The last of the Red Hot Mamas? I remember seeing her on TV when I was young. Black and white TV, of course.

omigawd, yes....music from my childhood..my dad was a huge fan. I remember listening to Jellyroll Morton in the 1950's, also a lot of now-forgotten jazz artists immortalized on 78 rpm records.

Anyone remember 78's? Or maybe 45's?

78's...I have quite a few here! And I do remember 45's. I had several when I was a teen. I have some, Jeanette McDonald and Nelson Eddy, and others that I can't at the moment remember.

I haven't brought this up in JFF since I didn't want to alarm any dwellers on the purple planet, but I distinctly remember that there was a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater singing on the radio when I was growing up!

He is probably still alive.

And lurking.

:shock:

-Greybird

Yes! I met him! I was wearing my

istsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini

that I wore for the first time today

istsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini

and in the water, I wanted to stay!

Aventually

Happy memory: Gas was 54 cents a gallon when I started driving.

Sad memory: Segregation, growing up in New Orleans. I was a little girl, couldn't read yet, and drank from the fountain marked, "Colored" instead of "White", in the grocery store. My mom had a fit and washed out my mouth, like I was gonna die or something! Crazy, huh? I'll never forget that.

Aventually

Oh, yeah, and I remember the day JFK died. My mom was watching the news on our black and white tv, crying her eyes out.

GreybirdI haven't brought this up in JFF since I didn't want to alarm any dwellers on the purple planet, but I distinctly remember that there was a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater singing on the radio when I was growing up!

He is probably still alive.

And lurking.

:shock:

-Greybird

ARGH! :shock:

And thanks Goons for telling me who JellyRoll Morton was. Me I love my parents record collection music was so much better before I was born.

Archived