I remember...

Nero laughed

Nero laughed

I remember when I was a young man, if we wanted running water for washing we would have to go down to the creek..........

Elizabeth I
I remember when I was a young man, if we wanted running water for washing we would have to go down to the creek..........

Hmmm....a bit before MY time, but that could be because I'm in the northeastern U.S....

I DO remember living in more than one home that did not have an indoor toilet.... It's a LONG WALK to the out house when it's pitch dark outside (and 20F )!

Lizzie

Nero laughed
I DO remember living in more than one home that did not have an indoor toilet.... It's a LONG WALK to the out house when it's pitch dark outside (and 20F )!

Lizzie

When I was a lad we had to dig our own holes. :wink:

I can remember the first televised pictures from the USA via Telstar, the signals were received at Goonhilly Downs and transmitted across teh UK

And the pictures from the moon, and I could go outside and look in amazement and think there were men looking back at earth...and do you remember the first pictures of earthrise from the moon.

Elizabeth I

I remember ....

My Dad using vacuum tubes to fix the B&W TV.....

A shiny new "Rambler" with wide white wall tires, tail fin fenders and a push-button transmission.....

Walking half a mile to school in snow with bare legs (girls had to wear skirts).....

When "Levittown" was miles and miles of unestablished lawns (mud) with new streets in between ....

Gasoline was 29 cents a gallon, and you got a drinking glass or steak knife free if you bought a full tank (or knew the attendant)

Lizzie in the Sky with Glasses (and steak knives)

:)

Nero laughed
I remember when Paul McCartney was a Beatle....

Lizzie

I remember when Handel and Bach were just starting music lessons....
Nero laughed

I love the Rambler.. My freind had one in Australia when I was 16 and it was old then. It was awesome.

This coud be a very long list, or maybe an ongoing string of posts. I remember:

Washing machines with a ringer on the top

Candy cigarettes

Roller skates with keys

Coonskin caps and hula hoops

Wax lips

Transistor radios

78's, 45's, LP's and mono records

Watching the first moon landing live on black n white tv

Paying 25 cents for a pack of cigarettes

Paying $10 for an ounce of fairly decent weed

Paying $1.50 to go to a concert at the Avalon Ballroom, featuring groups like the Grateful Dead, Big Brother, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Country Joe and the Fish all on the same bill

Paying nothing to see the same groups, playing for free in Golden Gate Park on Sunday afternoon

and a whole lot else that will come back to me as soon as I post this.

You bet it's a cool thread. We didn't have threads like this when I was a kid. Why, the only thread we had was for mending socks. :lol:

Let's see now, I remember... my first sight of a TV set, a very tiny screen in a big box; gas at .35 a gallon; Elvis when he first came on the scene; bread at .10 a loaf, then going up to .25; the Beatles first coming to America, then being on Ed Sulivan; Elvis' first appearance on Ed Sulivan and the rucus that stirred up because of the way he danced to his music.

Also remember living In Bad Axe MI, and Post mag taking a pic of the boys with their brightly colored slacks. Let's see, there was charteuse, red, blue, maybe bight pink. I'm not sure what else.

HannaWyLady

postal codes (Denver 21, Colo)

watching the NBC Peacock in living Color for the first time

Rotary dial phones where if you left the phone off the hook an operator would notice it and send the local cop to your house to see if you were ok!

Moving from an 8' X 48' trailer to a 10' X 59' one and everyone thinking that was a HUGE house.

Buying a new 1971 Datsun and having to make payments on it for 3 years because it cost so much-a whole whopping $1900.00

being one of 2 women in the US crazy enough to drive a midget race car

Nero laughed
Gasoline was 29 cents a gallon, and you got a drinking glass or steak knife free if you bought a full tank (or knew the attendant)
But wait, there's more......... :lol:
Nero laughed

I remember when they invented wireless radio... those were the days when there was no rap or stuff like that around....... ah, joy. :D

I remember when you had to watch a show when it was on, or else you missed it... and if there were two shows you wanted to watch that were on at the same time, you had to miss one of them. And worst of all, you had to go up to the TV set to change channels. :lol:

Nero laughed

Awww gawd, I forgot about that - the having to go up to the Tv to turn the knob and change station. I remember when I was about 14 or so a friend of mine inventing the first 'remote control' - a pool cue with an extra bit of timber taped to it because he had a push button TV. :lol:

I remembered some more stuff:

The Fuller Brush Man

Bread trucks

Milk delivered to your door every morning in glass bottles

Diaper pails (not a happy memory...)

Doctors making house calls

Petti-pants and camisoles

Saddle shoes

Tooth powder

Gear shifts on steering wheels, side curtains and whitewall tires

I remember...

Trampolines stretched over holes in the ground were a type of lo-budget public amusement park. (Had personal injury lawyers not been invented yet?)

Milk was sold from vending stations on certain street corners.

A package of Hostess cupcakes cost 7 cents.

I got 10 cents a week for an allowance, and it was PLENTY!

Walking to school, and the only danger was in crossing the streets.

Our first TV having a small semi-round screen, and of course it was black and white. (Although I always thought it looked greenish.)

My favorite TV shows were "Fury" and "My Friend Flicka", but I also watched "Rin Tin Tin", "Sky King" and "Whirlybirds"

Seeing news reports about the launching of Sputnik.

Playing outside with other kids for entertainment, and tolerantly being allowed to borrow tools to build things like go-carts and treehouses with my friends.

Vandalism cosisted of wrapping a house with TP.

Fizzies!

I could go on and on ....

-Greybird

I remember ... when I was a kid I liked riding the back of the horses pulling the plough. Before starting at school I used to make the milkman company on his round. His job was to fetch cows milk from the farmers and take it to the dairy. The filled bottles weighing around 50kg were manually loaded on the horse driven carriage. Next day that farmers got the bottles back, some with whey which was used for food for the livestock along with other delicious stuff. I never walked to school but rode my bicycle. But it was only 2 miles between home and school. To us the americans were the people in the westerns of John Ford. I have since then reviewed that image :)

i remember the first computer i used when i was 5 (the schools started us young). it was an original mac computer designed for home use. the screen was black with green lettering, and floppy disks were bigger than my hand. i also remember having to take out floppy disks midway through a program and either having to turn them over or insert a second one to continue the program.

That reminds me of the first time I ever used (er ... well, tried to use) a computer.

It was at one of the more progressive schools that I briefly attended as our family moved all over the US.

There was one "computer room" which had (I think) about half a dozen terminals, and each computer math class got to spend one hour a week in there. "Computer" math was a one semester add-on to regular math and I just happened to be there at the right time to catch a couple of weeks of it right at the end of the term.

The "computers" were really just terminals that connected to a main computer located someplace else, the data was encoded on what looked like long, thick paper tape with holes in it, and I remember that one of the reasons our time was so limited was that it was very expensive to buy time on the main computer.

I don't think I did very well in that course, although I don't recall actually failing it. I was having a hard time making sense of basic programming because it was totally unlike anything I had seen up until that point, and then we moved again before I ever really caught on. No other school that I attended after that had anything remotely similar.

It was around '68 or '69, in Oklahoma.

-GB

I remember a time when we didnt have to lock our homes or our cars, and there were not a lot of people in my small town..

I remember having one store for everything, and the smell of it.

blah, I hate changes :(

The 'Bay of Pigs' affair, and for three days we didn't know if we were going to wake up the next day, or if the bombs had landed. And lihtning hitting our school during it, and we really did think the bombs had landd.

Nero laughed

Greybird wrote:

Playing outside with other kids for entertainment,

gawd, I was never home. Always playing with the neighbourhood kids- riding bikes and making tree swings, swimming in the river and fishing and camping. Also ball games, hiding seek, and a heap of other stuff like that. I remember making our own storm raider helmets (star wars) out of paper mache and running around with sling shots. :wink:

Original post was about running water?

I was born at home in my grandmothers pantry, which my mom was using as a bedroom while my dad was in Korea fighting. No water in the house. We had a hand pump in the front yard. Out house in the back yard. I lived in that house again when I went to high school, by then we had an electric pump on the well, so we had running water in the house, but still had to use the outhouse, because no inside bathroom. I remember taking baths in a washpail. We even have pictures of my twin brothers taking a bath in a number 10 washtub.

First house was a 25 foot airstream trailer.

I moved alot growing up, dad in military. Every school I went to I walked to, until high school.

Bay of pigs, and cuban missle crisis, my dad was there, and we were waiting at home to find out if he was coming back.

First TV was a Philco B&W. It lasted a month, and my dad returned it for another, it lasted for a month and he returned it and it lasted for a month and he returned it, for over a year we did that. My job was changing channels and being the antenea. I would stand beside the TV and hold the rabbit ears just right so my dad could watch his show with as little static as possible. Remember aluminum foil on rabbit ears to help reception?

My fav show was Mickey Mouse Club. I had a huge crush on Annette Funichello. Remember Zorro and Davy Crockett. I had a coon skin cap and a complete zorro outfit with rubber sword.

Out of the night,

When the full moon is bright,

Comes the horseman known as Zorro.

This bold renegade

Carves a "Z" with his blade,

A "Z" that stands for Zorro.

I was born at home too, the National Health Service is a few months older than me. The doctor was in church at the time and had to make his way through a snowstorm. The church in which I was baptised (St Barnabas, IOM) became a furniture waehouse and later burnt down. Apparently my mum didn't know she was pregnant and was given allsorts of drugs after suffering a thrombosis.

Thanks to my dad, I have a natural immunity to smallpox (he was in close contact with a family who died of it and didn't contravt it)

For some reason, I also have low blood pressure, a slow pulse (and I don't train) and a hyperactive immune system.

I was born at home too, the National Health Service is a few months older than me.

I was born at home because no one believed my mom when she said it was time, and then when I started appearing they couldn't get the car to start. So, walla! I was here. :D :D :D

Then when they did get me to the hospital, I wasn't allowed in the nursury because I might contaminate the other kids. That was the first time I felt rejection, different, odd, wierd. :D :D :D :D

They wouldn't even give me a birth certificate. Instead I got a registration of birth.

I recently (rejoined) Tesco, they asked for a 'full' birth ceritficate. In all my 57 years, I've never had one, paper was still in short supply in 1949, and all you were given was a shoretened form. So I replied that the short form has served me well, has been acceptable to all my employers, including the Civil Service and Tesco Ltd the first time around. I am awaiting the outcome.

they asked for a 'full' birth ceritficate.

If you live in the U.S.A. and you know where you were born, you can apply to that states Board of Health, and they will send you a Birth Certificate for a minimal fee.

Even though No birth Certificate was issued to me when I was born, just a registration of Birth, I now have Certified Birth Certificates that my state's board of health issued for me through that process.

Archived