Asexual Aromantic Marriage

nrose

I recently came to the conclusion that I'm both asexual and aromantic, but the one thing that was making me question that conclusion was my desire to get married. I knew that it obviously wouldn't be a traditional marriage. It wouldn't include things like sex or romantic attraction. My ideal marriage would be a roommate (separate bedrooms of course) who would go out and do stuff with me occasionally like shopping or maybe even vacationing with them. After thinking about that for a bit, I realized I was basically describing what it's like to have a close sibling. I'm definitely too young to look for anything like that right now, but in the future that would be my ideal partnership. Basically just a permanent best friend. Do any of you guys relate to this or ever think about a partnership like that? Am I looking for something impossible/crazy?

I too like the idea of living with a permanent best friend, as you described. And I am sure there are many people like that here.

I definitely relate. I'm lucky to have a best friend who I talk with pretty much every day and who I can go on holiday with. I did say to him a little while back, 'If you don't end up getting married, can we live together when we're older?'. He said 'Yes'. YAY! I'd love to live in a house of friends, but they all seem to be getting paired up/married & having children.

It is possible to find what you're looking for though :) 

• 3 weeks later...

What you're describing sounds like my ideal relationship (committed but non-sexual and non-romantic), although realistically it may be quite difficult to find a compatible partner who wants a similar arrangement.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:04 AM, nrose said:

I recently came to the conclusion that I'm both asexual and aromantic, but the one thing that was making me question that conclusion was my desire to get married. I knew that it obviously wouldn't be a traditional marriage. It wouldn't include things like sex or romantic attraction. My ideal marriage would be a roommate (separate bedrooms of course) who would go out and do stuff with me occasionally like shopping or maybe even vacationing with them. After thinking about that for a bit, I realized I was basically describing what it's like to have a close sibling. I'm definitely too young to look for anything like that right now, but in the future that would be my ideal partnership. Basically just a permanent best friend. Do any of you guys relate to this or ever think about a partnership like that? Am I looking for something impossible/crazy?

Damn, u read my diary or something? Cuz thats exactly what I want. Gosh. its so hard to find lifelong roomates with my own bedroom and all. Its not really impossible, cuz I read an artocle where heterosexual married couples have their own seperate rooms and sleeps seperate due to their difference in work schedules and that they have their own space.

But, getting somene who will agree to that can be very hard, if not impossible.

I am ....well, I think mildly romantic--like cuddling and sharing a bed fully clothed but no kissing--but I would love a committed, non-sexual relationship and even though I am 'mildly romantic' I would be really happy with a no-cuddles committed relationship too!

Like, I mean I sometimes lean on my brothers' when we're just hanging out or I had to share a bed with one of my sisters in law because there weren't enough beds/cots/cushions for everyone to have seperate beds. We def didn't cuddle XD but it wasn't awkward or weird feeling either. Wasn't our first choice but *shrugs* when there's twelve people and three beds you gotta share! hehe

A travel buddy, someone to live with and go to events or the aquarium sometimes? Sounds perfect to me!

Its not impossible.  It sounds a bit like what I have now actually (although mine is far from ideal).  16 years, can barely remember how we got together.  I guess I had some romantic notions in my head when I was younger.  We both live on different continents, she comes over every so often, we travel a bit and do stuff.  She is a sexual though and hopes my asexuality will stop being a barrier one day.  I'm very much one of the sex repulsed ones though so not going to happen.

Anyway yes I'm sure you can have those things you talk about once you meet the right person :)

Archived