Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telecaster68

What sexuals are really thinking

Perkins
Just now, Homer said:

I've witnessed it. It is very much a thing.

That's just too wrong to me. Leave them, yeah if it came to that. But to cheat on them? So not okay.

JDP
2 minutes ago, Gleep said:

Incorrect. Love has everything to do with it. And there is a requirement of intimacy and endorphin enhanced connection that most humans need. We feel duty and honor to our partners to be with them, but there are needs that are not being met inside the relationship.

This seems contradictory. If you truly love someone, you don't sunder an otherwise working relationship for the sake of endorphins.

Telecaster68

If you truly love someone, you don't sunder an otherwise working relationship for the sake of endorphins.

When one partner is miserable because of a lack in that relationship, it's not a working relationship.

JDP
1 minute ago, Telecaster68 said:

Well, obviously, if their asexual partner has unilaterally decided that's no longer part of the relationship.

What if it's not a decision? Desire is not a matter of will.

JDP

When one partner is miserable because of a lack in that relationship, it's not a working relationship.

Hence the truth of passion and commitment being mutually exclusive.

Telecaster68

What if it's not a decision? Desire is not a matter of will.

Short of outright repulsion, there's a choice being made by the asexual to withdraw all sexuality from the relationship.

Since desire isn't a matter of will, why are sexuals supposed to be fine knowing theirs will always be frustrated in a relationship?

Homer
1 minute ago, asexjoe said:

No matter how often you might want to repeat it, it's still nonsense.

Telecaster68
Just now, asexjoe said:

If the passion and commitment is mutual, there's no contradiction. Both sexual partners can be passionate about each other, and committed to each other. 

JDP
8 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

'I don't see why not' sounds like a convenient line of thinking based on nothing at all, with the benefit of relieving asexual partners of any responsibility for their partner's happiness.

No one is directly responsible for another's happiness. One is responsible for his/her own.

Have you been married 30 or 40 years, Telecaster?

Perkins
2 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Short of outright repulsion, there's a choice being made by the asexual to withdraw all sexuality from the relationship.

Sex in a relationship is always a choice, regardless of the participants sexuality. 

Telecaster68

Have you been married 30 or 40 years, Telecaster?

No one is directly responsible for another's happiness. One is responsible for his/her own.

It's fair to expect your life partner to do what they can to make you happy, and avoid what will make you miserable.

JDP
Just now, Homer said:

No matter how often you might want to repeat it, it's still nonsense.

Suit yourself. Divorce rates are highest in societies that ascribe great value to sexual intimacy.

The grass on the other side looks greenest to those who can't stand a little brown grass.

JDP
1 minute ago, Perkins said:

Sex in a relationship is always a choice, regardless of the participants sexuality. 

Exactly. There is a word describing forcing someone to have sex against his/her will. What is it, again?

Perkins

It's fair to expect your life partner to do what they can to make you happy, and avoid what will make you miserable.

That's a two way street. If having sex frequently makes you happy but your partner unhappy then that makes it imbalanced. 

JDP
2 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

I sincerely wish you luck with that.

Telecaster68
Just now, asexjoe said:

Exactly. There is a word describing forcing someone to have sex against his/her will. What is it, again?

Which is why sexuals on here never, ever coerce their partners. Asexuals might feel pressure, but they still have a choice. All they have to do is say 'no' and they get their choice - no sex. 

On the other hand, pretty much all the sexuals on here have had any choice about having sex taken out of their control, unless they leave the relationship.

There isn't a word for that.

JDP
5 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

If the passion and commitment is mutual, there's no contradiction. Both sexual partners can be passionate about each other, and committed to each other. 

Both, in perpetuity?

Is passion simply an act of volition, or is it something else?

Gleep

Hey, we get it. Something that we feel feeds our sanctuary of the relationship, feeds our love for our partner and ourselves is equal to the abject degradation of rape. That's why you win.

Telecaster68
2 minutes ago, Perkins said:

That's a two way street. If having sex frequently makes you happy but your partner unhappy then that makes it imbalanced. 

Exactly, and (rightly) 'no sex' trumps 'sex, please', so the imbalance is ultimately always in the asexual's favour.

Telecaster68
3 minutes ago, asexjoe said:

I sincerely wish you luck with that.

Someone who remarried purely because they wanted a mother for their children probably isn't a great authority on supportive relationships.

Homer
1 minute ago, Perkins said:

That's what Tele said.

Suit yourself. Divorce rates are highest in societies that ascribe great value to sexual intimacy.

The grass on the other side looks greenest to those who can't stand a little brown grass.

In what way is this related to commitment vs passion? Your argument was that these two are "mutually exclusive". This is simply not a general truth, even though your personal experiences might be different.

One, there are a lot of married couples with a passionate sex life. Two, there are other ways to show passion in a relationship; sex isn't the only way.

Gleep

We don't want it either if it feels rapey. If it feels like we are a burden, like you're just "going through the motions to shut us up". I described pretty well what I'm after with sex. And there's a lot more about emotional connections and intimacy and feelings than there is about rubbing slimy bits.

Perkins
3 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Exactly, and (rightly) 'no sex' trumps 'sex, please', so the imbalance is ultimately always in the asexual's favour.

My statement could apply to sexual/sexual couples too

Telecaster68

Can we get back the insights please? I was (for once) trying to be constructive.

JDP

Oh, I don't pretend to be an expert on anything.

If passion in a marriage is that important, and represents a reasonable expectation, you certainly would not object to a prenuptial agreement specifying what the parties will do when sexual desire is absent, for whatever reason, in the marriage.

Gleep
Just now, asexjoe said:

If passion in a marriage is that important, and represents a reasonable expectation, you certainly would not object to a prenuptial agreement specifying what the parties will do when sexual desire is absent, for whatever reason, in the marriage.

It isn't passion. It isn't even in the same time zone as passion. It's intimacy.

JDP
2 minutes ago, Homer said:

there are a lot of married couples with a passionate sex life. Two, there are other ways to show passion in a relationship; sex isn't the only way.

Yes, there are, but they're not eligible for Medicare.

True, there are different types of passion, but it's sex the folks on the dead bedroom sites are complaining about, people in their sixties complaining about lack of sexual desire.

When I married, my primary goal was to have a partner in life that would grow old with me. I never for a minute assumed she would either be available for sex or even want it well into old age.

Telecaster68

That would make sense. The reason it's not standard is that sexual desire is the norm, and hence expected.

JDP
2 minutes ago, Gleep said:

It isn't passion. It isn't even in the same time zone as passion. It's intimacy.

How would you define intimacy in legal terms?

Telecaster68

When I married, my primary goal was to have a partner in life that would grow old with me. I never for a minute assumed she would either be available for sex or even want it well into old age.

You expected her to be part of 1% of the population in other words. Reasonable expectation?