New Project Team member needed: Dedicated Research Contact: Nominations

Kelly

We are now taking nominations for a PT member for the office of Dedicated Research Contact.

The Project Team is in charge of visibility projects on AVEN. For more information about what the Project Team does, please see this link:

http://avenpt.tumblr.com/projectteam

Possible Project Team activities include:

- dealing with AVEN's media and research requests,

- managing resources,

- giving help to others with their visibility projects.

All PT positions have a duration of 2 years. If anyone steps down in that time, a new election will be held and the replacement will have a new term of 2 years.

The office that we are presently in need of is:

Dedicated Research Contact

Responsibilities: The primary responsibilities of this position are to coordinate with researchers wanting to recruit research participants from AVEN, and to implement AVEN's policies for researchers. Responsibilities include briefing other members of the PT as to the research responsibilities of the PT; acting as the default mediator between the PT and any researcher who wishes to recruit from AVEN; starting votes on research requests, or ensuring that another PT member does this; be responsible for overseeing updates to the research policy, as and when appropriate.

Requirements: The DRC must have a familiarity with the existing research literature on the subject of asexuality and a sound grasp of the field of online research ethics. The DRC must be able to coordinate with researchers of a wide variety of views on various issues. Ideally, the DRC should have or be in the last year of obtaining a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant field (i.e., a field that involves research with human subjects), but exceptions may be made for candidates with otherwise outstanding qualifications.

If you think that you would be an awesome AVEN Project Team Member, please throw you hat, turnip, whatever, in here.

Eligibility rules include: a person must have been a member for at least 6 months, and have at least 100 posts that are not in the Just For Fun or Welcome Area forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. The eligibility criteria for PT are precisely the same as that for an Admod. A bio is required by voting time. Election rules are here:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/90514-rules-and-procedure-for-elections/

You can run for only one office at a time.

This is the timeline for this election:

Thursday, 17 August 2017 to Thursday, 24 August 2017: Nominations.

Thursday, 24 August to Sunday, 27 2017: Dedicated Q&A period.

Sunday, 27 August to Sunday, 3 September: 2017: Voting!

This is by far the best elected role AVEN has to offer. I would have preferred to cling to it for a long time. You get to see brand new research on asexuality long before it gets published, and I've always enjoyed communicating with the researchers as well.

So why did I swap out of this role then? There is one catch: at certain times it gets very busy, in particular when student requests come in. By the very nature of student assignments there is often not much time between starting to recruit participants and submitting the work, which means if our approval process is too slow, we risk ruining somebody's research. On the other hand we need to make sure that things like confidentiality and other ethical considerations are being properly considered.

The timing of this election is not entirely random - with the start of the new academic year coming up, we wanted to make sure that the new member of the PT has a chance to familiarise themselves with the role before the next wave of requests comes rolling in.

I think a lot of people on AVEN really appreciate the opportunities to take part in research on asexuality, so this is a very important role to the community. The PT folks are pretty awesome in my experience, and really supportive. Good luck to those who run. :cake:

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Throws in Huckleberry mead....

Hell, why not. I announce my wish to become a PT member. I'm an engineering student in the (sixth form). I'm a policy researcher at pirate party UK, uh yeah realised I was ace about a year ago. uh yeah, I stand :)

Good luck to everyone running! :D I know a lot of us enjoy the chance to take part in the research opportunities that get posted.

6 hours ago, Tasty said:

I'm an engineering student in the (sixth form).

Hmm, as much as I appreciate your interest, I'm not quite sure if you fit the formal requirements. I'll bring it up with the team and see what others think.

Ideally, the DRC should have or be in the last year of obtaining a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant field (i.e., a field that involves research with human subjects), but exceptions may be made for candidates with otherwise outstanding qualifications.

EDIT: Tfw you post before you had enough coffee. I was so focused on the qualification bit that I didn't remember this:

Eligibility rules include: a person must have been a member for at least 6 months, and have at least 100 posts that are not in the Just For Fun or Welcome Area forums. You also cannot run with an active, current, warning. The eligibility criteria for PT are precisely the same as that for an Admod.

Archived