Coming out?

shinyinternetalpaca

shinyinternetalpaca

So I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not. 

I have never felt the need to define my sexuality to anyone other than myself, so I have never come out about any aspect of it to anyone. It does mean that people assume I am straight, which I just let slide. What have other experiences been with coming out, or not? Honestly I can't imagine coming out to people other than maybe a couple of friends and 'partners'.

:cake:

• Like 1

The two people I've come out to have been pretty ok with my asexuality (my gender is a whole other story). One was just like, "Oh, ok. That's cool. By the way, I heard Dr. Sanders was subbing again." The other asked what that meant and then had a very similar reaction.

• Like 1

I came out to my family and friends a couple of months back (21 male here). Although some reactions were more positive than others (some were very negative), overall I feel happy to have done it. My country is more conservative than most, but there was a lot of gossip and a couple of rumors around me regarding my sexuality so it was quite liberating to get past that. The most important thing I got out of this was having people to talk about it and joke about it. Before that it felt very taboo to even hint it.

• Like 2

i honestly keep telling myself that i am going to come out this year, and then the year passes and i am still fully "in the closet". so i guess i am just not ready yet if i keep holding back. half of the time i keep thinking it's none of other people's business unless they are interested in me. if i ever did come out, it would be by wearing an ace pride shirt or something to that effect. i'm slowly coming out non-verbally i guess...i'm wearing my ace pride ring everywhere i go now soo...it's baby steps for me. 

shinyinternetalpaca

I know my grandparents wouldn't approve/understand. Basically if it isn't a nice, normal hetero relationship, it shouldn't be allowed. And they want great grand children. Which they are not getting from me unless I adopt or something. My parents wouldn't care, and I can't see it being an issue with any of my friends, but it's just never been anything I have been inclined to share.

Anomaly Q3Xr

I came out to my closest friends and most of my immediate family a few years back.  Also, a read of my social network profiles will tell someone I am asexual (and panromantic), and if asked what it means I will tell people.  Most reactions have been fairly neutral, though my youngest brother said I will never find a partner if I don't have sex (I long for a partner to share my life with).  I was also blocked by at least one person on Facebook because of a status that mentioned my asexuality.  Their loss though, not mine.  My closest friends and family, my mum in particular, have been very supportive.  In fact, until a few years ago me and my mum rarely spoke, and since I opened up to her about my past, and who I am today, we have gotten incredibly close, and now talk every day.

• Like 1

I also let the straight assumption slide. It feels easier to deal with than saying something. But in the long run, it becomes a stretched out lie. You have to keep pretending and being someone your'e not. I can tell this to myself but I still can't do it. I can't stand the thought of someone saying how weird I am behind my back cause of it :( Maybe one day.