Does anyone have a "Ace Anthem"?

Beaver Boy

verymelancholic

Is there even a song from the 80s that's remotely an ace anthem?

Not all the lyrics bear it up, but since I started identifying as ace I've had a special fondness for Meatloaf's I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) XD

Not so much the praying to the god of sex and drugs and rock'n'roll, more the 'sooner or later you'll be screwing around/ I won't do that' sort of thing...

Here's a few...

Splendid Isolation - Warren Zevon

Unlovable - Babybird

We Don't Want Your Body - Stars

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles (with extra stress on that 'if' there ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
German User

Every Kraftwerk song about love.

That would be "The Model" (For anyone understanding german, the original), a song about infatuation and aesthetic atraction as well as rationalization of looks and relationships.

as well as "Computer Love" (original) which just cuts out the human and aesthetic aspect and talks about online dating, love of objects and despair.

Oh, and there are "The Robots" (original). Not so much about sexuality and love but I thought, if the Ace comunity has to fight the image of being unemotional robots...

• 1 month later...

"Myself" by Bazzi (it's such a good song and it gives me asexual vibes; what's not to love!)

also "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You," but I discovered that through this thread, so.

On 6/7/2019 at 4:31 AM, Strange_Charms said:

Never Been in Love- Will Jay

My personal anthem!! 

Don't mean to rain on your happiness 

but i'm alone with no loneliness 

Gets me every time. Not to mention that it's an absolute bob. 

I love all the mentions of 'I'm Happy Just to Dance with You'. Whether or not it's meant to be about asexuality, it's so upbeat and positive about not wanting to do anything more than dance, and it acknowledges that just wanting to dance can still be love. 

On a slightly less serious note, Victoria Wood's 'Ballad of Barry and Frieda' ('Let's Do It'). Because being ace is like being a Barry in a world of Friedas. 

Honestly the first thing that comes to mind is Firework by Katy Perry. Even though she isn’t the first choice in music usually.

And recently Beautiful People by Ed Sheeran [feat Khalid].

I am sure there are plenty of others but they elude me at the moment.

andreas1033

For me, my asexual anthem is, and always will be

Nirvana - Stay Away

"Monkey see, moneky do

Rather be dead then cool

Stay away, stay awayyyyy"

Great words for an asexual.

I’m aro/ace, but ironically, my anthem isn’t even almost aro/ace. “Be Glad I Love You (Go To Bed)” by Bug Hunter. It’s not the kind of music I usually listen to. I love taking the lyrics out of context, ignoring the parts about kissing, and pretending they’re in a queerplatonic relationship instead (also I’m a bit of a flirt, so....figure that one out.) There’s one lyric that gets me every time because i want it so badly: “if Snapchat is to flirt, and Tinder to find love, we’re out here snapping Polaroids, just to shake things up...”

It reminds me of something i read about QPRs one time, that if you picture a sexual relationship as a queen bed and romance as candlelit dinner for two, the queerplatonic could be bunk beds with fairy lights and a string/can phone connecting them. 

• 1 year later...
sᴜɴғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ

A-Okay, by Adam Winney. It's an amazing song! Here's the link: 

TheNostalgicAce

Not 80's but I like "I Disagree" by Poppy. It's skirting on the edgy? side of music, but I really like it.  Although the song is not intended as an ace anthem, I find many lyrics that I vibe with. 

I disagree with the way you keep preaching insanity ................................ The preached insanity being: The virgin shaming and the needing to "fix" asexuals...OR how aces might consider the constant talk and hyping of sex to be insanity because we ourselves don't necessarily relate.

I disagree with all of the reasons you're mad at me..............Not being accepted or being shamed for being asexual              

Down, let it all burn down
Burn it to the ground
We'll be safe and sound
When it all burns down 
............................. At Anti LGBTQIA+ people, and those who feel the need to worry about others sex lives

I disagree with the way you continue to pressure me ........Societal or Family/Friend pressures to conform to the "social norm" or even Virgin shaming

That's just a few of the lyrics, but I recommend giving it a listen. Her music style is certainly not for everyone, so I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmX4S-Bm50U

SunlitMoonlight

She's VERY not asexual, but Halsey's Gasoline.  Especially this part:

"Do the people whisper 'bout you on the train like me?
Saying that you shouldn't waste your pretty face like me?

And all the people say
You can't wake up, this is not a dream
You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen
Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline
I think there's a flaw in my code
These voices won't leave me alone
Well my heart is gold and my hands are cold."
Also, I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, by the Beatles.
"I don't wanna kiss or hold your hand
If it's funny try and understand
There is really nothing else I'd rather do
'Cause I'm happy just to dance with you
I don't need to hug or hold you tight
I just wanna dance with you all night
In this world there's nothing I would rather do
'Cause I'm happy just to dance with you"
Other ones because my ace song playlist is freaking HUGE:
  •  Take A Hint, Victorious Cast
  • D&D + Asexuality, Skull Puppies
  • Let Me Be Myself, 3 Doors Down
  • Machine, Misterwives

Anyway, i hope you like these!

TheNostalgicAce

Great choice of lyrics!  Off topic here, but I've never heard of Skull Puppies before and now cannot get over what a friggin awesome band name that is lol

• 2 weeks later...
Sagittarius A*

I like I Stand Alone from the movie Quest for Camelot as a kind of aroace anthem. I don't think the character who sings it is asexual, but the lyrics work pretty well for someone happy to be alone.

I always thought "This is Home" by Cavetown was an Asexual song. Particularly, the first segment sounds like an aroace feeling different or uncomfortable... and the last part about society's views on aro/aces being strange and "monsters" ( thinking it's not human to not feel romantic or sexual attraction), but that it's totally ok.

There's a couple different versions of this song, all sound lovely. Definitely not 80s though.

Artistbikerfarmer

Ace in the hole. Sung ofcourse by the incomparable Ella.

I have many, but the current one I'm listening to again is Stereo by Anna Abreu. Technically it's about not being able to fall in love after a breakup, I think... But it had a whole different meaning to me as a teen (just never realized why I related to the song so much) 😁

I have said everything I wanted to say
I've done all that's in my power to do right now
But still I seem to get in a way of myself
So shoot me while I'm walking away
And stop the pain I feel in my heart somehow
Taken all I the think I can take
I'm in hell
I don't wanna be your friend
But baby don't let me go
You know it's coming to an end
When you turn on the radio, radio, radio o-oh
My stereo don't play lovesongs at all,
My stereo don't play lovesongs at all,
My stereo don't play lovesongs at all, at all, at all, at all, no-o

Cast Walkaway and nirvanas stay away are my two fav asexual anthems

Both represent how i feel about others coming near me, and always have done.

When i was in sixth form at school, i remember using nirvanas stay away song, to brainwash myself, into wishing to be alone forever. Glad that came to be.

Nirvana nevermind came out just as i was in sixth form, and i am glad. It tapped into an anger inside me, and how i was glad i would be asexual, lol

Not really an ace anthem, but when I told about my lone experience kissing a girl, Katy Perry's song, I Kissed A Girl comes to mind. In my case the lyrics are "I kissed a girl and I didn't like it"

Phantasmal Fingers

"Oh you forward man - not in front of baby!", as performed in the film Champagne Charlie. 

• 3 weeks later...
ellunar_eclipse

The song I most connect with asexuality that I've heard is Body by Jordan Suaste. It's also been known as an anthem for those who have survived sexual assault, and I don't want to take that away from them, but I feel like it's fair to let the song be a shared anthem, as there are many asexuals who are sexual assault survivors. We are more than our bodies, and I wish that the rest of society could understand that.

I also think of You Don't Know by Faouzia (check out the 'Stripped Version', it's so much better) because as an asexual living in a hyper-sexual society they really don't know how deeply we can love others and what we're truly like. They judge us based on our sexual orientation without truly knowing us, who we are, or what we're like as people.

Those are the only two that I could think of at the time. I kinda wish we had an official one, like how bisexuals have Sweater Weather and lesbians have literally anything from Girl in Red. I'm glad they have their own anthems. I just wish we had one too. I feel like it really connects a community to have a song that everyone can relate to in a way and that gives them ace vibes.

Purple Wanderer

Smash by the Offspring!  Yeah its about doing your own thing and not asexuality specifically but I vibe on in. 

"Head over heels I've fit in before
Now I don't want to do it no more
I just want to be who I want to be
Guess that's hard for others to see"

• 3 weeks later...

Hello by Dragonnette / Martin Solveig - it's not 80s but my taste in music sometimes changes.

https://youtu.be/RxWpsUiAxL8

I've always liked the so-called "friendzone" (the term basically always gets used in a misogynistic way but friends are great even if you are allo)

alwaysteatime

Nobody before me said One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head???

"You're talking to a tourist whose every move's among the purest; I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine!"

All about a chess player who doesn't want any of the salacious sexiness offered to them in that city. And it's very 80s.

Not really an ace song but it's how I interpret it regarding my own aceness but Doja Cat - Boss Bitch.

I ain't tryna
I ain't tryna
I ain't tryna
Yeah, ain't tryna be cool like you
Wobblin' around in your high heel shoes
I'm clumsy, made friends with the floor

The not trying to be like the cool ppl aka the majority of the sexual world who want to make us feel like we aren't normal like them.

I don't wanna go, go, go with the flow.

Wrist full of rocks and I hope I float
Big up yourself 'cause you know they don't

Big Up can mean anything along the lines of love yourself or give yourself props cause you know they don't ie. The mainstream media, netflix, allosexuals (unless they have ace spouses, met aces or are on this site) will not validate you in this world so you have to have hold your head high and keep going.

I'm a bitch, I'm a boss
I'm a bitch and a boss, Imma shine like gloss

Cause I damn well am. After I had to deal with ignorance, being laughed at, told all kinds of bs I still have my confidence as an ace.
I am educated, I can think for myself, I have accolades as an Kathak dancer and I speak 2 languages if you are going to reduce me to where my genitalia has been. Sorry. 
MakeupJunkie4
On 8/6/2017 at 10:33 AM, Beaver Boy said:

And that reminded me of the time I finally realized Mambo No 5 was a sexual song.

SAME! I used to do all types of dance and that song was PERFECT for routines - now I just have the instrumental version ready when I choreograph for my students. LOL

***Sorry - just realized I'm quoting you 3 years later....I should have read the date! 🤣

Archived