Does anyone have a "Ace Anthem"?

Beaver Boy

MakeupJunkie4
On 8/15/2020 at 2:24 PM, SunlitMoonlight said:

Take A Hint, Victorious Cast

YAAAAAAASSSSS!!!!

MakeupJunkie4

My ace anthem is "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World

I just NOW saw the music video and....I gotta say, it's an interesting twist. Especially from an ace standpoint. ;)  Don't watch it if underwear bothers you, though! Lol

For me I gotta say diamond and a tether by death cab for cutie. It was wild hearing it and connecting to it so hard because it is..softer than the music I'm really into. I'm glad I found it though. It gets me kinda weepy though. Here's the lyrics:

1. Death Cab For Cutie - A Diamond and a Tether Lyrics
    4:00

Death Cab For Cutie - A Diamond and a Tether L…

24K views · May 8, 2012

YouTubePurple Kiwi Music

LYRICS

Pity, take pity on me.
    Cause I'm not half the man that I should be.
    Always turning to run,
    From the people I should not be afraid of.

And darling, you should know
    That I have fantasies about being alone.
    It's like love is a lesson,
    That I can't learn.
    I make the same mistakes at each familiar turn.

I know you can't hold out forever
    Waiting on a diamond and a tether
    From a boy who won't swim
    But who will dip his toe in
    Just to keep you here with him.

I've got this habit I abhor.
    When we go out I'm always watching the door.
    Cause if there's someone I'm gonna see
    Who could outdo the things you do to me.

And I know you can't hold out forever
    From a boy who won't fly
    But who will take to the skies if he thinks you are about to say goodbye.

Pity, take pity on me.
    Cause I'm not half the man that I should be.
    And I don't blame you,
    You've had enough,
    Of all these empty promises and countless bluffs.

Cause I know you can't hold out forever
    From a boy who won't jump when he falls in love.
    He just stands with his toes on the edge
    And he waits for it do disappear again.

Crush Culture by Conan Grey is one of my ace anthems!! It has some great lines... my personal favorite being “No one cares if you two made out”. 

I've always liked the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, but I think the Sleeping with Sirens cover is better... Either way, it's a beautiful song with lyrics that make me cry 😅

1 hour ago, LivO said:

Crush Culture by Conan Grey is one of my ace anthems!! It has some great lines... my personal favorite being “No one cares if you two made out”. 

I'd never heard of this song before, but I just listened to it, and it's a part of my playlist now! 😁 Thanks!

19 hours ago, Levathanks said:

For me I gotta say diamond and a tether by death cab for cutie. It was wild hearing it and connecting to it so hard because it is..softer than the music I'm really into.

This is also softer than a lot of music I listen to (and softer than I expected a band with Death in the name to be lol), but you're right, it's really good! I read that the singer actually is aro, so maybe that's why it's so relatable 👍🏻

8 hours ago, graced825 said:

I've always liked the song Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, but I think the Sleeping with Sirens cover is better... Either way, it's a beautiful song with lyrics that make me cry 😅

Me too! I'll have to listen to the cover :)

I'm fairly recent to thinking about this stuff and my anthem has been 'Walk Unafraid', the First Aid Kit cover. I'm pretty certain it's not meant to be about asexuality/aromanticism but I hear a lot of the lyrics as being about not wanting/fitting in with a "normal" relationship path (which is something I was trying to do for way too long), especially these bits:

Everyone walks the same
Expecting me to step
The narrow path they've laid
They claim to
Walk unafraid
I'll be clumsy instead
Hold me, love me, or leave me high
Say "Keep within the boundaries if you want to play"
Say "Contradiction only makes it harder"
How can I be
What I want to be
When all I want to do is strip away
These still constraints
And crush this charade
Shred this sad masquerade
I don't need no persuading
I'll trip, fall, pick myself up and
Walk unafraid

Also, I think it's a really pretty song :D
Skipper Valvoline

Delta Rae has a song called "If I Loved You" which basically sums up why I ended my last relationship.

MEGA Aro-ace vibes. Perhaps a bit bittersweet, but still on point.

• 6 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 9:59 AM, Beaver Boy said:

This one right here!:

https://nextstepcake.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/asexual-the-echoes-c-1985-lyrics-transcript/

Asexual is the title, and it was written in 1985. Unfortunately, it sounds like 60s doo-wop (not bad music, but not my favorite like "80s-sounding" music)

the lyrics look amazing! but i think the actual songs been removed from yt for some reason..

The very on the nose "We don't have to take our clothes off" originally by Jermaine Stewart in 1986. The music video is EVERYTHING, btw. 

I first heard the song via the more recent remake by Ella Eyre. The chorus is just....*chefs kiss.*

"We don't have to take our clothes off
To have a good time
Oh no
We could dance and party all night
And drink some cherry wine, oh"

On 10/13/2020 at 12:54 AM, Tsareena said:

if you are going to reduce me to where my genitalia has been. Sorry. 

ICONIC. I stan.

idk if its already been mentioned or not but as an aroace i like to consider Oh No! by Marina and the Diamonds an ace-related anthem of mine

Cinematic
16 hours ago, kenny. said:

idk if its already been mentioned or not but as an aroace i like to consider Oh No! by Marina and the Diamonds an ace-related anthem of mine

Plus the Just Dance for it was brilliant 

Cowgirl_Kat

"Show Yourself" from Frozen 2 for ace and aro.

Especially the part that says, "you are the one you've been waiting for all or your life."

I see it as you are enough even if you don't have or don't want a romantic or sexual partner. You are whole, not broken.

I'm a heteroromatic ace, but happily single and still like the message.

Also Idina Menzel has such a powerful voice.

MelancholySunMoth

For me, it's Sun Moth by Fever the Ghost. It has absolutely nothing to do with asexuality but it was a song I listened to a lot while I was figuring this stuff out. It sounds like adventure and discovery, and it's got a very whimsical vibe. For a long time, I felt broken. It was so liberating to finally find that there was nothing wrong with me, and Sun Moth represents that to me. So, you know, that's what's up with my username

Isobel by Bjork is very special to me as an aro/ace anthem: My name Isobel / Married to myself / My love Isobel / Living by herself

Spoiler

It is also a "leave me alone and let me do my thing without judgement" song (as I interpret it at least: When she does it she means to) which I find empowering from an ace perspective. Other songs I listen to which give me that feeling (and are thus on my "loosely aro &/or ace" playlist) include:

--Get Out Of My House by Kate Bush

--Venus Fly by Grimes

--World Princess part II by Grimes

--Malibu by Hole

Other ace & aro songs I listen to that aren't based purely on my own personal associations are For Me by Dearlie and Love Love Love by Of Monsters And Men

faerie dude
On 11/13/2017 at 4:16 PM, Beaver Boy said:

The Ace of Spades by Motorhead

+1! I don't even gamble, I just like to shout THE ACE OF SPADES! THE ACE OF SPAAADES!!!! at the top of my lungs lmao

Archived