Welcome Older Asexuals

Let Them Beet Cake

Hi Naomi2002 and welcome!🧁  I'm a newbie also, only been here about a month and I only figured out I was aro ace a year ago when I was 60.  You've come to the right place for help, there's lots of great people here who can help you gain some insight.  May I suggest a book that was a big help to me, The Invisible Orientation  by Julie Sondra Decker.  It's a good starting point for understanding asexuality. 

• Like 1
On 11/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, Let Them Beet Cake said:

Hi Naomi2002 and welcome!🧁  I'm a newbie also, only been here about a month and I only figured out I was aro ace a year ago when I was 60.  You've come to the right place for help, there's lots of great people here who can help you gain some insight.  May I suggest a book that was a big help to me, The Invisible Orientation  by Julie Sondra Decker.  It's a good starting point for understanding asexuality. 

Hi Let Them Beet Cake, and thank you for your mutual newbie welcome!  I appreciate the book recommendation too - I will take a look.

Your username is making me see red velvet cake in particular... yum  😉

I haven’t been here for a while but I run a zoom call for Ace women every 3 weeks. We’re currently 3 in Canada, 3 in the US and 2 in the UK. Looking to connect with new friends? Message me and I’ll invite you to our group of amazing women 😀

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
silversparkles54

Hi, I am new here. So glad I found this site, and information that makes sense of what my feelings in life have been. I'm 54, been married twice, and have children and grandchildren. I have never understood what the big deal was about sex, and why everyone else seemed to put such a high priority on it. I did it in my relationships, because it was expected, and I cared about the other person and wanted to make them happy. In my marriages, I didn't do it as often as they would have liked, though, because it wasn't a priority or physical need for me. Now that I have learned about asexuality, I understand why. I have always been romantic, but at this stage of my life feel happy being single, and not worried about relationships. I am looking forward to reading the posts on this site by others who have similar feelings. 

• Like 2
On 1/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, silversparkles54 said:

Hi, I am new here.

Welcome and :cake: !

• Like 1
On 1/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, silversparkles54 said:

at this stage of my life feel happy being single, and not worried about relationships. I am looking forward to reading the posts on this site by others who have similar feelings. 

Welcome to AVEN :cake:. When I found about asexuality way back in 2005 I felt the same way. I didnt have to concern myself with two things I had put little or no effort into...

• Like 2
silversparkles54

Thank you for the warm welcome. :) I will definitely check out the article, and the over 50's group, too. I appreciate it!

• Like 2

@silversparkles54, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Riverman 3 said:

Thanks. I am 65, male, ran hetero almost to here.  Now....trans do it for me...

Thanks

Welcome to AVEN. I'm 59 and have identified as asexual since I was 44.

26 minutes ago, Eldritch_ said:

Hello :) - I’m 34 from Canada - nice to meet everyone 😃 

welcome and :cake: !

46 minutes ago, Eldritch_ said:

Hello :) - I’m 34 from Canada - nice to meet everyone 😃 

Welcome to AVEN from southern Ontario :cake: . If you ever feeling like chatting PM me.

@eldritch, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sheddy said:

Hello, I am 48, from UK and identify as asexual but heteroromantic male.

Welcome to AVEN from Canada! :cake:

• Like 1

@Sheddy, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1

Does 70 count as “older”? 

Edited by Dave70
grammar
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Dave70 said:

Does 70 count as “older”? 

Depends on how you feel! Welcome to AVEN from Canada :cake: :)

Just now, will123 said:

Depends on how you feel! Welcome to AVEN from Canada :cake: :)

My Primary Care doctor says, “This is rather embarrassing Dave, but I am 42 and medically you are younger than than I.” I will stay here though, my children are in their forties and I have answers to questions that have not occurred to them yet.

• 7 months later...

I’m 71 years old and I just found out today that there is actually a name for my sexuality, or lack there of. Asexual. I am relieved, validated and filled with awe. At the same time a bit afraid. I don’t know what the fear is about but am acknowledging it as there. 

I have no idea where this information will take me in my life but I’m grateful to have it.

• Like 7

@Cookii, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Cookii said:

I’m 71 years old and I just found out today that there is actually a name for my sexuality, or lack there of. Asexual. I am relieved, validated and filled with awe. At the same time a bit afraid. I don’t know what the fear is about but am acknowledging it as there. 

I have no idea where this information will take me in my life but I’m grateful to have it.

Welcome and :cake:

It's all part of the journey. Enjoy the ride. :D 

• Like 1

@Cookii Welcome to AVEN! :cake: I wasn't wondering about my sexuality but it was a relief for me as well when I found out about asexuality.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 8:17 PM, Cookii said:

Welcome @Cooki it's liberating to discover you aren't alone - and to discover there's a community out there :) . Don't worry about jumping in to conversations - we're a very friendly bunch...and don't forget the :cake: :D 

• Like 2