Sleep (Poll)

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Sleep (...My Elusive Friend)  

167 members have voted

1. 1. On average, how many hours of sleep would you say you get a night during the week?

• None. Sleep is for the week (<- hahaha pun. i'm tired. don't judge me.)
    • 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10+
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use the weekend to catch up on sleep?

• Yes/ If i had a busy week
    • No/ I get about the same amount of sleep every night
    • Who's askin'? (Sometimes)
    • Other
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself to be an insomniac?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have episodes here and there
    • Other
  4. 4. Do you have hypnic jumps? (jolting awake as you're falling asleep)

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes but rarely
    • No
    • Other
  5. 5. What's the longest amount of hours you've stayed awake at any given time?

• 10 hours or less
    • 10-24 hours
    • 25-36 hours
    • 37-48 hours
    • 49-60 hours
    • 61-72 hours
    • 72+ hours
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

I picked other for #2 because I definitely get different amounts of sleep on the weekends, but that's because I only work weekends, so I catch up on sleep during the week.

I probably usually get around eight hours of sleep, but considering that I try for ten hours every night, that's not doing so well. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily an insomniac, but I definitely have times when I can't get to sleep (it's happily been a while since I couldn't get to sleep all night), and it often takes me an hour or so to get to sleep. I can never take naps unless I'm really sick, so I try very hard not to get in a situation where I'm not getting enough sleep at night -- it just doesn't always work out.

If anything I actually get less sleep on average on weekends and holidays, and that's because I'm trying to adjust my schedule somewhat to those around me. I've had hypnic jumps a few times -- they freak me out -- but usually only if I'm worrying about something, or at least that's when I remember it happening.

I've stayed awake something close to 48 hours once or twice. I don't like it. It's not pleasant.

1. I usually get 5-8 hours of sleep. More on my days off if I am not busy.

2. Sometimes

3. Depends on my bipolar, so yes.

4. I get hypnagogic ticks very bad, along with hallucinations. 

5. I have stayed up for 3 days straight before. 

I normally reckon on around five hours, although sometimes less. I'll get an extra hour or so on Sunday to catch up a bit 

I work in shifts so I'm continuously jetlagged. My "nights" consist of anywhere from 4-11 hours.

Longest I've been awake is 34 hours and it was an interesting experience. It went ok up until about 30 hours, at which point I got to know the phrase "sleeping with your eyes open". No matter how hard I fought, my brain wanted to shut down and I just lost the fight at hour 34. No hallucinations, but it was weird how my eyes were unable to focus. It was followed by my longest sleep ever!

1.) I get between 7 and 9 or 10 hours of sleep depending how tired I am and if I can sleep in or not..

2.) not really, I do sleep in though..

3.) No

4.) rarely, but sometimes.. 

5.) ca. 40h, just wasn't tired when I finally got back from a concert.. 

cosmosredshift7

I have insomnia in the sense that I have trouble STAYING asleep, not falling asleep. Before taking my current medication, seroquel, I woke up roughly 7 times a night. Now, on the medication, I wake up between 2 and 6 times a night. <_< I  have always had this problem sleeping, and nothing has ever worked to keep me asleep for more than 4 hours at a time, no matter how exhausted I am. And naps are a weekend luxury I 100% take advantage of.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
11 hours ago, gale harper said:

I have insomnia in the sense that I have trouble STAYING asleep, not falling asleep. Before taking my current medication, seroquel, I woke up roughly 7 times a night. Now, on the medication, I wake up between 2 and 6 times a night. <_< I  have always had this problem sleeping, and nothing has ever worked to keep me asleep for more than 4 hours at a time, no matter how exhausted I am. And naps are a weekend luxury I 100% take advantage of.

^SAME!!!!! Except i have trouble both falling to sleep & staying asleep. I wake every 2-3 hours and if i take a nap at any point in the day, trust & believe i will be awake until 4 a.m (minimum)

6 hours i would say. I cant sleep longer then that.

Once, on my way to Spain for my study abroad experience, I planned poorly and went 33 hours without any sleep (I can't sleep on transportation) and about 45 hours on only 2 hours of sleep.

During the summer, if I let myself sleep in for weeks on end, my sleep schedule will slowly slide later and later, until it takes me 2+ hours to fall asleep and I cannot do so any earlier than like 4:30 am no matter how I try. Otherwise though I'm not usually an insomniac per se. Just takes me awhile to get to sleep (avg 30 min).

• 2 weeks later...

1. About 8 hours

2. When I'm in school or working, yes

3. Most of the time 

4. Yes, but rarely 

5. About 27 hours 

On another note, I get giggly when tired. 

1. I usually sleep 4-6 hours but, often enough to note it, sometimes I sleep 2-3 hours a night. I rarely sleep under 2 hours, and if I do I'll find time to sleep later in the morning or day. There's been times I wake up after a very short time with a lot of energy and be active for a few hours - ready for my day - only to get tired again and go back to sleep until 10 or noon.
  2. weekends I usually sleep the same amount. especially if I had regular sleep for at least 5 days prior - then my body just, sticks to the routine. in college this was annoying 'cause I'd be looking for things to do and would have no one to do anything with until much later - it seemed as if everyone else slept until lunch and then still was half-asleep for awhile. Those who were awake this early would be more interested in being asocial at these times too.. happy for the piece and quiet... haha
  3. I answered "other" for this, I'll explain later in the post.
  4.  I do sometimes - and when I do I get them 3-7 times before getting into quality sleep. or - well it happens a ton if I'm resisting sleep, but I don't count that for this question, right?
  5. longest was 25-36 hours, I did it twice - no, three times. the first time I regretted it - it wasn't worth it. I got Super hungry beginning after 20 hours - the more I was still awake, the hungrier I'd get faster. The second time - I did it unintentionally - staying up addictively playing a new game I'd found - I drank nothing but soda all day and didn't even feel all that tired - I noticed that I was beginning to lose focus/mental fortitud, but it wasn't enough for me to care to try to sleep lol.

so - the interesting things about my sleep. I struggled with chronic insomnia for over 9 years - I'm not sure exactly how long. I suspect 13 years even, perhaps more, but not sure. I'd have a very hard time falling asleep - at least two hours almost every night, often longer than that - awake until 3 or 4am sometimes, only to wake up shortly after 6 for my alarm for school. It got to a point where I'd not even bother to try to sleep before 1 am because it felt futile.

But - as I grew older I learned my sleep patterns a little better - I'd start to play FE7 regularly before falling asleep, and I'd start to find a certain feeling of tired that prettymuch would always lead to being asleep within 7 minutes if I'd wait for that feeling and put down the game and turn off the light. tho it'd still take 1-2 hours to get there, of laying in bed, playing my game. I'd also listen to music often, and between those two patterns, slowly over the years I'd lessen and lessen how bad my insomnia was, getting to a point where often I'd be able to reach that "7 minutes signal" only after a half hour of restfulness. 

I also discovered that my healthiest sleep is about 5 hours and 20 minutes - so there was a point in college where, upon laying down for rest, I'd time 5 hours and 20 minutes plus how much I need to fall asleep - I had a sort of sense to how long it'd take to fall asleep at that time, surprisingly accurate - and in having all these patterns they were self-enforcing. I even was lucky - to discover because my alarm for some reason kept gaining minutes between alarms, until I was more consistent in pushing only the buttons I needed to push - it resulted in a "snooze" timer of about 7 minutes, which apparently is the perfect amount of time for me for snoozing. I'd snooze many many times before this, but with 7 minutes it 80% of the time I'd wake up after only 1 snooze, and get up. and after the second, if for whatever reason I didn't want to snooze, it'd pattern out to being wakeful each time until I'd be bold enough to get up, but not at all disruptive to be alarmed. that alarm was my favorite, especially its alarm sound - I miss it. it's the only alarm (besides my current one) which I didn't get used to and start to sleep through xD

But, even at this point I still consider myself to have suffered from chronic insomnia - even tho I was more often getting sufficient sleep, at least once a week and sometimes more often I'd not. and, I had to actively work each night to consciously use patterns to help normalize my behaviors. And - sometimes for an extended number of months, nothing I'd do would work, and my 2 hour waiting for sleep or more would return for some time.

But about two years ago - or was it last year - I did some skimming through some books about insomnia and sleep, and between the direct experimentations I've done all through my life, combined with some of the comments i read - I identified 3-7 behaviors which could work to help me solidify quality sleep patterns, and I applied them. for example I started to make sure I have lights on in my room during daylight hours, and lights out before sleeping. I'd make sure that my sleeptime activity was of a certain nature, and would be only 1 activity - not dancing between facebook and one game and another game, but, to only play one game. or to only post on AVEN. or to watch 1 longer youtube video. but only that one thing. and during this hour it was lights out, and whatever I did during this hour I hadn't been doing before it that evening. and - in addition to these habits I was implementing from the research - I also came to realize that, as long as I'm restful for 7 hours a night, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get - I will get adequate rest the following day.

so since then, for the past year or two I forget exactly how long, I no longer consider myself to have chronic insomnia. I have high confidence that my difficults with getting enough sleep will no longer haunt me. sometimes, I do only get a few hours sleep - but it's so natural for me to adapt to such scenarios, that I don't consider them to be a night of insomnia anymore. they aren't disruptive to me in any way. tho I might casually use the word "night of insomnia" to refer to them in casual conversation still... I don't formally actually consider them insomnia nights anymore, and they are rare.

Hermit Advocate

I get anywhere from 1-6 hours of sleep per night.

I can't catch up on sleep during the weekend, it just doesn't work.

I'm not really an insomniac. I have non-24 and delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS). So for the sake of the poll I clicked yes.

Yes I have hypnic jumps. At least every other day.

I've stayed awake for 53 hours before. And I went to school and functioned during that time.

1. Preferably all the time. Nah, just kidding. About 7-9.

2. Sometimes.

3. Yes.

4. No.

5. About 19 hours?

• 1 month later...
Lotta_Biscotti

Changes in my work schedule kinda wrecked my sleep, because I work early, and that means responsibility totally cuts into my nightlife and (already small) amount of time with friends. I used to get a good 7-8, but now I'm down to 4-6, and sometimes even when I'm trying to be good and conk out, I can't. Other times it's like 2PM and I'm exhausted.

Hurricane Irma gave me the longest time awake that I'd experienced, and surprisingly the least unpleasant of such a stretch once I got to the airport. If you have to be awake, be at a nice airport. I think I went through 4 large unsweet teas, at least 6 coffees, and some chocolate for the caffeine I needed to stay up until it was time for my flight (I arrived more than a day in advance, to avoid traffic woes). When I got in, I stayed awake to spend time with my friend, and ended up nodding off after what I think was about 50 hours awake. And that was on 3 miserable hours of sleep the night before leaving, so, uh... I was basically half dead.

Oh yeah. Here's a fun sleep thing I do: I sleep like a corpse. I don't move at all, while asleep, other than breathing. I went from lightest sleeper I know to one of the heaviest when being depped really badly in college, back to light again. I will wake up if lights flash (and they prevent me from sleeping), or if my fan turns off, or if the door in the next room closes, or if anything at all touches me or the bed that I can feel. The apartment's in a noisy area though, and as a side effect, police sirens and emergency vehicle noises have become relaxing to me and don't wake me up. The sound of a plastic bag crinkling will wake me up, but not Fire Rescue. :|

1. Typically 4-6 hours. I can do more, but beyond 8 I tend to actually feel worse than if I had not slept at all. It's like zombie mode.

2. Sometimes? I honestly don't pay much attention to whether I sleep more on specific days. Maybe.

3. At times. I do occasionally have trouble falling asleep.

4. Rarely, but I'm pretty sure I've had it happen before.

5. 49 - 60. I know I can stay up at least 2 full days without issue. Haven't really tried more though.

I don't always sleep for a full 8 hours each night, but I'm in bed with the lights out for between 8 and 9 hours to at least give my body the opportunity to rest for that long.

Knowing that I need to wake up at a certain time really messes with my ability to sleep. Even if I only sleep for 6 hours on a weekend night, it tends to be much more restful than 8 hours on a weekday, when some part of me is perpetually worried about sleeping through my alarm. (I've only done this 2 or 3 times in my life, and no dire consequences would result, and yet...)

I'm an insomniac. The only way I'm able to sleep is thanks to sleeping pills. : ( And sometimes those don't even help. So. :P But in general I try to get at least 7 hours...unless my mind decides not to cooperate. 

• 10 months later...

@ItWasNiceKnowingYou

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived