Crush, Squish, Squash?

AthenaTheHumanist

AthenaTheHumanist

This is for reference for the main body of my post.

The definition of a crush, as I understand it: a strong emotional desire to be in a romantic relationship with a particular person.

Definition of a squish, as I understand it: a strong emotional desire to be friends / good friends with a particular person. 

I have occasionally had feelings that, at the time, I called crushes. At present, I'm not quite sure that those feelings meet the above definitions of crush or squish.

I didn't have sexual feelings for them (the person I had feelings for). I haven't ever wanted to kiss them either. In short, I don't think those feelings were romantic or sexual.

But I didn't exactly want to be friends, except as a stepping stone to a more intimate relationship. I wanted to be life partners. To be in a relationship that might culminate in a legal marriage. I'd say now that I wanted to be their zucchini.

But neither the word crush nor the word squish seems to describe my feelings. (unless I'm mistaken about my definitions, which is possible) Is there already a word for this definition: a strong emotional desire to be in a zucchini type relationship with a particular person?

I haven't found any yet.

If there isn't already such a word (please let me know if there is), and if my definitions above are correct (again, please let me know if they're not), then could we call such feelings a squash?

It might look like this,

Squash: a strong emotional desire to be in a queer platonic / zucchini type relationship.

I was wondering if there was a term for this!

AthenaTheHumanist

I just thought it up a couple days ago. I do think that it fits ok, given that it is enough like the words crush and squish that it at least sounds a bit related. Also, I like that it's a play on words; the vegetable zucchini is literally a species of squash. 

But if there is a better word for it somewhere, I would like to know about it. Using a more well known or more intuitive word decreases the likelihood that I'll need to explain the definition to everyone that I use it with. 

Archived